Just thought I'd update here too

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2007, 12:05 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

The good is that I saw the heartbeat and the baby looks good. HB was 118bpm. It measured a few days behind so they changed my due date from the 11th to the 15th. I also got a good pic and a CD with the ultrasound which I've never had before. The Dr. said he'll add to it each time I go in.

The Bad is that I am spilling 3+ protein and my blood pressure wasn't so great. I get to do a 24hr urine and lots of blood work to check my levels, liver and kidney function.

The Ugly is that he's concerned about my eye and the possibility of a retina detachment happening. I had a not so great eye appt this week and they saw hemorrhaging in my eye. They say it can cause a retina detachment and they had to do all sorts of tests to make sure it was ok. I go back in a month for that but being pregnant can make things so much worse. If something does happen I'm not even sure what they can do. The OB is also concerned just because of all my previous bad pregnancies, my diabetes, my history of placental abruptions, premature babies, etc. He also thinks I have an enlarged thyroid so they're checking that as well.

I go back in a month and he then says he'll probably refer me to a perinatologist. Nothing can really be done for anything until after 13 weeks so the goal is to get me there first, then start medications to help everything. If I survive this with nothing bad happening, it'll be a miracle. That's what I'm praying for now.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 26th, 2007, 04:59 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
I believe in miracles.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
July 26th, 2007, 05:34 AM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
So sorry to hear all that. I hope you get some good news about something. I had to do that 24 hour urine and bloodwork too because I was throwing trace amounts of protein in my urine and have had the occasional high BP. My kidney and liver functions all came back normal. I still have the occasional high BP when at the doctor's. It helps a lot to have your own blood pressure cuff at home. I was told to get one with my last pregnancy because of the same thing (i didn't have pre-eclampsia then either). I always get better readings at home then at the office...i think it's just the stress and worry and sometimes the rushing into the office that makes mine go up sometimes.

Had you had eye trouble before being pregnant? I had no idea such a complication could happen. Would that be from high blood pressure? Hopefully it's not as bad as they think and they can do something to help you.

Glad you got to see the hearbeat. That's always encouraging. Seeing a perinatolgist may be a very good idea in your situation. I saw one along with my doc all throughout my last pregnancy, but it was all because of uncertainty of the outcome, this time around I haven't seen one. They are very well versed in all the potential complications and monitor you very closely.

July 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Quote:
Had you had eye trouble before being pregnant? I had no idea such a complication could happen. Would that be from high blood pressure?[/b]
It's not from high blood pressure. It's something that can happen to anyone but my Mom had it happen to her so there is a slight higher chance it will happen to me. It's just weak blood vessels in my eye. The extra fluid pushes out on my eye and the retina can actually tear or completely detach. Having high blood pressure increases the blood pressure in my eyes as well causing them to hemorrhage faster. I don't have high blood pressure now but with all of my pregnancies, around 18 weeks it shot up.

Quote:
Glad you got to see the hearbeat. That's always encouraging. Seeing a perinatolgist may be a very good idea in your situation. I saw one along with my doc all throughout my last pregnancy, but it was all because of uncertainty of the outcome, this time around I haven't seen one. They are very well versed in all the potential complications and monitor you very closely.[/b]
I had a perinatologist follow me with all my other pregnancies, in fact, he was the only dr. I saw. This time around, I chose a Dr. closer to where I live and you can only see the perinatologist by a Dr's referral. The OB I saw isn't being too cautious. He's waiting until I am having more problems before he actually refers me.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
July 26th, 2007, 02:41 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
I had to get a referral to a perinatologist too. My doctor though is very cautious, about everything. They told me at the perinatal center over and over that they felt i wouldn't have to come back, but my doctor kept me going back all 9 months...luckily I never had any of the complications that my doctor thought could happen with the abnormally shaped uterus i have. This time he chose to just see me exclusivly himself and it's been working out...except for some bad bp's and some spotting...he's just been monitoring closely himself this time around, doesn't feel i need a perinatolgist this time since he's actually seen my mishaped uterus from my previous c-section. It was diagnosed on ultrasound originally and he wasn't the one who found it...so he was being extra careful.

Maybe if your bp's do spike they can control it with meds...if you've been down that road before I'm sure you know all about it. It's never too late to find a new doc if you feel this one isn't giving you the attention or care you need...maybe he just wants to wait out the first trimester...i know mine doesn't do too much until after that.
July 26th, 2007, 03:54 PM
klfc28
Good luck! Here's to hoping for the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search