We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I posted this in my oddf too and the girls were mad too. I'm pretty riled up.
At 22 weeks, I was told that everything was perfect, that I could go off of bed rest and pelvic rest. One week later, I had another big bleed and landed in the hospital again. At my 24 wk follow up, my regular dr wasn't there but the other dr assured me that from now on, I would be closely observed and I would get some well needed attention.
Last monday after not being able to see the dr for 5 weeks at one day shy of 34 weeks, I got to see my regular dr. Everything looked good. Weight/bp/HR/Fundus. It was all pretty normal stuff. My dr told me to make some appointments at the front desk for two weeks from now and after that, one week incriments. I went to the front to do so when I was handed a slip of paper that read "Septmeber 18th" I told the receptionist that I was 34 wks and needed to see the dr sooner than a month. She informed me that there were no other times available to me and that she would consult the dr and get back to me. In the meantime, the 18th would be my assumed appointment. I asked her if I should call her to check on things and she looked rather annoyed and said basicially, "don't call us, we'll all you."
I left feeling uneasy. It is now thursday and I am still without a call. I am still working and really need to know when my next appointment is so I can plan ahead. I have a history of preterm labor in my family. I was born at 34 wks and my mother was born at 35. This means that I also may go into labor early. This doesn't bother me too much considering I am fairly far along and was given the steroid shots in the 23rd weeks. Also, although my sch and previa are said to be gone, I still believe these two conditions still put me at high risk even if they have been resolved. I'm still high risk right even though I am being treated like a normal pregnancy even a little neglected.
And what of this strep test I'm hearing about that is suppost to be taken at 36 weeks. I don't know what this is but aren't I suppost to get it done? I have not been informed at all about the labor process even though this is my first child. Perhaps this is my fault because I don't know what questions to ask. The dr always seems so rushed when he sees me. I don't even think he knows my name. This is a man who seems to look past me almost, like he's in a trance. I think this is what happens when a dr has too many patience. This has more to do with the fact that many obs are getting out of the buisness due to lawsuits and whatnot. There aren't many to go around but I digress. Just up and wired and killing time. Thanks, girls!
I posted in our ddc. Hope you get this figured out soon hun!
The strep test is a vag/rectal swab looking to see if you are a carrier of this gbs thing that can be harmful to the baby if you don't have antibiotics during labor. Its not a big deal. Just means that you would need the antibiotics before delivery. He should do the test around week 36. Make sure he does!
He really should discuss the labor process and his preferences with you. For instance - what are his feelings on episiotimies, forceps, and vacuums.
My doc has gone over all these with me already, and I am way behind you. My doc doesn't do the episiotomies unless you start tearing upwards ( huh? say that again? up???? I change my mind!! ) And he hates using vacuums unless he truely has no choice - like the baby is still too far up and there is no room for the forceps. But he will switch to the forceps as soon as he can. In addition, he has special forceps. They are not the open looped kind but are instead solid. He says those don't risk as much damage to the baby's face.
Those are the kind of things you want to know. Along with his thoughts on c-sections. My doc is a surgeon, so he would love to do a c-section first but its not something he pushes or dives into unless truely necessary. With me, he wants to avoid a c-section at all costs - even if it means delivering me at 36 weeks so she is smaller.
They are all booked and there are 4 doctors. I can't reach them till monday but I'm going to try not to let this upset me. I mean, there are worse things right. If They can't get me in, I'll talk to the perri at the hospital who did all my level 2s. maybe he'll take me once.
I'm so sorry you're having to go thru this. I don't have much advice, except maybe to walk into the office and DEMAND to speak to your doctor, voice your concerns and if they will not let you see him, I'd threaten a malpractice suit right then and there, in the middle of the waiting room, because you are not being seen appropriately.
Then, I'd walk out and go to the nearest hospital, explain the situation and ask them for advice on a different doc or if you can just come to the hospital to be seen. Maybe there is another doc in the area who might take you (altho most won't at this late stage) if you tell them the circumstances and situation and what has been happening?
Well to me this is still sickening the more I think of it. You are high risk for crying out loud.[/b]
I didnt think they had office hours today but I actually got in touch with the recptionist. It was a different woman this time. I told her the situation and that I was on a wait list and haven't been called yet. she checked this list and I acutally wasn't on it!!!!! She got upset and told me that this wasn't right and that she would put me on the list and try like crazy to get me an earlier appointment. An hour later, she called and gave me an appointment for the 4th and said that she would work very hard to get me one the week after as well and to stand by. She also told me that she would make sure that the person who I spoke with last monday would be talked to. I hope I didn't get her in trouble. That was not my intention at all. I had assumed I was on the list when I called and was only thinking about my baby. thank you for your worry. You're lovely ladies!!!!
Hi, I'm totaly lurking, but I hope you DID get that receptionist into trouble!! How she acted was so wrong, rude, and she didn't even put you on the list??
Good luck with the remaining weeks, and hope your doctor smartens up too.
i have never heard of being put on a wait list or stand by when your pregnant...especially when your high risk. that's insane. they are definetly way over-booked. they should push back some of the yearly exams (for those not pregnant) and make room for their OB patients. Sounds like they need better scheduling practices.
I agree...make sure you get the beta strep at least by 36 weeks. It's no biggy...if you have it, they just give you an iv antibiotic at time of delivery, the way it was explained to me. I didn't have it done this time around cause i am a repeat c-section..even if i happen to go into labor i won't be having her vaginally..she's transverse.