Log In Sign Up

Prothrombin Blood Clotting Disorder and pregancy


Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 10th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Hi...I am new to the group and need some advice. My husband and I would like to start trying for another baby. Our first child, Mikayla, was born @ 24 weeks gestation. I then formed a DVT in my right arm 2 weeks later. Upon further analysis I found out that I have the Prothrombin II 20210A: Heterozygous gene mutation. I had a lot of problems with my last pregnancy so I am afraid to get pregnant for many reasons, but I would like to talk to some women who have been through it. I am concerned about the shots, the cost of the shots and risks of a high risk pregnancy. I have tried to research topics, but have found VERY little. Have any of you had a preterm birth before using blood thinners or while on blood thinners? Any help is welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 11th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,606
I am no help here. But there are a few people on this board with blood clotting disorders.

Hope you find your answers.

Did your 24 weeker survive?
__________________


I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.



Click here to remember Donovan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
August 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 366
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
We just had a big thread about blood thinners, but I'm more than willing to tell you about my experience.

I myself never formed a clot, thank God, but I did have four losses, which made the doctors suspicious about why I couldn't make it through the 2nd trimester at the age of 20. I was diagnosed with an auto-immune blood clotting issue, where my body attacks the fetus.

Some people can manage their blood clotting with a baby aspirin alone. Some do a heparin aspirin combination, and some do a lovenox aspirin combo. My first pregnancy that did not result in loss, I did a heparin/aspirin combination, which was ok, but heparin becomes an increasing dose, and by the time I was in the third trimester, I was having to do four shots daily. The shots help reduce your risks, but you should definitely be seen by a perinatologist the whole time. You want to be sure to get an ultrasound a month, because you risk giving birth to a small baby from the blood clotting issues, even though the blood thinners should help take care of that problem. This pregnancy, I am taking 40 mg of lovenox in the morning, and that is it. I do take a baby aspirin, folic acid, calcium supplement, and a prenatal also.

Because you are at a risk for clots without pregnancy, you need to make sure you aren't using any type of hormonal birth control. It is scary, but well worth it in the end. Good luck with your decision!
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
August 12th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
I am no help here. But there are a few people on this board with blood clotting disorders.

Hope you find your answers.

Did your 24 weeker survive?[/b]
Yes...she will be 2 on Aug. 26th. She is still very small for her age, but developmentally right on track. She is only 30 inches tall and weighs 16 1/2 pounds. Thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
August 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
We just had a big thread about blood thinners, but I'm more than willing to tell you about my experience.

I myself never formed a clot, thank God, but I did have four losses, which made the doctors suspicious about why I couldn't make it through the 2nd trimester at the age of 20. I was diagnosed with an auto-immune blood clotting issue, where my body attacks the fetus.

Some people can manage their blood clotting with a baby aspirin alone. Some do a heparin aspirin combination, and some do a lovenox aspirin combo. My first pregnancy that did not result in loss, I did a heparin/aspirin combination, which was ok, but heparin becomes an increasing dose, and by the time I was in the third trimester, I was having to do four shots daily. The shots help reduce your risks, but you should definitely be seen by a perinatologist the whole time. You want to be sure to get an ultrasound a month, because you risk giving birth to a small baby from the blood clotting issues, even though the blood thinners should help take care of that problem. This pregnancy, I am taking 40 mg of lovenox in the morning, and that is it. I do take a baby aspirin, folic acid, calcium supplement, and a prenatal also.

Because you are at a risk for clots without pregnancy, you need to make sure you aren't using any type of hormonal birth control. It is scary, but well worth it in the end. Good luck with your decision![/b]
I read all the comments in the thread on blood thinners. I was just hoping to find someone with the smae disorder I have that could give me some advice. It's a really hard decision for us to make. My hematologist told me that I would probably NEVER form another clot in my lifetime unless in a high risk situation like pregnancy. I took birth control for 2 1/2 years with no problems, but was advised not to take it any more after the blood tests were done. My doc recommended lovenox, it's just expensive! She also recommended seeing a maternal fetal specialist for the duration of pregnancy.

I think I'm just afraid of having another micro-preemie. Well thanks for your help and congratulations!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
August 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,606
I would take your doctor up on her see a fetal expert. Why wait till someething bad happens.

Good luck.
__________________


I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.



Click here to remember Donovan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
August 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 366
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
Was your daughter born early because of a blood clot or a different reason?
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #8  
August 20th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Regular
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Quote:
Was your daughter born early because of a blood clot or a different reason?[/b]
Sorry it's taken so long to respond, I didn't have internet for a while. I didn't develop the blood clot till 2 weeks after her birth. The doc thinks my prothrombin disorder had something to do with it. I was diagnosed with chorioamnionitis (infection in my uterus), placenta previa and placenta abruptio. I think the previa was due to the abruption. It was a crazy time!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
August 20th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Tina K's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 366
Send a message via Yahoo to Tina K
If you have insurance, it should cover part or some of the shots, I know I only have to pay my co-pay for the shots. It is very likely you developed a clot in your placenta that caused the abruption. If you are carefully monitored, you can make it very close to term.
__________________
<div align="center"></div>
<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0