Ah, I love Retail.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ladies, I heard something today that I just had to share with you all. A woman comes in with a little boy who might have been maybe 8 months old or so and asks "Where do I go to return stuff?" Um. . . I am the only one working in the front end of the store and I am standing behind the counter so I tell her that I will process the return. She was muttering something about always doing her shopping at one place so she could get back to her safe little hidey hole, which I sort of thought was odd, but so long as she didn't answer herself, I figured I could cope with her for a few minutes.

She returned a micro cassette recorder, two videos from the $5 bin and a couple of Valentine's home decor things . The total including tax was almost $80. She tells me as she is removing the things from the shopping bag and searching for her receipt, "I came in here last night and bought stuff after I had been to the ER for a migraine. I woke up this morning and found that I had made all these irrational purchases and I don't remember buying anything on the receipt."

If she had not had a receipt, there is no way I would have refunded the purchases because she just seemed to be acting odd and without a receipt, I would not have been sure the items had not exited the building last night without being purchased. I have had some pretty nasty headaches, but I have never taken a $200 shopping trip to the pharmacy and not recalled buying anything the next morning. The whole thing just seemed weird to me.

Wish I could say that she took the money and left, but of course, my day couldn't be that simple. She went through the store and gathered up another $200 of merchandise and when she tried to pay for it with a check, she had her check declined by the system. I had to void the entire transaction and start over. She opted not to get a few things (video camera, six packs of bibs, assorted junk food and half a dozen baubles to go in her hair) but wanted the baby food, the carton of cigarettes (which was $60 by itself) and the three pack of bottles (although she said that she couldn't let her son use the pink one stating, "he can't drink out of a pink bottle because he's a boy." The second check for a slightly lower amount was also declined. She stated at that point that her estranged husband must have messed with her checking account (the one that only had her name on it). She finally decided to pay with cash, bought cheaper cigarettes (if you can call $4 per pack 'cheap'), the bottles (although she once again stated that her son could not drink out of a pink bottle) and the baby food. She paid and left.

I am worried about her son though. She was so obsessed by making sure she got cigarettes and was so worried that a pink bottle was in the pack of three (we had other packs of identical bottles that did not include a pink one but she had tunnel vision and thought that one pack was the only one in the universe I suppose) that I am not all that sure that she would not forget her son somewhere along the way or let him drink from a bottle that had spoiled milk in it (just so long as it wasn't a pink bottle) because she didn't remember that she (1) has a son (2) needs to make sure he gets milk that hasn't been out too long.

So, that was my retail story of the day. Just thought you all might enjoy seeing what my work life is like. . . it isn't just making photos and selling laxatives.

January 24th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Beth, I love that you work, lol! What a nut! That poor little guy, sounds like his biggest problem ain't gonna be drinkin from a pink bottle
January 25th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That is just a crazy story! Bet you were tempted to ask her if she had another migraine coming on when she started gathering more stuff up throughout the store! Poor little baby though .

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 25th, 2011, 06:25 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow! If it wasn't for the poor baby, it would be comical.

Retail does seem to bring out the crazies. I remember a full out brawl starting over Barney (remember that purple dinosaur *shudder* about 10ish years ago) when I was working at JCPenney one year. This a group of 5ish women who started punching, hair pulling, etc over that stupid thing.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
January 25th, 2011, 07:44 AM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Beth - What a great story. I do feel bad for the baby

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

January 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
oh my! What a nut! But, then again, I wouldn't let my son drink from a pink bottle when he was a baby either AND I smoke too! But I am positive that I have never spent that much money on irrational purchases so I guess maybe I am sane after all

Seriously though, I have great respect for those that work so closely with the public. I don't have the patience for most people

January 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Makes me really NOT miss retail! But I love the stories!

Guess I'm a weird boy mom, I let him drink form the pink bottle. But I don't take it anywhere it stays in the house.

February 12th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *SamF* View Post
Makes me really NOT miss retail! But I love the stories!

Guess I'm a weird boy mom, I let him drink form the pink bottle. But I don't take it anywhere it stays in the house.
Before our first ds was born my Mum gave me a set of wraps - one was pink. Ds vomited and wet a lot of wraps as a newborn so that pink one used to come out in the middle of the night! But like you Sam, it stayed at home and I never would have taken it with us out of the house .

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search