What sort of baby stuff do you actually need?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To TTC-OM Graduates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have barely started thinking about any of this BUT it seems like there are only about two million products on the market for moms and their new babies. What are some things I will definitely need? What products did you enjoy the most or find the most helpful?

February 21st, 2012, 06:22 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
my favorite hidden gems were the nose frida and later on Sophie (teething giraffe).

Honestly all you have to have is a car seat, crib, diapers and some clothes. The rest just makes it more convenient.

February 21st, 2012, 07:15 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto what Sam says, most of the stuff makes life convenient, but you don't have to have much beyond the carseat, dipes & clothes.

The convenient items I found to be the most helpful was the stroller & bouncy seat. The pack-n-play was great for when he was in my room, especially for the night-time nursing sessions. And we still use for traveling too. highchair is good too. I started putting Mark in it early on, even before he was eating solids (around a few months old) since he liked to be with us, and it got him used to eating with us at the table. I know some ladies swear by a swing, we returned the one we got as a shower gift and used the money to buy the mattress for the crib. Some babies love them, others don't and it takes a lot of space, and they outgrow quickly. I also didn't get any special baby food makers either. And didn't buy pre-made baby food for Mark. He ate what we ate, we just used the mini chopper or the blender/food processor. I froze stuff ahead of time in small plastic containers, and we thawed and heated.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
February 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
great suggestions ladies

my can't live withouts:
swing(1/4 kids hated it, the rest LOVED it)
carseat/stroller travel system
crib, swaddle blankets, white noise machine--my kids sleep train early in their cribs-where you want you LO to sleep it totally your call
diapers-I tried cloth but its very expensive up here so I only did it with DS1
I bought all the baby food makers, all collected dust-all you need is a blender or fork
I use Naturesutten pacis
clothes-I go overboard. Babies might need ten outfits total including sleepers in each size, I have clothes none of the kids ever wore
Bumbo-loved it
boppies-great for bf, ff, and teaching them to sit up
jumperoos-best invention out there for 4-8month olds

Lucky mother to five!

February 22nd, 2012, 10:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First off Congratulations!

I have found that all we needed were a milk source (breast or bottle), paci, car seat, we use cloth diapers, and a jumperoo (I love it too Marie!). By far and away most baby stuff is just cute to look at, in my opinion. You can spend oodles of money on stuff that just isn't used very much. We also buy everything (except carseats) secondhand. You can save tons and they grow so fast, they don't wear them out.

February 23rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved the Boppy pillow too, it was sooooooo helpful. And I agree totally with the Second-Hand items (except the carseat). We get the majority of Mark's stuff from there, and it saves tons of money. I bet the majority of these items were never even worn. With his recent Elmo obsession, we picked him up 3 elmo stuffed animals for under $2.00 each, 2 of those are the talking ones that only required new batteries. Full retail for those talking ones is around $30 and up. I also got my maternity clothes that way too for when I needed them. Those can get expensive if you buy new too.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
February 23rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I liked a pack n play. It worked for our situation quite wonderfully.

February 26th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Teeniemama's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks so much ladies! This is sooooooo helpful. I usually do a lot of research before I work on a project, and this is obviously my big project how. I am hoping to buy a lot of second hand items since none of it will be used for very long. I am going to go add your suggestions to a list.

Here I am writing at 3 am since I cannot sleep through the night! This started happening to me immediately. I usually wake up at 2 but tonight it was a little later. My cat is pleased and she is trying to stand on the keyboard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search