Buying Baby Stuff Early

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am just curious if I am the only one who buys things for their LO way ahead of time. I was looking through Katie's stuff the other day and saw that I already have an Easter bunny holding a cross for her and she has the Baby's First Valentine's Day bib in her bib drawer (yes, I have a drawer for them separate from other stuff because we have so many). I have dresses for her to wear next Christmas including one that I know will just be perfect for her Christmas 2010 dress to wear the night of the church Christmas play. I have close to a dozen summer dresses that should fit her this summer. Am I totally off my rocker to have gotten this stuff? I mean it is all size 12 months and size 18 months since she is already wearing 3-6 and 6-9 month stuff at just over 2 months old. In my defense I have to say that most of the stuff was on clearance for less than $3 and the most expensive thing I have bought was on clearance for $9 and it was the Christmas dress.
I am just wondering if the mommies who are expecting as well as the mommies who have LOs here already are 'guilty' of doing the same thing as me.

January 22nd, 2010, 04:59 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I have picked up a few summer outfits that were on clearance, and I have some 6 months and older clothes.
Other than that I haven't bought to much for the future, having to much fun buying stuff for now!

January 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do buy some stuff ahead of time. Lucky for us, we do get some boxes of handydowns from people at church. I think people just know it will get used in a family our size. But you just never know how they will grow. Nathan (our youngest is almost 10 months) and is still in 6-9, and maybe some 9-12's. So he is rather small for his age. Travis (who is 20 months) was in size 18 months at 8 months. Same parents, just different kids. So I try not to buy to much a head of time for that reason. But I would say you have adjusted sizes pretty well for Miss Katie. I hate to see people buy 6-9 month, intending it to be for when they are 6-9 months. Most kids grow lots faster than the sizes the clothes state. But I think 18 m for next Christmas is a good idea. Once they geta little older, they slow down so much and are so much more predictable.

Hope that helps!

January 22nd, 2010, 06:48 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only buy a few things in each size, not season or occasion specific--my 8 month olds are in 18 month clothes-I have no way to predict what size snowsuit to buy for next year. Probably a 2, but only if they lean down lots once they start walking.

Marie's five kids are now 7,5,4,4 &2!
January 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really... but like Mari we often get hand me downs from a couple of friends who have older boys...so every time I thought I needed something, I'd go check a box and find that I had clothes already... I do get tempted by cute pj's for the next year if they're on sale though!!

And... it is hard not to want to buy a couple of baby outfits for the new baby!! The thing that stops me is that last time it was so hard to find anything neutral/ie. unisex when we don't know the gender!...so I haven't looked much yet.

And, I have seen some really cute dresses 50% off and so tempting to buy things in advance for my niece's first birthday!!!!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 26th, 2010, 03:34 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to BeckyM
I do that with my nieces & nephews for now. They're older then infants (youngest was 2 in Nov) so it's easier to guess their sizes. With this LO, I did buy a few Christmasy things for next Christmas (1 sleeper & some bibs), but went with 6/9 month size as I have no clue to how big/small Mark will be. And they were on clearance so I paid very little $1-2 a piece. I'm sure once he gets here and I get a feel for how he's growing, I'll start buying ahead for him too.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
January 26th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been trying really hard to be a good girl Even tho Jayeln's only a month old and is still in NB clothes, I'm still not sure how fast she's going to grow. Besides, I haven't really seen anything that I've just gotta get for her right now....whether it fits now or later.

And, Beth....we too have a drawer specific for things like bibs

January 27th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jess my first ds was out of some of his newborn clothes within six weeks! so yes you just never know how quickly they'll grow..especially considering I didn't buy anything in the 'really' newborn size (sorry I know my sizing won't mean anything to you)... he was 7lbs2oz born and the winter onsies he wore were swimming on him...6 weeks later... too chubber!!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search