High Cholesterol and Anemia

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM
jellybellybean's Avatar Regular
I just got back some lab results (I'm 17 weeks) that say I have high cholesterol (290 when normal is considered 200-240) and am anemic. So, a little history first!

During childhood I had high cholesterol, even for an adult. Horrible eating habits (my mom was clueless about nutrition, she was a teen mother) and suffered depression, so I was very inactive. That combo led to having high cholesterol in the third grade, with diet and exercise I got it under control and since then had normal cholesterol. I've battled weight problems all my life, but never had high cholesterol save that one time as a kid. Before getting pregnant I was size 10/12 (I'm 5'8'' tall), last week I had to finally buy maternity clothes and they're all maternity size 12. I guess I'm trying to point out that I'm not morbidly obese! I rarely eat red meat, maybe once a week, never eat out (perhaps twice a month at most), don't cook with animal fats, I don't eat crap like chips or cake (very very rarely), if anything I'm more of a carb addict with stuff like rice and potatoes or macaroni. Anyway, I guess I'm puzzled as to why my cholesterol went up. Last time I tested was in 2004 and it was normal. I'm concerned about how this might affect my pregnancy! Does anyone else have this problem or know about it?

Also, before getting pregnant I was considered 'slightly anemic' or 'borderline', that's what my doctor said. Now it seems I'm full blown! I take a prenatal, now I'm going to take an iron supplement. I'm also incorporating more iron rich foods in my diet, though now I'm wary of eating red meat which is full of iron! I have to exercise to lower my cholesterol, but the anemia makes me feel so weak and tired. I feel like I have so much working against me!

Has anyone else had to deal with anemia during their pregnancy? I'm totally worried about how it'll affect the baby.

June 29th, 2007, 06:21 AM
klfc28
Anemia is super common in pregnancy and is usually treated with an iron supplement, so if you were already low/borderline its going to be really low during pregnancy. Its nothing too major to worry about, since the majority of pregnant women are anemic.

Not sure on the cholesterol issue though. I only know 2 men with it, one being my husband. Cholesterol is a tricky thing. Both my dad and husband have bad cholesterol. They are both super active people, but from what I have read and researched, it is actually common for atheletes to have higher cholesterol - for some reason the extra running/jogging increases it - wierd, huh? My DH went on meds for it late last year and started reducing the foods with high cholesterol in it and increased foods that help lower it. After a few months he got tested again and it had increased! I am still working on getting him back in to see the doc about getting different meds or plan of action, since he gave up and stopped taking the meds they gave him.

If there is not much online that you can find through search engines, just sit down with your regular doctor or OB and talk to them about your concerns. I wouldn't think it would cause any pregnancy issues/complications. And sometimes it just goes up for whatever reasons.....

Good luck!
June 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
you should find good cholesterol foods or no cholesterol foods to eat.

An avocado is rich in good cholesterol, the kind you want that also drives down your bad cholesterol.

I take an apple cider vinegar tablet a day to help keep my cholesterol down. Its safe when pregnant.

Exercise is the best way.

As for the anemia you need to take that suppliment. It may stop you from pooping.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search