*UPDATED* pre-e

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2007, 07:52 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
Hi, I had a doc appointment on friday- all was well, hb was good, weight gain was good-I had my group b strep test.

normally when the doc checks my urine she says..."urine looks good" we'll this time she didn't. Once she left the room my husband looked at the strip and the reading was almost to the point of "trace amount of protien in the urine". Also, I had a doc appointment but it would have been in a week and a half instead of the weekly appointment, we'll she went out to the receptionist to make sure I was back in a week and not a day later.

i'm wondering if this could be the start of pre-e. I had it with my son and everything looked "a-ok" until my 37 week appointment. I am 36 weeks today.

what do you all think?

has anyone else had a similar experience?

thanks!

*UPDATED 6/12/2007*

We'll, I did some research online and found this:

Your midwife or doctor dips a paper strip (dipstick) into a sample of urine from that day. The test shows whether protein is there and gives an indication of how much. A tiny amount of protein is written in your notes as a “trace”. This is nothing to worry about. More than a trace of protein is noted as one or more + signs, up to four at the most.

What if protein is found? If you have one + or more of protein and high blood pressure (usually more than 90mmHg diastolic – the lower number) you may have pre-eclampsia and will need extra care from now on. You may be asked to collect urine over a 24 hour period, to measure exactly how much protein you have. Protein in your urine is not very likely to be a sign of infection, particularly if you have no other symptoms.

I started to think more and more about my appointment and remembered I glanced over at my chart and noticed she put a "+" sign down, I didn't think anything at the time of it but then I read that paragraph above.

my question..is protein in your urine in and of itself bad? or does it have to be joined by high b/p?

</div><div align="center">

</div>
June 10th, 2007, 01:23 PM
klfc28
I have no experience with that myself. I am only about 20 weeks along with my first.

But wanted to wish you luck and hope its not the start of pre-e. How was your blood pressure?
June 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM
jenniferleighxo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to jenniferleighxo
bump

</div><div align="center">

</div>
June 17th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually had preeclampsia with my first which then got worse and ended up with HELLP Syndrome, which is why I am high risk now. But I do believe a little protien i nyour urine should be ok, as long as everything else is showing ok.... here is some info for protien in your urine from the preeclmpsia foundations website (a great site for anyone who thinks or has preeclampsia of HELLPs)...

Proteinuria (Protein in your urine)

Proteinuria is the result of proteins, normally confined to the blood, spilling into your urine because the small blood vessels in the kidneys become damaged. A simple dipstick test of your urine at each prenatal check-up can screen for proteinuria.

What you can do...

At each prenatal visit ask for the results of the urine test. Usually the nurse dips a reagent strip into your urine sample and then waits a minute for the results. The strips have the markings for "trace", 1+, 2+, etc. A reading of trace protein is relatively common and is usually not a cause for concern. If the strip shows a reading of 1+ or greater, it may signify the onset of preeclampsia, even if your blood pressure is less than 140/90. If you have a reading of 2+, call your health care provider immediately. If you are concerned, or have had preeclampsia before, you can buy reagent strips at some pharmacies or online. They are not cheap and insurance might not cover them.

Sometimes health care providers will have the mother take a 24-hour urine collection for a formal lab assessment. This is not a particularly pleasant task, but if you have been asked to do this, follow the directions of your health care provider carefully, and make every effort to be accurate.

Dark yellow urine is usually the result of inadequate fluid intake and dehydration. However, urine that is quite dark, reddish or the color of cola may indicate a problem. If you have any of these symptoms, inform your care provider.

June 17th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Protien in the urine is one of several complications and you need to have 3 before anyone will diagnose you with pre- ecclampsia. Headache? High blood pressure, blured vision, edma etc....

Preecclampsia is more common in first pregnancies but it doesn't mean you can't get it on a second.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
June 22nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Pnutsmomma
i had protein in my urine all thru my pregnancy,all the docs would tell me was to quit the caffeine n drink alot more water. it wasnt a concern until my son stopped moving n my bp was high,thats when i had my labor induced
so i guess protein in the urine is normal?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search