unexplained 3rd trimester spotting

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
I'll try to be brief. I have a 2 year old...when i was pregnant with him they found I had a Bicornuate (or heart shaped) uterus. This puts me a high risk for complications. Preterm labor, incompetant cervix, miscarriage....a host of things. Prior to him i did have a miscarriage but they don't know if this is why. I had no trouble getting pregnant with any of them. To be safe, my doc had me going to perinatal doctors as well as him...this meant twice as many visits and more tests and ultrasounds then i can count. But other then him being breech (common with the abnormal uterus) there was no issues. It all went by perfectly. I did end up with a c-section as by 34 weeks we felt he wasn't going to turn. he never did. so he was born 2 weeks before his due date. he was perfect.

jump to now...we had so many issues this time around. When I got pregnant i had alot of spotting for like 3 weeks. They kept just saying it was ok. There was no cramping and it was just spotting. Mostly pink or brown. They did my heartbeat check at 8 weeks...all looked good. At my 11 week checkup they tried to use the doppler to find the hearbeat, they couldn't, but said not to worry...they did a scan to check for it. Well...i had a extremely tilted uterus (did with my son too) and it made it hard for the doc to see much of anything. We saw the baby...he thought he saw it move...then he said there was no heartbeat...telling me my baby must have died. I was shocked...horrified...and in disbelief of what was just said. I was alone...my hubby was at work as this was just a routine check. We then had to tell family that it was over..but doc wanted HCG levels done and another scan a few days later. I went in that friday already delt with the fact my baby died, just waiting to pass it...they scanned me...a ultrasound tech this time...there was my baby...still fine...and heart beating away at 160bpm. Was is a miracle??? i don't think so...just a HUGE mistake by the doctor. i hated that he put me through that...but he did also want to be sure before actually doing any kind of DNC and wanted the tech who only works fridays, to look me over. Stunned...we then told family we were still pregnant! It was weird. Anyway...the spotting had stopped by then...in fact a week before that happened. So going along with all my routine checks...all was going well.

Jump to 3rd trimester. Recently I went in and my blood pressure was sky high. To check for preeclampsia they had me do a 24 urine collection test for protien and had more bloodwork done. And I am monitoring my BP at home. Not related to preeclampsia, I am now having non-stress tests done. This time around I am not seeing perinatal doctors, as we felt there was no real need since upong inspection of my bicornuate during my first c-section it was determined it was only a minor defect and since things went so well with Dylan we didn't think we needed to add to my stress this time. I didn't have non-stress tests with my son. I was being monitored by ultrasound.

Anyway...i am trying to be brief here...honest! I had my checkup just on monday...another non-stress test...until she's born I'll have thess..and going 2 times a week now too. All was fine with the test. My BP was normal...urine test came back normal..blood normal...all good. Tuesday night when I wiped (in bathroom) i had some pink blood. Of course i freaked out...it was after hours...i called my doctor cause i was scared. He tried to calm me down, told me it was probably just the mucus plug but come in to him in the morning...or call him again if it gets worse. In the AM there was more pink blood. I called first thing, went in and they checked my urine, my bp and then did an ultrasound. baby is fine..kicking and heartbeat looked good. placenta looked good. no signs of bleeding inside. they checked my cervix...thick and closed...so that was good. so was told to limit activity even more now and call if pain or active bleeding. pink they said was OK...but I hate seeing anything! so there is no explaination for my spotting. i don't know if it stopped or will come back. so far today i've only had a bit of brown. it's all been mixed with clear discharge...so perhaps i did lose a bit of the mucus plug. they don't seem too worried...but i am unsure. my repeat c-section is scheduled for August 28th...i am just hoping she doesn't decide she wants to come earlier! I am only 33 weeks...it's too early...a few more weeks at least! My doc doesn't want me to labor against my old scar...so i hope she waits until her scheduled due date! Did i mention...she's also breech as of now.

so i am pretty nervous about the spotting. anyone have this in the 3rd trimester? any chance anyone here has a bicornuate uterus? Sorry for such a long post!
July 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
was there any vaginal discharge with the spoting? Did you have intercourse recently? Are you over exerting yourself in anyway? Did he ask you those three questions?

Welcome to the high risk board.

While I have had third tri spotting, it was with the mucus plug being expelled. There was mucus with the spotting and then all of a suden a few days later a huge clear nose booger textured plug.

Intercourse will in some women cause your cervix to become irritated and you could lost small amounts of blood.

Over exerting yourself too can stress your cervix and cause spotting.

What I do know is that pink spotting is alright. Brown spotting is alright. Bright red bleeding is not alright and you need present yourself immediately at your doctor or to your local labor and delivery.

