What advice were you given...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
on starting solids?

I'm sure Mari has probably seen advice change over the years?

My paediatrician (Aust. spelling ) gave me recommendations different to what I'd always believed was the standard recommendation. So I guess I'm just wondering, what professional advice you've been given re. when to start solids?

Layla hasn't started yet but her paed said new recommendations are to start at 3 to 4 months (I wait til 6 months).

Thanks ladies!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
September 13th, 2010, 07:10 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At Mark's 2 month appointment, the doctor said it's typically 4 months, 6 months, or whenever we think he's ready for them. She said he was ready when he started showing an interest in food, watching us when we're eating, moving his tongue in & out, swallowing the constant drool we were getting --although he is back to super drooling again now -- so we tried some rice cereal just after he turned 4 months. It looked like he thought it was disgusting, too funny. We tried again last night after he kept grabbing at the food we were eating (he likes to sit with us at dinner time and I had him on my lap trying to eat) and this time he seemed to like it alot. Big smiles and everything. At his 4 month appointment on Friday, I asked the doc again and she said that he will still get the majority of his calories and nutrition from the milk but that after he's fine with the cereal and/or oatmeal then to start adding yellow/orange veggies in the mix but space them out several days (or a week) in between starting a new one to make sure there are no reactions. She didn't specify what to start after the yellows/oranges and I forgot to ask.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
September 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I went by the new recommendations of the American Pediatric Association. We waited till 6 months, and then I wanted to do BLW, but every time CJ would try to eat something he would gag. So we decided to introduce purees. He now gets a combo of regular baby food and then what ever we are eating if it is appropriate. He would much rather feed himself than be spoon fed.
We never did cereal by itself. He has since we started had fruit and cereal combos.

September 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when their tongue thrust is gone and they can sit up and protect their airway, so still 5-6 months
September 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. He said it's because allergies are on the increase so the advice on delaying solids til 6 months is thought to not have the affect on lessening allergies as previously thought.

I'd have to see some research on it , particularly starting at 3months old with, as Marie said, the tongue thrust and not being able to sit up properly.

Also even when the recommendation was waiting 6 months, I'd say most parents I knew started at around 4 months (which I have no issue with at all as we all do what is best for our own child, but it makes me question if the research is comparing apples and oranges rather than apples with apples when they're making statements about allergies being on the increase due to solids being delayed til six months?) It's all very interesting anyway, but I've decided to still wait - she'll be 6 months old in less than a month anyway!

ETA: Sam my SIL did BLW successfully. I'm too chicken to try it though as I'd constantly be hovering and panicking at the first sign of any gagging! So I'll still puree but will try with changing the consistency to mashed sooner than I did with the boys.

Becky I can't remember what goes after the orange foods either. I'd have to look up my little baby food book! I do remember that it's good to introduce a range of veges before trying anything sweet. Babies have a naturally sweet palate and will prefer sweet things so if you introduce sweet things ie. pureed apple etc quickly, they can start to turn up their nose at the veges!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Last edited by mum74; September 14th, 2010 at 08:32 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search