High BP - Panic attack symptoms yet not Pre-E

Forum: High Risk Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To High Risk Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The past few weeks I've had several instances where my heart rate increased, my face became flush and I've had difficulty breathing. I brought this up to the dr. at my 31 week appointment. In fact, I had an episode while IN the doctor's office and at the height of it my BP was 150/100. After having me lay down on my left side it dropped down to 120/70. They ordered blood work - no protein in my urine and my blood work was fine.

They had me come back 1 week later - in the meantime I had a severe episode where I was seeing spots. I called in and they told me if it happened again to come in. I waited until the appointment, at which time I gained 4lbs from one week to the next, again no protein, but BP at 146/100. So I was admitted and they did a Non-stress test on the baby which was fine, my BP again dropped immediately after I layed down and my blood work was fine.

I'm still having these episodes, but they aren't as bad, I'm not having headaches and I've been trying to stay off my feet. They let me go home for the holidays, but I'm looking to see if there's anyone out there that has had similar problems. I'm under unusual stress at work and I'm worried this is part of my problem. Also - if anyone with pre-eclampsia had symptoms such as these or that progressed to pre-eclampsia from here.

December 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know much about what you are going through but it sounds like laying down is going to be your best friend right now. Also, if work is that stressful, you may want to consider taking a few days of or what ever you need to do to help relieve it. You need to keep baking that baby.

December 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
i have had lots of those.. they pretty much feel like your going to have a heart attack, your heart goes crazy, u get sweaty and hot, and very very shaky, or just a little shaky.. i usaly drink oj.. and i have also seen the white spots. its a very scarey thing, but they will not hurt u or baby.

</div>

</div>
December 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
I get those and I am not currently pregnant. Acute anxiety (panic) attacks. If you lay down and your symptoms go it is not Pre E. As well you need three symptoms to be diagnosed with Pre E. So I would not worry too much about it. But you should try to lower the stress from work.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
December 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
dlitephul's Avatar Veteran
I have anxiety disorder and have attacks when stress gets to me as well. Like Astrid said, laying down seems to be your best friend. If you are at work and one comes on, you may want to try controlled breathing to get you through it.

If you can, sit down, put both feet flat on the floor. Hands at either side. Close your eyes, and as you are inhaling through your nose, picture something in your mind that brings you great pleasure. It can be anything, your favorite memory, a cupcake, whatever makes YOU smile. Almost like you are climbing up to it. Hold for a count of three if you can. Then as you start to exhale through your mouth, hold onto that picture. Repeat until the anxiety has passed. The point of the exercise is to replace the bad feeling with a good feeling and to focus on something good instead of the pounding in your chest.

I learned this exercise in a support group that I attend for anxiety. I've had great success with it. I hope it works for you. Good luck!
December 25th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Regular
Hello,

While I am not having panic attacks, I am having similar experiences to you with the blood pressure. I am at risk for pre-eclampsia because I had high blood pressure before getting pregnant. I was admitted to L&D two times around 29 weeks for elevated pressures and as soon as they laid me down on my side, it went back to normal. I started non-stress tests at 32 weeks and at 33 weeks I started having consistent problems... my numbers have been in the 140s/90s and up to 150s/100s every once in a while. I am not spilling protein and haven't had any visual changes. But, they put me on bed-rest and it works like a charm. Especially laying on me left side... my bp drops like a stone!

If you can possibly reduce your work stress, I think that might help you. I hope things ease up for you. At any rate, I recommend laying on your side whenever you can take a break.

Good luck!!
December 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Momofapeanut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, they reduced my work stress - I'm on bedrest at home now. My bp was 140/104 this morning, laid down for 10 minutes and it plummeted to 114/73. The doctor put me on a blood pressure medication also. I can't remember the name I just dropped it off at the pharmacy - but he said it's a very low doseage. Anyone know the effects of this on pregnancy? Or the fact that my bp drops when I lay down. I'm a little nervous to take anything. I've barely taken tylenol this entire pregnancy.

I also have to start weekly stress tests. mystymom - is that what you do? Go in and have them monitor bp every 10 minutes and monitor the baby's heartrate? Or is that something different?

I feel a little more in control not having to deal with work, although what a week to try and get all this sorted out, no one is in the office.
December 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
Glad you will be off work. It is important for you and the baby.

Non stress tests are fun because you get to hear the baby for a while. Its kinda relaxing.

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search