pyelectasis....aka dialated kidney..

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Super Mommy
hi Ladies!

I am usually in the Dec DDC but recently found out my son has a pylectasis.. which is a minor enlargement of one or both of the kidneys. his one kidney is measuring 4.4mm and they like to see it under 4mm at under 30 weeks.

she said that most of the times the baby will correct this problem before it's born, and if it doesnt antibiotics will be given to him in the hospital.. and the biggest if.. 1 out of 5,000 babies it's a "soft" sign of downs.. he has no other markings and all my screening tests have come back fine so I'm a little concerened about that ..

have any of you heard or had any experience with this??

thanks in advance for any help you might offer ..

July 19th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
I was diagnosed with that with my last child and his kidneys at birth where normal.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 19th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I was diagnosed with that with my last child and his kidneys at birth where normal.[/b]

thanks for replying, i was starting to think i was the only one..

how many weeks were you when he was diagnosed with it, and when did it work itself out.. ?
sorry i have so many questions, i've met NOONE that was told this.. so i'm just a tad curious.

thanks again.

July 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Your more than welcome.
Keep asking.

When I was pregnant with kristian, it was my first pregnancy since losing my son to malposed great vessels. I freaked when I saw two stars at the bottom of the ultrasound scan and the word pylectasis next to the stars. Freaked. But the nurse I had at the antenatal clinic ( I went weekly because of my diabetes) assured me that this could turn out ok. And happily it did.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

July 20th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Super Mommy
how often did they monitor them?
did your doctor ever mention it being a "soft" symptom of downs?

thanks again for replying, here i thought i was the ONLY girl!

July 20th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I wasn' worried about downs because I had a normal neucal translucency scan but yes it could be a sign of downs. Could be just large kidneys. I had a scan evey two weeks cause of the diabetes.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

August 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Veteran
I am in the same boat, though my case is severe. One kidney measured 9 mm and the other 18 mm at my last visit (24 weeks) both had gotten larger since my 20 week visit, but the tissue of the kidneys, the bladder and the amnio fluid all looked normal. The Dr. didn't mention anything about Down Syndrom, but I'm going to ask him next time. They'll continue to monitor me every 3-4 weeks and then I'll have to get some kind of consultation at 30 weeks. I've forgotten with whom. Anyhow, my niece had the same thing and by the time she came out there wasn't a trace of anything. She was quite normal but really fat She's such a darling!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search