Having a Cerclage on Friday...

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2007, 01:36 AM
bookboarder's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, so on Friday I'm having a cerclage placed. It's not emergent, but I've got a few issues and we felt that it was best to go ahead with the cerclage now, and be safe, rather than wait for something bad to happen.

So, I'm, of course getting nervous. I'll be having either a spinal or epidural, and I'm nervous about that. I'm also really worried about whether it will go well, and hoping that it won't make me go into labor or something.

Please, please, please, no sad/horror stories about cerclage. We've already made our decision, and I just need some positivity to help me get a little of the insecurity out.

Thanks ladies!

Thank you to MommaTrish for my WONDERFUL siggy!!!

December 13th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Nichole! Welcome to the high risk board... HUGS! I know how freaked out you are, but things will go just fine. Just remember, they do this procedure all the time, and they give spinals and epis even more often. Of course there are risks, there are risks every time you walk out your front door. But, the risks are small, and the benefits great! It will be worth it all in the end when you finally have your little precious baby in your arms this May! Just remember what your Dr said about that- that it looks "Very good"! They wont say that unless they know... Big HUGS again, and know we are all here for you too!
December 13th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
While I have never had a cerclage (the ole cervix is a steal trap lol) I only know good life saving happy ending stories. You will spot for a few days afterwards and my have a bit of lower discomfort but the benifits are great.

Good luck.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
December 13th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks so much ladies. I'm a bit of a nervous wreck today, but I'm just trying to be positive. I think I'm making myself sick to my stomach, though. Yikes!

I appreciate your good words and I think everything is going to be fine--- it's just never fun to do this kinda stuff.

December 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
not fun no but well worth the hassel

oh the things we do for our kids lol

Sanity is a cozy lie.

December 15th, 2007, 12:39 PM
So I had my cerclage yesterday. I was at the hospital bright and early, only to get bumped, but that's OK. I got there and Aiden was moving around like crazy while I was just waiting around, which was really cool.

Finally, they were ready for me, and had me walk into the operating room. I was having a spinal, so they take effect immediately, and it's best to be on the table, I guess. They got me up on the table, and they did the spinal, which was really nothing. It was like a teeny tiny pinch, a couple of times (apparently they do like 6 local injections, but I could only feel the first two), and then a little pressure. Then, I layed down. Well, I could still feel and move my legs! This lady who apparently did not believe me decided to stick me with a syringe (needle and all), right in the crook of my arm, out of nowhere-- the most painful event of the whole deal! It even left a mark, and a spot of blood! She was poking me up and down my body, and I could still feel it, but my butt was really numb. That's what I told them! They waited a few minutes, tried a couple of things but it wasn't working entirely. My legs were tingly but definitely not numb. I could still lift them and everything. So, I got a second spinal. Again, nothing too bad. They did the second one in a different spot, and it took right away. I was nervous about it, because my mom had had a C-Section with a spinal that did not work, and she felt everything. But, then at that point, we were off. They had my knees hoisted up to my head, pretty much, and started the procedure.

It took about 10 minutes, and then they moved me over to a stretcher and wheeled me into the room. I was numb from right below my breasts to my toes. Very strange feeling. I hadn't slept the night before, but I was hoping to sleep while I was stuck there. No such luck. The weird feeling in my legs made it impossible for me to sleep. I did manage to have a BM on myself, though, which was just lovely... But now I feel I'm much more prepared to give birth! LOL! I got two of the big fears out of the way already! LOL.

They checked Aiden's heart rate, and he was doing well. I didn't have any contractions, except maybe one, when my bladder got pretty full, and I couldn't feel the muscles to let myself pee. (They came in and did a catheter on me, which was like heaven at that point, my bladder was pretty full!)

I was stuck at the hospital until I could urinate on my own. I ate lunch and drank liquids with no problem. I finally got to leave at around 4. (I was there at 5 am). Oh, by the way. I sent my husband home after I got out of the OR. He was so crabby, because he decided to stay up all night, since we had to get up so early. I just couldn't deal with him, and all he wanted to do was sleep, and he was getting annoyed that the nurse was checking on me. I'm more worried about the birth because of his idiotic-ness. I know he won't be any help at all if he doesn't have a good night's sleep. He was a total #####. He didn't come back until it was time to pick me up, because he slept through the alarm clock he'd set for himself.

So, I'm home, and I'm on bed rest until Wednesday. I have a massive headache from the anesthesia, which sucks, because Tylenol doesn't do much for it. I also have a pretty achy cervix. I've had a minimal amount of spotting, which is good. I'm just really ready to get rid of the headache. Aiden is wiggling around right now, and typing isn't good for this headache, so I'm off, but I wanted to update.

It is hard for me to get online when I'm on bedrest, because the couch we have doesn't have arm rests, so there isn't anything for me to lean on except some pillows, and it doesn't work well.

Thanks so much for all of your positive thoughts, prayers and well-wishes!

December 16th, 2007, 05:27 AM
If you need to shake that headach your best off laying flat on your back till it subsides.

Glad to hear everythig went well for you

Sanity is a cozy lie.

December 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am having a cerclage put in on Thursday and your info makes me a feel a little better. I am just worried about the pain.
December 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Once the spinal is there should be no pain

and the spinal feels like a bit of a bee sting.

zappp your done type deal.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

December 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
The anesthesia is nothing to worry about! Don't even sweat it. I'm kind of upset at how many people told me it was going to be horrible. Even my first nurse at the hospital said she wouldn't want to do it if she were me. Ugh. It was really, really nothing!

As for afterwards, the worst part for me was just being numb. I hated that feeling, but it was nothing to worry about.

I've had a dull ache where they placed the cerclage but it's been going away. It pretty much can be taken care of with Tylenol. The headache I got, sucks, but I had two spinals, so you shouldn't have too much problem.

Good luck with everything-- I'm sure all will go well! When are you due?

December 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Sally,

Can you tell me a bit more about your cerclage removal?

At what point (in weeks) did you have them removed? Is it painful? Did you dilate immediately afterward? So full of questions!

December 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM
angieelee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am due in mid June and I have not had any symptoms of a weak cervix. I had two cases of cervical cancer removed and it turns out the procedure was rather invasive, so he says he is doing it to be safe. I guess I will be less likely to have complications since is has not shortened or dialated- still freaked out though.
December 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM
That's the main reason mine was placed, I've had LEEP and Biopsies on my cervix, in addition to other problems. You should be totally fine. It's really not anything to worry about. Just try not to be too shy! LOL! It is a little intimidating having all of those people there while your knees are at your head! LOL. Not to mention the nurses checking to see if you're spotting and such afterwards. I still feel a bit of pressure where the cerclage was placed but I couldn't describe it as pain. I'm going to be sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search