Spotting at 20 weeks

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Regular
My girlfriend is about 20 weeks pregnant and tonight while wiping after she peed she had some minor spotting, is this something to worry about? The spotting was a bright red, and this is the only time she has spotted so far.

We are also high risk for down syndrome and the doctor noted something about the location of the placenta on the last ultrasound.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Worried Father
July 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM
klfc28
I am gonna guess that the doc noted that the placenta was low laying. Which can cause some bleeding, and is normal for that condition.

Sometimes the placenta attaches in funny locations, and can be very low towards the cervix either partly covering the cervix or completely covering the cervix. I would think hers in not fully covering the cervix because he would have mentioned it. It could just be low near the cervix or partly covering the cervix. When its near or over the cervix there is potential for some bleeding.

But its nothing to really be too worried about at this point in the pregnancy. In the majority of the cases, the placenta moves up and away from the cervix as the uterus grows, and that might be why he didn't mention it but made a notation of it.

As long as she is not bleeding heavily or clotting, she should be fine. But I would recommend calling her doctor on Thursday (I am assuming they are closed tomorrow for the 4th) and just let them know about it and see if they want to see her just to be on the safe side. If she starts to heavily bleed or clots, I would recommend going to your ER or Labor & Delivery Unit.

Hope this has helped. I'm not expert of course, but this was my first thought when reading your post.

Has she had an amnio test or nuchel ultrasound to check for the downs? Or are you at risk from just the blood test results? Or are there other risk factors?
July 4th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy

yeah sounds like partial previa to me...possibly a hemotoma on the placenta too but it's nothing to be horribly concerned about. I have both and I'm 27 weeks. It's just a bit of a pain in the #####. Have the doc monitor her and check on these things to determine whether or not she should go on some form of bedrest for a little while. These things have a tendency of eventually resolving. Go talk to the doctor though. any bright red bleeding should be adressed
July 4th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
if its possible placenta pervia then she must be seen by her doctor straight away.
Start dialing please.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search