Log In Sign Up

For those asking about pyelectasis and hydronephrosis


Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
August 16th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Salem, MA
Posts: 4,091
I sent this to one of the fine ladies who IM'd me about this earlier and thought I would share with the whole group ...

My son DID have pyelectasis which then turned into Hydronephrosis. I know it is really scary when you find out there might be something wrong with your child but let me help you with what I know.

My son's kidney's are fine. In fact this coming Monday (8/20) is sure to be our last appointment with the pediatric urologist (except to check him about once a year). Even after he was born with his kidney still dilated, you would never had known there was anything wrong with him.

With that said.. here is how it played out for us and what the research I did told us.

Even with severe dilation, there is a LESS THAN 5% CHANCE your child will need surgery. Most babies grow out of this by the time they are two. Now you (and your child after birth) will probably go through many tests, but in my opinion you dont want to take any chances that you might be in that 5%, but chances are VERY high that your child will grow out of it. Even if your child's case is severe enough to require surgery (which is rare).. the success rate is so high (95%) that the surgery will take care of the problem. Here is a clipping of an article from American Baby Magazine:



They will keep a close eye on you throughout the rest of your pregnancy and you will have many ultrasounds.. and remember.. if your child (you didnt say boy or girl if you know, my guess is boy because this mostly occurs in boys) hasn't peed out the amniotic fluid the kidneys would be full anyway (or would seem to be dilated more). You will notice alot of fluctuation in the dilation in each ultrasound. I think at Alex's worst, his left kidney (the worse one) clocked a 16mm dilation and the right was about 9mm. By the time he was born, his right kidney was normal and we just had to keep an eye on the left (I think it was down to 10mm at birth). As your baby grows, the kidneys grow and therefore allow the blockage to open up more to release some of the fluid being blocked.

Here are a few links:
http://www.drgreene.com/21_109.html
http://www.urologychannel.com/pediat...talhydro.shtml
http://www.duj.com/hydronephrosis.html
http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/...geS1117P0.html

Please let me know if you have any questions at all. I've been through all of this and I am very happy to help. I know it is hard to take in, but you'll get through this fine. If there is one thing I remember the most.. it is being at Children's Hospital in Boston while I was pregnant at Christmas time 2005. They were testing me and looking at Alex's kidneys in-utero and we had about an hour between appointments. We were in the lobby having a snack..when Santa came in. And all of these children.. many very sick and wheeled over, went running (wheeling fast) to Santa, squealing with delight and with big smiles on their faces even though they were so sick.. and all I thought was that I am the luckiest mommy on earth that my son possibly has something that is very easily fixable no matter how severe it is and I sat in that lobby and cried. I felt very lucky and very blessed.

Warm regards,

Liz
__________________

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
Reply With Quote
  #2  
August 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,606
Thank you so much for posting that Liz. Seems like its come up alot recently.

Glad to hear Alex is doing great. I remember how worried you where during your pregnancy.

__________________


I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.



Click here to remember Donovan
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0