H$!! Day (x-posted)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2010, 07:10 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Sorry for the novel!
So as you know CJ has been battling this stupid virus for over a week. Monday night, he was horrible, when he wasn't crying or sleeping he was moaning. So first thing yesterday morning we took him back to the doctor.
His fever, although not super high - max was around 101.2, it wasn't really responding to Tylenol, it was only coming down to 100. His temperature is normally @ 97.7 so although not in a danger zone, high for him.
At the doctor they did a chest x-ray and blood work. The x-ray was clear, but the blood work came back with an elevated white blood cell count- which indicates infection. While our doctor agree is it most likely his ears, she sent us to the ER to have them look at him to determine if they should do a spinal tap. I almost completely lost it at this point. Even just considering this was beyond scary.
At the ER they sucked snot out of his nose to test- harder than it should have been because right before we got there I had cleaned out his nose. Then spent like 45 minutes cleaning his poor little ears out. They also did a urine test (the docotrs office had stuck a collection bag on him, DH was more worried about this because he thought it would be horrible to get off, it wasn't)
The docotr explained to us that in babies under 30 days old if they have a stubborn fever it's an automatic spinal tap, but in older babies they can try the other tests first. Guessing they have missed to many infants with meningitis, that they don't take any chance.
Anyway, they finally decided NOT to do the spinal, and treat it as a double ear infection. Little guy is on antibiotics for 5 days. He goes back to the doctor tomorrow for a re-check.
His fever did go back up to 100.8 last night, but was back down to 99.9 this morning. I did get a smile and giggle out of him today, so that made it easier for me to come to work. Considering after yesterday I now have a whopping hour and half of sick time left.
And I HATE urgent care- we were there Sunday- you would think they would have been able to figure some of this out. Granted my doctor had last Tuesdays appointment to compare to (ears were clear and almost no fever). But if a baby's ears are that clogged- you would think they would be able to see it! I got some nasties out, but I can't see in the canal like they can!

Hoping things are better tonight after the second dose of antibiotics has time to work.

March 31st, 2010, 09:48 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
oh Sam, i'm so sorry...you and I have lived like parallel weekends with sick babies (we rushed Savannah to ER early Sat AM). I'm glad CJ didn't need a spinal tap...I freaked just when they wanted to give Savannah chest x-rays at the ER - radiation & little babies just freaks me out - and I'd have flipped if they had wanted to do something as invasive as a spinal tap.

Hope his ear infection clears up quickly and he doesn't have any other issues...there is seriously nothing worse than watching your LO dealing with illness!

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 31st, 2010, 11:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you both are dealing with sick little ones. It is so hard to know what is wrong when they are so sick. Hope they both feel better soon.

March 31st, 2010, 12:12 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to you both!!! I'm sorry you're having sick little ones & I hope they get better fast.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
March 31st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
((hugs)) to mamas and babies

Lucky mother to five!

March 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
kimberley228's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to kimberley228
I hope those antibiotics do thier thing and CJ feels better soon!

March 31st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
to the moms and sick babies. Would have been so hard when they started talking invasive tests.

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
March 31st, 2010, 07:13 PM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hope he feels better soon.

April 2nd, 2010, 08:07 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Thanks Ladies!
Well the Dr. called yesterday afternoon and told us they found E. Coli in his urine culture, which means a UTI! Poor baby, this explains the random screaming for no reason- it hurts to pee!
We are starting him on a new antibiotic today because the other one doesn't do anything for the UTI.
A double ear infection and a UTI, that's a lot for an adult let alone a baby!

April 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
trainermom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
POOR LITTLE GUY! Oh my goodness! Hope he is feeling back to his old self soon. I know how it feels to be told that your LO might have to have a spinal tap. That happened with my middle son @18 months. Luckily, they figured out what was going on before getting to that step. to you all!

April 8th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hope he's better soon! Hugs to both of you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search