Hope everything is ok.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM
yes they did ask me. well they didn't ask me about intercourse...but we haven't had any since finding out I was pregnant. Knowing I have a potential for complications we just refrain no matter what. I didn't feel like I over exerted myself, but maybe bringing in too many grocery bags at one time, or bending over a lot to clean and put stuff away...but really i feel like I mostly am resting and taking breaks. I've been doing really nothing since it happened and am having some brown right now but no more pink yet. Yes it's mixed with some discharge, but like I told them, it's not been a thick mucus, more like the stringy stuff (sorry..i know it's gross) that you get when ovulating (which I obiviously am not doing right now). But they feel I guess that it could be the mucus plug...just part of it anyway. I don't know if I'll lose the whole thing...when...in a large amount...or keep losing small amounts like now. It's been since tuesday night and am still having the discharge occasionaly and occasionally mixed with pink or brown (mostly brown now). I am trying not to worry about it...but as I'm sure we all know...it's hard to not worry when you see any kind of blood. There isn't anything else going on with it, so i guess i should just try to relax about it. I go back on Monday..so long as nothing happens in the meantime. They will probably check my cervix again along with my non-stress test and fluid level check that has now become routine.

thanks.
July 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
I've been told no bending, no lifting, no carrying grocery bags, etc. I think if you can hang on for another week or so, your baby will be fine being born a little early, but hoping that she stays in for more than a couple more weeks!
July 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy

I just had dr. appointment last week. I'm 29 wks and the doctor told me not to be alarmed if I have a little spotting. Now, I've had some big bleeds at 16, 17, and 23 wks but that's been resolved. I hear the spotting is normal.
July 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
I just called the on call doctor today...again. I wasn't sure if should. My doctor had told me that pink was ok, brown is ok, but call if there is any active bleeding...any red. When I went to the bathroom, just once so far...i had some specks...really just specks...of red blood...it makes me nervous to see that...i just didn't have any of this with my son. Anyway, the on call doctor, not my usual one, said that a few specks is probably OK and doesn't pose a risk to me or the baby so long as it isn't heavy bleeding or cramps. But I should call back if anything changes. Heavy bleeding, or cramps, or feeling like something isn't right. Then she'll want to see me at the hospital. I have an appointment on monday with my doctor, right now seems like an eternity away. She'd rather not poke around in there for just a few spots...she said doing an exam may make more bleeding...she said it's probably just irriatation of the cervix. Still, I can't help feeling uneasy about it all. Since they suspect I lost some of the mucus plug already, then this happens today...i am just not sure that this girl is gonna make it to her scheduled arrival date.

I am just waiting to hear the words "bedrest" from my doctor. I am already on very limited activity. Bedrest would be interesting with a 2 year old son at home, and no close by family or friends...i hope it doesn't come to that. I guess I'll have to have my husband do a lot more around the house now...maybe have him do the shopping. I'll have to really be careful about the bending...i don't lift a lot of things, I don't lift my son really at all...it's the bending down and squating down to pick up his toys or whatever.

thanks ladies
July 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Why wait. Limit your activities further. Clearly you are concerned so now it is time to take charge of your care.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

July 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Well the spotting seems to have stopped...for now anyway. I had another appointment today. Baby is doing fine according to the non-stress test and ultrasound check. I'll have at leat one more non-stress test and then be going 2 times a week. I have an ultrasound on friday for a growth check. She's a bit stubborn when it comes to monitoring her...she moves a lot. But they ended up getting some good readings today..so that's good. I've been really taking it easy and will continue to do so. At this point they aren't seeing any signs of stress or preterm labor. My doctor is gonna be having me do more bloodwork. Mostly it's been problems with me, not the baby. My blood pressure has been up and down. And the spotting they said was probably just irritation of the cervix...although i don't know how that happened. We haven't had sex at all. I was told even just coughing or sneezing can sometimes cause some spotting. I hope it doesn't come back. It hasn't been anything serious, but it still is nerve racking. They did discover that she is in the transverse position again. So even if I wasn't already gettting a c-section they would need to do one anyway.
July 24th, 2007, 05:03 AM
have you been spending alot of time upright? That will irritate your cervix too

Sanity is a cozy lie.

July 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Quote:
have you been spending alot of time upright? That will irritate your cervix too[/b]
hmmm...upright...like standing a lot? some days (prior to the spotting that is), i find myself busy with things around the house, or whatever and standing and walking a lot...but I did try and sit and rest when I could. Now since the spotting I have been sitting with my feet up much more. I had no clue that being upright could do that. That means sitting too I take it. So far no more spotting...I am hoping that was it, but i guess i won't be surprised if i see it again...just hope it's not worse then it was. My nurse suggested maybe if my placenta was still low lying that it could be from that...she had it with her pregnancies. According to one scan they said my placenta doesn't seem to be so low now...so I don't know. I was thinking maybe it was because it was during a time when she once again changed positions...i had felt a lot of rolling..and it's got to be getting tight in there for those kinds of movements. I thought maybe she irriated something...i often feel like she is punching my cervix...all her kicks and punches are down in that region cause she was transverse, then breech and now transverse again. We'll get another position check friday..but it really doesn't matter in my case.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search