Will I be High Risk?

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hello, I am new to this forum, but I just had my first child 3 weeks ago. He was born at 30 1/2 weeks and is still in the NICU...
I was admitted to the hospital 5 days prior to his birth for pre-term labor... the contractions kept intensifying and finally, my body just pushed through all the drugs they were giving me to stop the contractions and I had a C section and my little Cade was born...

So, all that to say... My husband and I would eventually like to have more children... Do you think I will be high risk this time around?
My pregnancy was SOOOO Normal up until the morning I was admitted into the hospital! So, since it was so normal in the beginning, will they still designate me high risk the whole time, or just farther along?

Thanks ladies!

cade james . 07.02.07 :: 3 pounds 0.7 ounces

NEED A BABY BOOK!?! :: A modern Stylish Solution ::: Ruby*Love LA
July 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
Congratulations on the birth of your son. I hope he is doing well. Sorry you had to go through preterm labor. Did they give you any reasons as why you might have gone into labor so early? It may depend on what the cause is if they would consider you high risk next time around. But certainly they will monitor you for any signs of preterm labor only because you have gone through it once already. It doesn't mean that your next one will definetly be preterm. There is usually some reason, as far as i know (although you may never know the cause), for that to happen. I am at risk for preterm labor because I have what is called a bicornuate uterus. It just means my uterus is abnormally shaped, although mine is not that severe. I went through my second pregnancy (first was miscarriage) as a high risk patient and saw specialtists as well as my OB. I had many tests and scans throughout, and they checked my cervix frequently for any signs of early labor. An incompetant cervix is another risk for someone with my condition. I went through that pregnancy with no problems except he was breech, common for my abnormally shaped uterus. This time around it's hard to say if any of the minor complications I've had are due to my condition. My doc chose not to treat me as high risk this time around from the beginning so I was on a regular schedule and only saw him. Now at 34 weeks though, things have changed and he is treating me at an elevated risk. Because I have had some minor complications, although they had always apparently intended on doing some of the high risk testing on me once I reached 30 weeks...in form of blood tests and non-stress tests. So i can only guess that they will monitor you and treat you at a higher risk then most others. But keep in mind that it doesn't mean your next one will be preterm. And being treated high risk isn't so bad. Yes you have more test and more visits, and may need to see a specialtist..but in my case, I got to see my baby on ultrasound way more then most people. I even got a 3D picture during a level 2 scan.

I hope your little guy will be able to go home with you soon. If your really concerned about further children you should ask your doctor about his thoughts on why you went into labor this early and if he/she thinks it will be a possibility next time. If they can determine the cause it will give them a better idea of your furture pregnacies, although each one is different, and there is no guarentee. My 2 have been very different.
July 24th, 2007, 10:45 PM
klfc28
I think it depends on your doctor. But most likely they will consider you somewhat high risk and will probably start monitoring you more closely after 20 weeks.

If you are not showing any signs of PTL, then they most likely won't put you on restrictions. But having your body push through all their meds to stop the contractions once might increase your level of being high risk the following route. I wouldn't worry too much - each pregnancy is so different. And look at it as you will most likely get to see your next baby a whole lot!

For instance: my SIL had a rough first pregnancy. She had constant kidney stones which caused havic on her body and there was not much they could do for her. She went into pregnancy induced hypertension and pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks and was induced right away. My nephew was in the NICU for 7 days. She is now 33/34 weeks pregnant with #2 and is having issues but completely different ones than the first pregnancy. Her body just does not like being pregnant. This time the baby is just really low and causing lots of pains. Add on UTIs and she is miserable. But so far no signs of any other issues. She just has her blood pressure monitored very often.

Oops, attack of preggo brain! I hope little Cade is doing well and will be home with you soon!!!
July 25th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
I hope your little guy is doing well. The NICU is a scary place for mom and dad, but the doctors and nurses are usually really great (you occassionally get the not so nice, know it all nurses).

Did they figure out why you had PTL? If it goes unexplained, you will probably be high risk the next time around. It all depends on your doctor/hospital. They have to cover all their bases in that aspect. Sometimes being high risk is nothing more than going in to the doctor every two weeks and more ultrasounds, sometimes it does require bedrest. Praying your little guy gains weight and is out of the NICU in record time!
July 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
If your doctor says to you you have an incompetent cervix odds are you will deliver early again unless you get a cerclage. Are they looking into why you delivered early? Did you have an infection of anykind? Did you over exert yourself in anyway.

Yes, in any other pregnancies you will be cionsidered high risk regardless of why you delivered early but like I mentioned if it was because of incompetent cerivx a simple stitch will make or break your pregnancy.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If your doctor says to you you have an incompetent cervix odds are you will deliver early again unless you get a cerclage. Are they looking into why you delivered early? Did you have an infection of anykind? Did you over exert yourself in anyway.

Yes, in any other pregnancies you will be cionsidered high risk regardless of why you delivered early but like I mentioned if it was because of incompetent cerivx a simple stitch will make or break your pregnancy.[/b]
That is what is strange, I had no risk factors and no problems up until the morning I was admitted to the hospital and Cade was born 5 days later! No infections, no diabetes, no nothing...
I will definitely be chatting with my doctor the next time around!! I had to look up what a cerclage was, but I will ask him about that too! Thanks for the information!

cade james . 07.02.07 :: 3 pounds 0.7 ounces

NEED A BABY BOOK!?! :: A modern Stylish Solution ::: Ruby*Love LA
July 25th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Then the odds are incompetent cervix was the culprit. This is something to strongly consider in sbsequent pregnancies.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 25th, 2007, 01:10 PM
SandyJ's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I was declared high risk for this pregnancy based entirely on my previous pregnancy. I had a m/c at 5 months last October because my baby had Potters Syndrome. My OB told me then I would be considered high risk during my next pregnancy just so they can watch me more closely. I have been treated as a normal pregnancy so far (I'm 4 months preggers now). At 5 months I will have my first appointment with my perinatalogist. From then on my OB expects to schedule a few more u/s than normal scheduled with the perinatalogist to keep track of my condition. If all goes well I'll still stick with my OB for non-u/s appointments. I may not even need an amnio this time if my amniotic fluid stays at normal levels.

So for me, hopefully, high risk means nothing more than extra monitoring and more u/s. I would hope with your difficulties this time around you would be deemed high risk next time just so they'll take some extra effort in checking everything. Depending on when your symptoms developed this time, you may be declared high risk early or late in your next pregnancy. Potters doesn't show until 5 months so there was no need to declare me high risk until I crossed over the 4 month mark. Congrats on your little boy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search