Exhausted with my newborn.....how will I ever do it again with #2?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2010, 07:32 AM
sweets's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi everyone,

I am Kylie (36) and mom to newborn Chloe. She was a preemie and we have been home for almost four weeks. I am getting to the point of being exhausted. Sometimes when she wakes up in the night to eat I am like "you've got to be kidding me". I am so thrilled to have her, but I am kind of looking forward to when I can get a bit more sleep when she is older I hope that doesn't sound too terrible.

So my husband and I definitely want a second child, but when I am walking around like a zombie sometimes I wonder how in the world I will be able to do this all again in a year or so.

I guess I'm wondering if this questioning will pass. Just like the memories of morning sickness and labour have passed (the memories of the pain etc), will this feeling of tiredness pass, too? I know I want another child, but honestly at this time I kind of just want to sleep!! lol.

----------------------------------------
Kylie (37), DH (35) Married since September 5, 2009
DD Chloe born at 28 weeks on April 10, 2010.
July 15th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember being so exhausted during those few weeks when I was trying to do almost everything on my own (DH was working so he needed his 10 hours of sleep per day) that I actually tried to bargain with Katie. It was like "Katie Sunshine, if you let Mommy sleep a full 20 minutes at one stretch, Mommy will let you have anything you want."
It does get better and you don't recall the sleeplessness quite so clearly and you will be all ready for baby #2. The reason DH and I aren't having any siblings for Katie is that we had such a delivery scare that we don't want to risk it again.

Last edited by MomtoKatieB; July 15th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
July 15th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Thank you, that is very reassuring and I'm glad it isn't just me who is exhausted with a newborn. My mom was here with us for the first three weeks at home and now I'm on my own with her (DH is here but is at work in the day and sleeps all night)....glad to know I'll get beyond this

July 15th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the first time round it's really hard because it feels neverending. With my first ds I remember getting to night time...when normally it's time to relax, and just feeling like I wanted to cry because I knew that I'd still be up every 2 hours at night and there never was a 'down time'. What really helped me with my second baby was that I KNEW there was a light at the end of the tunnel! The hard stuff doesn't last forever but when you're caught up in the moment it's a really tough time to get through.

My first ds didn't sleep through the night til he was 13 months old, but I still got pregnant when he was 11 months old !! It was like the exhaustion was there but we also really knew we wanted another child.

And I know it wouldn't be the same for everyone but I was in a much better mindset the 2nd time round. I dealt with the nights better and I think just being 2nd time round I knew a bit more about getting a baby to sleep in his bed etc so it wasn't quite as hard as the first time.

Anyway guess I'm starting to ramble now, but be reassured, nearly every Mom feels like you do, especially with their first! (And my 3rd is sick at the moment and I definitely have those moments in the middle of the night when I think gee I'm so glad she's our last! Believe me I wouldn't change a thing but I know it's hard and i think night time amplifies the feelings because everyone else is sleeping...

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
July 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've found that 12 weeks adjusted age is the magic number when they feed more routinely, are awake a bit more by day, and sleep longer at night. Don't forget to adjust her age for that, though. It'll get better, and when she's 9 months old and mobile, you'll get baby fever again

Lucky mother to five!

July 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
daisygarten's Avatar Jenn ~ Mom of 3+2
Don't forget to sleep when baby sleeps! The days I get a nap in make nights much nicer... This week we had all 5 kids home.... omg, I'm tired...

July 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, thanks, I know I need to get better at napping more. I usually do have one or two a day, but sometimes I just like staying up....I know I should just lay down instead of being on the computer (like now), lol.

July 19th, 2010, 06:55 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
The first few weeks are super hard, but as soon as they start sleeping (at least for me) the memory of sleep deprivation was gone.

I was horrible at sleeping when baby sleeps. Probably because my mother was here and I felt like I needed to entertain her.

July 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was very lucky to have MIL with us for those first few weeks. Yes, I still had to get up during the night but she was taking care of the house, laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc., so all I really had to do was take care of myself and Mark. Even with that though, I was still exhausted and had several tearful nights when Mark was up non-stop. It does get better and he's now been sleeping 5/6 hours at a stretch at night time for a while now and that makes alot of difference. hang in there sweetie!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search