We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I just found out my baby boy has SUA (Single Umbilical Artery) as well as only a left kidney. Everything else looked good but I am sick of looking it up on the internet because it is just making me worry. Any advice????
I am currently pregnant with a little boy and have an SUA. He had both kidneys, and they did a lot of looking for any other abnormalities of which there were none. If you ever want to talk, or have any questions, feel free to PM me at anytime.
By the way, stop looking things up, you will totally freak yourself out. I did the same thing!
Thanks for the replies. Other than the level II u/s we had done a few days ago they said they don't want to see me for another eight weeks to see if any other problems have come up. That just seems so long from now to which their response was that their would be nothing they could do anyways. But, if he does in fact stop growing then wouldn't it be better to deliver him early? I'm just so confused.
Thanks for the replies. Other than the level II u/s we had done a few days ago they said they don't want to see me for another eight weeks to see if any other problems have come up. That just seems so long from now to which their response was that their would be nothing they could do anyways. But, if he does in fact stop growing then wouldn't it be better to deliver him early? I'm just so confused.[/b]
Whoa!! 8-weeks?? I can't believe that they would make you wait that long! My doctors are not too concerned about this at all, but I have been seen every two weeks to mark fundal height. Usually if there is going to be slowing in his growth, it will occur later in the pregnancy. My doctors said that if they thought he would be getting more nutrition outside of me at that point, that they would then take him; however, I have three other children that all measured small for their gestational age, this one is the only one that has measured a week ahead the entire pregnancy. Apparently he is getting plenty of nutrients at this point.
it is certainly not better to deliver him at 20 weeks. How early did you have in mind?
While he is in you your body does all his body's work so he is pretty safe there for now.[/b]
While yes, his chances are slim at being delivered at 20 weeks a baby with intrauterine growth retardation will be still born if not detected and knowing that a baby with an SUA has a 20% chance intrauterine growth retardation I would rather them check on it every two weeks in case he would need to be delivered immediately.
I didn't have a SUA but both of his arteries were blocked one was 100% blocked and the other was almost 90% blocked. They put me in the hospital for a month to keep an eye on things, I was there from 28-32 weeks. Then they sent me home and I was on complete bedrest with US and NST 3 times a week. He also had IUGR with his head measuring 4 weeks ahead of his chest. I looked up info on the net and was terrified. I stopped looking while I was in the hospital because I was so worried.
My son was born 2 days late and healthy. He weighed 6 lbs 3 ozs. He's going to be 2 in October. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them. My son had both kidneys, I forgot to add that part. Good luck to you.