On the watch for Pre eclampsia

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
Well, at almost 22 weeks I've got protein in my urine. I'm going to be having a nurse visit me at home two or three times a week from now until 28 weeks, then I start NSTs and BPPs. I knew I was at risk for PIH and Pre-e again because of the blood clotting disorder, but I didn't have to be on the watch until 28 weeks with my first son. So, now I'm supposed to take it very easy, which is hard with a 21 month old, and if anything changes to go into L&D immediately. Please pray that I can make it at least 8 more weeks, I'm shooting for 30 weeks, my peri is still shooting for 35, the point at which I delivered my oldest son. My BPs have been fairly normal, low even, so now it's a waiting game.
July 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
It is oh so important that you pay attention to the warning signs. High blood pressure, headaches and swelling in the hands and feet.

Protiene in the urine could be a sign of diabetes too. When are you having your blood sugars checked?

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 25th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
I've already been checked for diabetes, I'll be re checked in 5 weeks. There is no sugar in the urine, only protein, and I'm not a high risk group for GD.
July 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
Quote:
I've already been checked for diabetes, I'll be re checked in 5 weeks. There is no sugar in the urine, only protein, and I'm not a high risk group for GD.[/b]
I've had some protein in my urine on occasion at my regular appointments...i was told that some protein can be normal if it's in the morning...dehydration apparently can make protein show up. They tell me to drink more, though i feel like i drink gallons already!. Once I started having blood pressures higher then normal (only when I am there) they decided to be safe and check for pre-eclampsia. I had to do a 24 urine test for protien and get bloodwork too. I also monitor my BP at home (I had bought a cuff back with my son). My 24 hour urine was fine and my bloodwork was fine too. My BP is still up and down, only when I am at the doctors...it stays pretty much the same when I check at home...maybe slightly elevated, but not cause for concern. In fact I have to call in my numbers tomorrow cause it was up again at my last appointment on Monday. My doctor is also gonna have me do more bloodwork at some point. I haven't had any other signs of pre-eclampsia..no swelling, no blurred vision, no headaches...it's just my BP...which does the same thing when I am not pregnant. Up at the doctors, normal at home. I didn't know protein could mean diabetes...but i thought it could mean a urine infection or kidney infection. My GD test couldn't have been better. Not even close to having it. I guess protein and diabetes makes sense cause diabetes affects the kidneys.

I hope it goes as good as it can for you and that you make it to 35 weeks...or better!
July 26th, 2007, 01:00 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Not to contradict (don't want to step on any toes) but protein in your urine isn't a sign of diabetes, it's a sign of kidney damage or pre-eclampsia.
I only know because I've had all of the above, or still do have. Sugar in the urine is a sign of diabetes or on occasion, keytones.

Just watch your pressures. I bought a blood pressure cuf and just started checking at home with my other pregnancies. Anything high and I called the OB. Most people with pre-e in their first pregnancy will do better in subsequent pregnancies. There are just a few of us strange ones that it gets worse. Hang in there and try to just take it easy.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 26th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Quote:
Not to contradict (don't want to step on any toes) but protein in your urine isn't a sign of diabetes, it's a sign of kidney damage or pre-eclampsia.[/b]
Kidney damage is a side effect of diabetes. Thats why I asked if she was checked. I have had portein and sugar in mine lol.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Quote:
Kidney damage is a side effect of diabetes. Thats why I asked if she was checked. I have had portein and sugar in mine lol.[/b]
That's true, however, it's a side effect of having diabetes for many years. I would hope they'd be doing more than just sending her home if that were the case.

I hope your pressures are behaving. They already have me on blood pressure watch. I'm doing a 24hr urine today, woohoo! Behave yourself and take it easy.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Tina, Just wondering how you are doing. How are your BPs? Did they suggest a 24 hour urine for protein? Bloodwork to check kidney and liver function? I hope things are going OK for you. I know the non stress tests make me feel a little better about things when i have them done. I've been getting them once a week for 4 weeks now...I have another on Monday and it may be my last one...we'll see. After that I start going in 2 times a week until her c-section. So long as she doesn't decide to come early or my bps keep being wacky. So far they think i've got just a little hypertension, but they are closely watching me for any changes.

Hope your doing OK.
July 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
I'm doing fine. I did a baseline 24 hour urine at 18 weeks. I'll be doing another one at my next appointment on the 13th. My pressures have been hovering low, about 113/80, so I am on the watch for other pre eclampsia symptoms, because my BPs didn't get out of control until well after I was spilling thousands of proteins, and the pre eclampsia showed over night. So, I've got to watch for liver/kidney pain, headaches, etc.
July 28th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Quote:
I'm doing fine. I did a baseline 24 hour urine at 18 weeks. I'll be doing another one at my next appointment on the 13th. My pressures have been hovering low, about 113/80, so I am on the watch for other pre eclampsia symptoms, because my BPs didn't get out of control until well after I was spilling thousands of proteins, and the pre eclampsia showed over night. So, I've got to watch for liver/kidney pain, headaches, etc.[/b]
Glad you doing OK. I hope your 24 hour urine comes back good. your pressures seem good, but I know i just read that pre-eclampsia can sneak up on ya...you may not have blood pressure issues initially...now that I've been checked for it this time around, i read a little more about it. hopefully you don't end up getting it. Hope your making out OK with your 21 month old...i know it's tough. I've got a 2 year old and have been put on limited activity too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search