safe skin care while pregnant advice please

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Regular
I have been using AVEENO clear complexion for my acne. But now I find out that saliclyic acid is a no no while pregnant so now I'm very worried. I had no idea, and I have been using it throughout my first trimester. Has anyone used products with this ingredient while pregnant?
August 10th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
You know when your pregnant the best thing to use is water.

I never bother reading labels. I just don't use it.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
August 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm no help, I'm sorry. My skin dries out when I'm pregnant and salicylic acid just makes that much worse. I just use water as well. If I'm feeling really grimy sometimes I'll put a little bit of my bar soap on a rag and use that.

August 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
i was so worried about that too with my son...but you know...there's not much chance of a facial cleanser actually reaching the baby..so sometimes i think all the warnings are bit much...there really isn't any evidence that acne cleaners will have any effect on your baby...just don't use Accutane which is a drug. If you're really concered, ask your doctor...or switch to a product that contains benzoyl peroxide...if you're able to use it. I didn't worry so much about what i use on my face this time around. I am using a mail order product that contains salicylic acid...i just avoided any leave on overnight treatments that contain it...but i still used a leave on treatment that containes benzoyl peroxide. I can't use plain soap...it's too drying. I get bad acne in my first trimesters, so i needed to use something just for my own self esteem...i felt terrible about my skin...and needed to clear it up. Rest assured, my son was born perfectly healthy and i suspect my daughter will be too, lord willing. Really salicylic acid is bad if taken internally...the few moments it's on your skin isn't going to let it penetrate to your blood stream. The studies they do on mice they use WAY more of this stuff then any normal person would use...and i'm sorry, but mice and humans aren't the same. They aren't allowed to test on pregnant humans...so it's all based on animal studies...and it's usually that they have used enormous amounts...most likely injecting them with it.
August 12th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
actually this is not completely true

retinol can reach the baby and it is in alot of creams and washes.

You really should avoid anti aging washes and creams

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
August 12th, 2007, 07:21 PM
mommyholly07's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommyholly07
true you should avoid retinol...but it was explained to me that because you don't leave cleanser on the skin and it's washed off right away, that there is little chance of it penetrating into the skin. There have been no studies done on humans and animal testing was only done with oral salicylic acid at much higher doses then any human would take.

A statement on the MayoClinic "Salicylic acid —Salicylic acid may be absorbed through the mother's skin. Studies with topical salicylic acid have not been done in humans. However, studies in animals have shown that salicylic acid causes birth defects when given orally in doses about 6 times the highest dose recommended for topical use in humans."

With that said...most people agree that the amount in a facial cleanser is so small that there is probably little risk to the fetus. But this is only true of topical salicylic acid. Like I said...ask your doctor for his advice...if your OB isn't sure, then maybe ask your family doc or dermatologist if you have one.

The FDA classifies salicylic acid as category C...which means there isn't enough evidence either way for them to give it a A or B class rating (which A and B are considered safe, C basically comes down to using your best judgement)
August 13th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
Cetaphil doesn't have anything in it that can't be used during pregnancy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search