We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
A few days ago I found out I am unexpectedly pregnant. I am thrilled but really nervous! When I had DS, I was told that I would be a high risk pregnancy in the future.
With DS, I had a totally normal pregnancy until 34 weeks. At my 34 week appointment, I was told I had started to measure small. They thought maybe I had low fluid and we scheduled a u/s for my 36 week appointment. Well at 35 weeks, I started to swell like crazy. I had some erratic blood pressure measurements during my pregnancy - they would be high one day and normal the next. I did not have any protein in my urine though so I was never diagnosed with pre-eclampsia. Anyway, at 35 weeks, I started swelling. My ankles and fingers were huge. I woke up one morning to go to the bathroom and felt the baby kick. I went back to bed for a couple hours and then my dog woke me up. She wanted to eat. DH had already gone to work so I got up and fed the dog. 2 hours later, I realized the baby hadn't moved. So I started eating and drinking sugar, etc. and laying on my left side to get the baby to move. I ended up calling the doctor who told me to get to the hospital because the baby just wouldn't move. I knew it was still alive because it got the hiccups at one point but that is a reflex so the doc said it didn't count as movement. Anyway, when I got to the hospital, they had me drink a ton of fluid in case I was dehydrated, had my try OJ in case sugar would get the baby moving, put me on oxygen, etc. Then the baby's heartbeat started dropping with small contractions that I was having. After a biophysical profile of the baby (which did not go well - they had to taser my belly to get him to move), they decided that 13 hours of no baby movement meant the baby needed to come out. So as soon as my DH got there, we had an emergency c section. Thank God, AJ was born healthy but small (even for 35 weeks - he was just 4 pounds and 12 ounces). He is doing great. Anyway, examination of my placenta revealed that I was throwing clots and that the baby tolerated it for as long as he could. The doctors think I have a blood disorder that likely also caused my previous m/c's. I know it isn't standard because I was already tested for things like Factor V, etc. My insurance wouldn't cover any testing when I wasn't pregnant. Now that I am pregnant again, my insurance will pay for the blood panel testing and I'm having that done next week. I'm assuming they will figure out what this is and let me know what it is and start me on the proper course of meds (if necessary) to keep this pregnancy safe. I've already been told that if I make it to 36 or 37 weeks, I'll have to have a scheduled c-section again at that point.
So, here I am. Hopefully this pregnancy and baby will be healthy but I'm officially high risk and waiting to find out the reason!
Welcome to the high risk group... Sorry to hear about your tough times with your last pregnancy, but am glad your little one is doing so well now! I hope things are better this time, but at least you are being proactive and are mentally preparing.
Wow! That would really freak me out if my babies didn't move for that long. Thankfully you had a wonderful dr that decided it was time to deliver the baby & kept you all safe. Congrats on the new pgcy!
Maybe they will want you to take prophelactic low molecular weight heperin (Lovenox or something similar) if you were having blood clots.
I'm glad that they are doing testing now.
I have +ANA, +ACA and MTHFR 1298A hetero gene (single copy)
I take baby aspirin, folgard and expectra (omega 3 fatty acids) as well as prenatals when I can stand them. I'm still considering lovenox (Dr recommends) injections, but I am not comfortable at this point.
__________________ ~ Susan
A family of Three
is a Blessing to Me</span>
DD Our miracle child ~ 11/13/03
Done TTC...three babies in heaven is enough for us.
<span style="color:#008000">m/c twins 10 weeks ~ 01/08/08
m/c blighted ovum ~ 06//18/06 My problems carrying a baby to term: +ANA, +ACA, MTHFR hetero gene