Placenta Previa - Steriod Shots

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hi there. I am 28 weeks pregnant with total placenta previa. I have not had any bleeding yet (luckily) which surprises my doctor. My doctor is recommending I get 2 steroid shots to develop the baby's lungs in case I start to bleed or begin preterm labor. I am concerned about giving this baby anything "un-natural" unless necessary - bleeding or preterm labor, however from what I've read the benefits are supposed to outweigh the negatives. Has anyone been in this situation or similiar situation that could give me some advice? Thanks so much !!!
June 28th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had complete previa with my son and also had no bleeding the entire pregnancy! It's amazing really. I never got the steroid shots though, my dr. didn't even mention them. His thinking was as long as I hadn't had any bleeding than there wasn't a need to add steps unnecessarily.
I delivered my son as scheduled at 36 weeks when an amnio proved his lungs were mature. He was in the nicu for a week as he was a little guy and had some problems at first being so small.
I understand your concerns. I guess it comes down to if you trust your dr or not. Me personally, I would probably hesitate if I'd had no problems yet. If you ever need to chat with a mama who's been through it, feel free to pm me!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

June 29th, 2007, 04:48 AM
klfc28
My SIL got the shots when she was pregnant with my nephew. But she didn't get them until a day or two before they induced her. She had pre-eclampsia and they had to deliver right away at 36 weeks.

I think if they had planned a little ahead of time, since she was having other complications and had gotten the shot sooner and let it work some more, he might not have had the respitory issues he has had. He spent a lot of time in the hospital his first year and still gets sick fairly easy along with his allergies intervering with his breathing. Personally, I just don't think the shot had enough time to fully help him much. It helped some, he only had to spend 7 days in the NICU after he was born.

If it were me and I was having complications, I would get the shot as soon as possible so it would have time to work, especially not knowing when they might need to take the baby.
June 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
all the steriod shot does is help the baby's lungs make surfactant
I would get it. Better safe than sorry. And I sure hope your on bed rest / restricted activities.

My son Kristian was presenting early and I had those same shots. He is great. No lung issues what so ever.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
June 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hi there. I am 28 weeks pregnant with total placenta previa. I have not had any bleeding yet (luckily) which surprises my doctor. My doctor is recommending I get 2 steroid shots to develop the baby's lungs in case I start to bleed or begin preterm labor. I am concerned about giving this baby anything "un-natural" unless necessary - bleeding or preterm labor, however from what I've read the benefits are supposed to outweigh the negatives. Has anyone been in this situation or similiar situation that could give me some advice? Thanks so much !!![/b]
I got the shots two weeks ago. I'm 26 weeks pregnant now. I have a low lying placenta and a small hemtoma right at the edge of the placenta and I'm a bleeder so it was important for me. Course, I'm a gushing bleeder and I've had three bleeds since 16 weeks. I think it you aren't bleeding, why get it? I will tell you though that if you do decide to get it, it's no big deal. My baby seems okay and there were no side effects for me.
Quote:
Hi there. I am 28 weeks pregnant with total placenta previa. I have not had any bleeding yet (luckily) which surprises my doctor. My doctor is recommending I get 2 steroid shots to develop the baby's lungs in case I start to bleed or begin preterm labor. I am concerned about giving this baby anything "un-natural" unless necessary - bleeding or preterm labor, however from what I've read the benefits are supposed to outweigh the negatives. Has anyone been in this situation or similiar situation that could give me some advice? Thanks so much !!![/b]
I got the shots two weeks ago. I'm 26 weeks pregnant now. I have a low lying placenta and a small hemtoma right at the edge of the placenta and I'm a bleeder so it was important for me. Course, I'm a gushing bleeder and I've had three bleeds since 16 weeks. I think it you aren't bleeding, why get it? I will tell you though that if you do decide to get it, it's no big deal. My baby seems okay and there were no side effects for me.
June 29th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Super Mommy
I personnally would only get them if you start to bleed, or if you start contracting. There are side effects of the steriods on the baby and I don't plan on getting them with this pregnancy until it is necessary. On top of which they can only give you the steriods twice now in a pregnancy between 24-34 weeks and they are given 2 shots 24 hours apart.

I would do what your dr. suggests, but I would also do some research on them.
July 1st, 2007, 07:11 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. It is nice to be able to chat with other women who are in similiar situations.

I will stay "tuned in" on this message board -- and if I can help anyone with advice or just someone to share a story with, let me know !

Michelle
July 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
I just had my steroid shots two weeks ago. I'm 34 weeks and I also have complete placenta previa. I have not had any bleeds yet, but was in the hospital for a week due to preterm labor, so I had the shots then. I will be delivering at 36 week with a scheduled csection.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
July 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Placenta previa complete or partial will always deliver with a section before your due. It is the only safe way.

Good luck to you. 16 days is not long at all. It will just fly by.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 5th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey there --I just wanted to give you a quick update. I'm 29 weeks now, approaching 30 on Monday -- and I ended up getting the steroid shots this week. I got 2 injections 24 hours apart.

I'm on another message board in addition to this one, and about 90% of women who read my story on both sites recommended getting them. It is more rare to carry full term than not to, so I figured I better protect my baby, just in case. And from what I've read and heard from other women who have had this, most bleeds happen after 30 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, no bleeds as of yet !

I have an ultrasound next week, and at 35 weeks - and my doctor already scheduled my C section for 37 weeks. He wants to prevent me from going into labor on my own, due to how much blood I could loose.

So that's all for now -- I wish you all of you with CPP the best --and hopefully we can stay in touch over the next few months.
Thanks again for all your advice, I don't know one person close to me who has had this -- so it's nice to communicate with women actually going through it.

Michelle
July 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
kasie.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to kasie. Send a message via Yahoo to kasie.
Good for you for getting the shots!

I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks and was given both shots 24 hours apart, They stopped the labor thankfully. My son was born at 37 weeks and was absolutly fine with a powerful set on lungs.

Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search