Is anyone else having hair trouble

Forum: Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
Cindermella's Avatar Freakin Know it all
and by hair trouble I mean thinning and the inability to keep it clean. My hair is falling out strand at a time and its always oily. Super oily. INcredibly oily. And it itches like i have critters but I do not. I have tried switching shampoos to the point where there is a large variety in the bathroom and nothing seems to help.

Anyone else out there suffering like me?

Is this just another sign of mental pause?

I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"

I put the "D" in lysdexia

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Click here to remember Donovan
April 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
T&Ts mom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
itching is a symptom of peri meno-and yea thining hair
along with alot of awful stuff
i hate menopause it is a horrid thing to go thru
ive been dealing with it going on 3 years
and trying very hard to go thru it 100% natural {no drugs}
April 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
well i won't be taking drugs. You know estrogen replacement is the number one cause of boob cancer? I can do quite nicely with out boob cancer.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

April 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
yup thats why i said NO WAY to the doctor
April 1st, 2008, 09:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Blondzilla
Well I tell ya. I stopped having periods 3 yrs ago. My hair was falling out and looked like heck. HOWEVER, it is coming back--though not nearly as thick as it used to be. Now it's dry.
Thankfully, that was my only symptom of menopause. No hot flashes, no mood swings, no depression. Am I lucky or what?
Mel, it may not be the shampoo you're using but the conditioner. Also, I color my hair so that dries it out a lot. Go to a beauty supply shop or ask a hairdresser what they'd recommend for extremely oily hair.
Dani
April 2nd, 2008, 06:24 AM
your very lucky Dani
I seem to have gotten nailed with most
my mom didnt ugh
I have the hot flashes -but not too bad
heart palps-which sent me to the doc where my blood test came back perimeno at the age of 41
the itching which drives me bonkers
wooshing in the ear eye twitches
the screwy sleep patterns
and the periods from hell
the craveing of the salt

the moodswings were about 2 years ago my poor family lasted about 6 months to a year
my periods have shortend, now and most of the worst is behind me so it seems
i have learned never say never as it can take 5-10 years

but my poor sister 3 years older is just begining and she calls me is this normal is this ok (she is a nurse)
April 2nd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Shelly, I watched my mother (who started into menopause at the ripe old age of 39!!!) go through 15 years of carrying a fan around because she would get hot flashes that would turn her bright red and dripping with sweat no matter how cold it was outside (and this was in Virginia). She used to have THE THICKEST hair imaginable! Could not ever put it in a ponytail because it looked like a mop sitting on the back of her head! So she cut it all off...and I mean ALL! She kept it around 1/2 inch for many years. My grandmother started through the change at age 40. I figured if the trend continued, I should start around 38. WRONG! lol Every year I would pray this would be it. Every year I had the most miserable periods....at times so heavy I was housebound! In August of 2005, the abruptly stopped. Like flipping a switch! I kept waiting for another one but ....nothing. So I went to the doctor who assured me that although it was possible, probably not because I was kind of young. I asked him if there was a way to "test" to see if that was it and he replied "Is it going to change how you live your life if it is?" Well....yeah. I'm going to stop carrying tampons in my purse for one thing! lol For about a year, I kept a box in the trunk of my car JUST IN CASE. I kept waiting for the hot flashes and other stuff but never got them. Last year I had some blood work done and asked him to check that. Yep. That's it! WOOO HOOO! I can handle that! My mom is STILL battling occasional hot flashes. She's now 72. She tried hormones for a while but quit because she got periods! Uhh...yeah! I didn't know until recently that it affected hair and skin. She's got that problem too. Itchy skin that she can't get rid of...also the ringing in the ears. I think that drives her nuts more than the hot flashes. I just tell her not to worry...soon she'll be so old she won't be able to hear the ringing anyway. lol Thankfully, she knows my sense of humor...
Dani
April 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
ONe of my thoughtful friends told me it is also a side effect of diabetes. But my sugars have been in order recently so I am doubting that.

I bought yet another new shampoo.
sunsilk or some such thing.
Wish me luck.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

April 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! And if you find something that really works, let me know. My DD is diabetic (yes, uncontrolled diabetes affects hair too) and her hair is oily and has thinned SO much!
I am also constantly trying out new shampoos and conditioners...but for the opposite problem. My hair is so dry! My DH finally told me to get rid of at least SOME of the various bottles that cluttered up our shower. Poor guy. He puts up with so much from me. lol
Dani
April 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM
well drats. I knew it was either age or sugar.

Sanity is a cozy lie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search