Laser Eye Surgery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Who's had it done??

Becky, you mentioned the ad you were in for Lasik eye surgery years ago (what a shame you don't have a copy of it!! ).... so were you in it because you actually had your eyes fixed and they wanted actual real life stories?

If so, I have some questions for you and anyone else who's had it done!

Pros?
Cons?
What were you told about, and what was your experience with night blindness?
Anything else I should know?

Re. the night blindness, my optometrist has scared me off laser eye surgery because he said there's a 10% chance of suffering scarring which could cause permanent night blindness. I don't want to not be able to drive at night...

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!

Last edited by mum74; February 12th, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
February 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd also be interested to know, I've been thinking about it for a few years, I was thinking of summer 2012
February 14th, 2011, 05:36 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had it done, back in Sept 2000. It worked wonderful for me, before that I had been wearing glasses since I was a little girl. I did go to wearing contacts occasionally as an adult, but with my allergies, they just weren't that comfortable to wear every day or for many hours in a day.

Pros - no glasses or contacts!!! That was a big deal for me. It's now over 10 years, and at December's eye appointment I was still 20/20 in the right, around 20/25 in the left eye. I think I looked fine before with glasses & again with not wearing them, but it was so nice not to have them to take care of. Switching between prescrip sunglasses & regular glasses and carrying bulky cases around for them. And with contacts, the itchiness & dryness was annoying and then the cleaning & disinfecting them, along with the re-wetting drops got tiresome too.

Cons - I found my eyes to be VERY sensitive to the sun glare, so I bought some cute sun glasses and keep them with me always.

Night Blindness - I don't recall the docs saying much about it, but that's probably because I had terrible night vision before the surgery and the doctors told me it wouldn't improve my vision at night so I didn't expect to much. It didn't make it worse though. My night problems are due to how my pupil expands with the light at night time. They open to far and I get blinded easily and have blurred vision. This is unrelated to the lasik eye surgery.

Anything else you should know - I'm sure they've changed things alot in the years since I had it done. For the actual procedure though, it is completely painless. I know if feels freaky that they are going to be working on your eyes, but it is painless. I felt better having something to hold in my hand, like a squeeze toy or stress ball, just to settle my nerves but like I said it was completely painless and fast. I felt like I was crying from all the eye drops they put in. It was so amazing though that right after the surgery, even with the blurriness from all the drops, I could immediately see the clock across the room and tell them what time it was. It was like looking thru cloudy wax paper, but I could still see it. I almost started crying for real then. Afterwards, there were 2 eye drops I had to use for multiple days (I don't recall how many days at this point), one was an antibiotic the other was something else (again can't remember, maybe an noninflammatory one) - either way they were easy to put in and the only funny thing from them is that they drip down in your nasal cavity so I ended up with a yucky taste at the bottom of my throat when I took them. I teased the doctor that they needed to make them cherry flavored for the future.

Hope that answers questions, if I've missed something please let me know. Good luck!!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
February 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Becky! I had it done in Feb 2004.....and I love it!!!! I would do it again in a heartbeat. I wore glasses since 5th grade and love the freedom of not having to have them on. No sliding glasses when you sweat, they don't freeze adn fog in the winter. I can see an alarm clock in the morning. Love it. Andy had his done in 2000, and we are saving money for all 9 of our kiddos to have it done, it was that worth it to us.

As far as sensitivity....yep, I wear sunglasses almost everyday. The glare from snow is tough, but so is sunshine. I also have a little trouble at night driving. Not enough to make it impossible, just a little tougher to see.

Would I do it again knowing the side effects? Yep, in a heartbeat.

As far as pain, very minimal, and we've all delivered children....you won't even notice

February 14th, 2011, 04:44 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
cool, I like good stories! I'm so tempted! I'd have to pay out of pocket, but I could use it for my taxes, I think I might be able to get some of it covered by our two insurance plans, though. Our eye guy here charges about $1k for both eyes
February 15th, 2011, 07:07 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
I used to be a LASIK vsion coordinator for a doc in Boston. Even teched some in the surgeries.
I have never had it done on me personally but can say we had probably a +95% satisfaction rate.

Biggest thing to keep in mind is that depending on your vision it may not eliminate the need for glasses, but can reduce your dependency or strength of prescription. It also does not correct for loss of reading distance in the future, that is a natural part of aging.
Also if you do decide to do it, find a reputable doctor, who has a stationary office. Some of the big companies that go around doing it do not have the best results.

February 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies . I am very keen to have it done but at the moment I'm nursing Layla and when I first rang about it years ago they said I couldn't have it done until 4 to 6 months after I'd finished breastfeeding.

At the moment my eyes seem to be changing at every appt anyway (getting better not worse!).

And I too don't actually care that I wear glasses, it is just the convenience. When I wear contacts one eye is wonderful, the other itches and annoys me all day, so I hardly wear them. But when I do, how I love not having to push glasses up on my nose, have them slip all the time because of sweat and how hot it is over here, not having dd try to pull them off all the time!!

And I know what Becky means too as I'm short and long sighted so until I got graduated lenses I wore my normal glasses, then carried around reading glasses, prescription sunglasses, plus had normal sunglasses for when I wore contacts!! Having graduated lenses has gotten rid of one lot of glasses at least!

Sam I think I was told that I'd probably still need reading glasses, but for me that's quite acceptable! It's more just the everyday things that would make life so much easier! And also, I would definitely go to a reputable office - I'm pretty careful about medical things and I defintely wouldn't want to mess with my eyes by going somewhere that didn't have a good track record!

Thanks again ladies... I just hope I can do it one day - I have a friend who went to get hers done but they told her it wouldn't work on her so I'd hate for that to be me too after I've thought about it for years!

February 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree about finding some reputable. There are a lot of "cheaper" places that I see advertised. I had mine done in 2004, so it was still pretty new and I paid $3000 for both eyes, screenings, followups, the whole thing. Had great results. I have not even needed reading glasses yet, but won't mind when do. Just being able to function and look out our window and see our barn

February 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
SnowAngel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it done March 06. I could only see clearly to about 4 inches away from my face before it got blurry. Best thing I have ever done. I used Lasik Plus. I used to wear contacts. (could never stand glasses after I got contacts) I have needed contacts/glasses since kindergarten.

Colors were brighter after! Its one thing I still notice after having it done. Greens in particular are so vibrant.

They have several different ways to do the surgery now. I would do a lot of research on your own before going in for a consult. Thats what I did.

I wear sunglasses because otherwise its to bright. Night time driving is fine except when others have their brights on. Sometimes I do see halo's around lights but its not a biggie to me.

My eyes do get a little dry every now and then but I use refresh gel drops.

February 28th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks! I can't do it now anyway because I'm still breastfeeding and last time I rang they said I had to wait at lest 4 to 6 months after nursing due to hormone changes. So I guess I have plenty of time to research it all myself!

February 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
I saw this in new posts, hope you don't mind if I chime in. Tons of my family have had it, the only really big con I can think of is, if you've had laser eye surgery, and later on in life you develop cataracts, there is a strong possibility they will not be able to operate. They've already taken so much of the protective stuff from your eyes that it can be way too dangerous for other eye surgery. Lots of people don't know that but my optometrist told me.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
February 28th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Mindy that is interesting. I'll have to start keeping a list of questions to ask!

March 2nd, 2011, 06:27 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never heard that before about the cataracts. Thanks Mindy for the heads up. I'll ask my eye doctor about it next time I go in, although with already having the surgery there's not much I can do now.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
March 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
No problem, I like to share that, since I didn't know either, but I know most people get cataracts when they are older and I thought it was something to consider.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search