Introduction

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Hi all!

I've really not explored far from my DDC but decided to see what else was out here today! I'm glad I found this board!

I knew before I became pregnant that I would be immediately labeled a high risk pregnancy. My first pregnancy last year ended in m/c at 20 weeks because of early oligohydramnios and Potter's Syndrome. So far this pregnancy has gone very well. But the low amniotic fluid was not discovered until I was 18 weeks last time, and Potter's was diagnosed at 20 weeks, so I am on pins and needles till my 20 week u/s in late August. If all goes well and Potter's does not show up again, I will remain high risk for the rest of my pregnancy to make sure low amniotic fluid doesn't become a problem again as well.

I don't particularly like my perinatologist but I only have to see him for the ultrasounds. At least he's gentle with the amniocentesis needle cuz I am a HUGE needlephobe!! My OB is fortunately fabulous!

July 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
oligohydramnios is caused by the Potter's Syndrome so if you don't have one ( and lets hope and pray you don't) Chances are small you will have the other.

Welcome to the group.

I am Mel.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 17th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Thanks Mel! I realize Potter's causes low amniotic fluid, but for some reason my OB is convinced that even without a Potter's diagnosis I will still be at risk for oligohydramnios. I feel its a pretty low risk too, as I was tested for an ability to retain fluid last time and it was determined that the oligo. was entirely caused by the Potter's and not by a simultaneous leak or tear in my womb. If the docs want to be cautious I am not going to discourage them though! I think the main concern is that there is some underlying issue they couldn't diagnose, because my womb was completely dry which is rare even for Potter's, and my baby's autopsy also revealed an anatomically whole baby with no missing kidney's or apparent blockage (also rare in Potter's, but not unheard of). We're still all a bit puzzled as to where/how the Potter's developed but there's no mistaking that it did. We're crossing our fingers that our baby has no defects and that oligo. doesn't become a separate problem either!

July 17th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Good thinking not discouraging the extra doctor attention.I wouldn't either.Well you need to always hope for the best.Is Potters syndrome genetic I am wondering? I will have to look that up.this is comforting. The risk of reoccurance is only 3%.

Did you get genetic counciling.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

July 24th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Good thinking not discouraging the extra doctor attention.I wouldn't either.Well you need to always hope for the best.Is Potters syndrome genetic I am wondering? I will have to look that up.this is comforting. The risk of reoccurance is only 3%.

Did you get genetic counciling.[/b]

Hi Cindermella! Potter's is generally nothing more than a chromosome abnormality- a freak mutation that is not genetic. Despite that we did have a genetic screening and a full autopsy. The baby's autopsy turned out to be even more confusing, as I mentioned before, but the genetic screening revealed that neither my DH nor I are carriers for any major/common genetic diseases. That was comforting. I do try to tell myself that there is every reason in the world to think I will continue to have a normal pregnancy, but you never know. I am the first person in my family, out of all my aunts, cousins, and grandmas, to have pregnancy complications so we were all a bit stunned by it. The only exception would be one grandmother who did have 3 early miscarriages in the 1940's, but also 3 healthy children.

July 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hey Sandy
was wondering how you where doing.

Well glad to hear its not genetic.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search