Baby Registry

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2010, 03:31 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay mamas, DH & I need some tips on what we REALLY need to register for, what we'll actually use, what not to bother with, etc. Also, what types of things are appropriate to register for. We keep getting pressured from family/friends to do this, but also don't want to seem greedy and ask for ridiculous things or overpriced things.

So, any suggestions, tips, etc. What did you find that worked, is working best for your LOs? What was a waste of space, money, etc.? I do want to breastfeed, so is it appropriate to register for those supplies? Or is that too personal and we just buy ourselves?

We originally had planned on heading out to some baby stores this weekend and start a registry, but now we're expecting a storm with "significant" snowfall Friday to Saturday, we'll probably just stay home. We know we can start a registry online as well, but with being first timers here, how will we know what we really need to register for. So frustrating and so overwhelming at the same time.

Help please.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
February 3rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know it will be almost impossible, but try to steer people away from clothing unless it is of a larger size. Katie could not wear newborn stuff and she is already wearing 6-9 months in some things and size 2 diapers at less than 3 months of age. I am sure that the other ladies will have some great ideas of what to register for. I did not register and the baby shower for Katie is going to be within a week or two of our arrival in NC. It should be fun to see what sorts of stuff she gets seeing that she will be 3 months old already.

February 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't really do baby registries here in Australia. I know it must help with avoiding duplicates of things and making sure you get what you really want!

I think i was quite lucky at my baby shower as we got lots of good quality wraps, baby towels, baby bath wash and a couple of packs of nappies, baby manicure set... was so long ago I don't remember what else (didn't have one 2nd time round), but it was just a lot of practical things that meant I didn't need to buy any towels, wraps myself etc.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put a variety of things, from pricey to cheap-people like registries generally.
Things I'd put on:
crib with bedding
stroller and infant carseat
convertible carseat
no clothes
an AngelCare monitor
diapers in size 3 and up
bottles, paci's, and sippy cups-I stuck with Avent-they're easy to clean
Bumbo, highchair, pack n play, jumperoo, baby swing
I loved Pampers Swaddlers size nb, 1 and 2 for all three of my kids-they just hold everything in so nicely-but they outgrow them fast, so only buy one pack at a time in each size
February 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Super Mommy
My sister registered for her bfing supplies, I dont think that is a problem. You should register for whatever you need:
Car seat/ stroller
bedding
diapers
bottles
bouncy seat/ swing or whatever
oh and we love our baby bjorn but I got mine on Craigslist
We dont use a wipe warmer or diaper geanie, for us they did not make sense.
Good luck
February 4th, 2010, 12:16 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I was the opposite of Beth, we needed more newborn size clothes, but it was easier I think just getting what I needed for that vs registering for clothes.

I love my diaper genies (new ones that are hands free)
swaddeling blankets- it's amazing how many you can go through
we have had issues with leaky diapers (he points up), but Luv's leakguards have been good just hard to find in newborn
and definetly ask for a boppy! It's a lifesaver while breastfeeding!

February 4th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Marie did you use your bumbo much? I got one for my second ds, but found that was something I really didn't need. I've kept it for this time round... a few people raved to me about them and made it sound like something I had to have... but for me, really only used it a few times and ds didn't like it much.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
February 4th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks, ladies!! This is a HUGE help and I'm written all this stuff down. Some we had thought about, but just weren't sure if it was appropriate to register for. Having a list to start from will make this easier for us.

February 4th, 2010, 09:35 AM
trainermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just to add...

I have a hooter hider nursing cover (for when I'm out in public) and I absolutely love it.
We got these swaddler blankets (with velcro, I think they are called swaddlers) and they were life savers. There is something similar called a woombie that looks interesting too.
It is kind of expensive, but you might want to consider a breast pump. I registered for one (that was the only "personal" item that I registered for). Some people just rent from the hospital before deciding to buy. But if you plan on nursing and going back to work, it is a must. Also, once your milk comes in you'll want to pump to build a stock-pile. Just my 2 cents.
I have a baby carrier that I tie on myself (a babyhawk) but I never used one with my other two. Actually DH liked using them more than I, so that might be something you might want to consider. My DH always said that I got the privelege of carrying the babies for 9 months and that he would like to experience it in his own way too.

February 5th, 2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks, Heather!!

I so appreciate everyone's suggestions and have written them all down. DH & I plan to start looking online at the registry information and will probably start it this weekend as we doubt we'll get out to the stores with this snow storm coming in.

February 5th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we used our Bumbo LOTS with Nolan, we did that instead of the highchair when he first started solids. But with the twins, not as much, by the time they liked sitting in them, they were able to arch out. I'd get a used one, then sell it.
February 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Just in case your baby doesn't love being swaddled past the first week (like mine ) I absolutely love/can't live without the Halo Sleepsacks...they're just a wearable blanket for them at night and if you have a baby who likes to kick it gives them the ability to do that while still staying warm. You can pair them with either a l/s onsies or the side snap l/s t-shirts (which we loved when she was NB ).

I totally agree with Beth about the clothes...we got SO MANY in 0-3 months and then Savannah hit major growth spurt early and was only in that size maybe 3 weeks so she didn't even get to wear half of them.

I also totally adore the cloth diaper type of burp pad...much softer, larger and more absorbent than other types. I've also found the thin receiving blankets to be 100x more useful than the really thick/plush baby blankets...

Some great gifts I got but didn't think to actually put on my registry: baby book, a cool silver birth certificate holder, customized baby keepsake box and Mommy & Me photo frames.

An idea I WISH I had but didn't until I went to get her NB photos done: some photography studios have a gift certificate program....you will spend small fortune on photos, and that's a great gift that allows everyone to choose how much to spend...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
February 5th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not sure if you want to list it on the registry or not, but Katie uses her pack n play quite a bit and her a newborn to toddler rocker (fisher price) has been a lifesaver because since it vibrates, she thinks she is on a car ride and it calms her.

February 7th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Bek, if would definately put anything and everything you are thinking about on your registries....even the personal ones. Most of the stores will give you a discount after your shower date for you to get the rest of the items that you need. So, if you put your breastpump (and personal bfing items) on your list and you don't get it then at least you'll save some money when you have to go buy it yourself. We bought the big things.....crib, dresser, changing table, etc.....because we were pretty sure that none of our friends or family would be able to afford it. Definately don't put clothes on your registry. Besides what's already been posted here's my .....

Laundry basket of some sort
Several changing table sheets/covers
Nightlight (and/or main light on a dimmer switch)
Baskets or storage devices for diaper changing items and diapers
Bottles (even if you're bfing)....I like the Playtex Vent-Aire and I also like the Avent ones (they have less parts then the Playtex ones, altho the last Avent's I picked up have an extra gasket that the first ones don't have )
BFing supplies....nursing pads, storage bags/bottles
Bathing tub

Must Haves that we've figured out:
Munchkin dishwasher baskets
Mommy Bear....it plays heartbeat and whitenoise (along with some other things). The best $15 we've spent

Don't waste your time or money on:
Pacifiers....you don't know if Mark will like them or if he'll like the style.
Stuffed animals
Bath sets (washcloths & towels)....you'll probably get a bunch at your showers.

I'm sure there's more, but can't think of other stuff at the moment. You're going to get lots of things at your showers that aren't on your lists.

Last edited by Jessica C; February 7th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search