Pregnant with older children...

Forum: Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 11:30 AM
sandel07's Avatar Veteran
I have a couple questions for those of you that have had a baby and older children....

How did they react to the pregnancy?

How are they toward the baby?

Do you feel like the older children have 'lost' out on some things since the baby has come?

While pregnant did you second guess your decision to have another child?

I am sure it is nerves, but I keep worrying about if I screwed up by getting pregnant again now. My boys are 12 and 14, they have two half siblings 2 and 6 months by their father who they love, but only see every other weekend. When my baby comes along it will be 24/7 and I am terrified they they will feel pushed to the side, I have been there 100% for them and I DONT want that to change.
Miracle baby Ella arrived Mar 22, 2013
6 losses at 4 to 7 weeks (feb 05, July 10, Oct 10, April 11, Oct 11 Feb 2012)

No explanation for losses

Last edited by sandel07; July 25th, 2012 at 07:03 AM.
July 24th, 2012, 01:48 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
Well, when I had Riley, Tyler and Kristen were 13 and 11 respectively, and Kolby was 5. They didn't have much to say about the pregnancy it was kind of like..Mom's pregnant again.
Yes, we all sacrificed to make room for baby. But, I don't think they blame him for anything they may have lost out on.
I was really afraid that Tyler was not going to accept the baby. In fact, while we were in the hospital, he didn't hold Riley one time. Barely looked at him. But, once we came home and got settled in, I couldn't keep Tyler away from him. (except when it came to diaper changes lol).
I actually tried to involve them as much as possible. When they are this age, it's hard to draw the line between making them feel like a care giver and being ignored. Ask their opinions on things that you don't mind about. Include them more in other aspects of the house. Let them plan the menu one week and make it regardless if it's hot dogs all week
I think they'll surprise you. Have you asked them how they feel?

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

July 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I am waiting to tell them about the baby until I am past a safe point. With talking to them in the past they said they didnt think a baby would hurt them, not once did they say it would be a bad idea.
I want them to have whatever involvement they want...if they want to babysit (paid of course) great, but if they dont I would never make them. I want this to be a happy life change, I dont want it to hurt them in anyway. I have been the single parent for over 7 years and have taken them to every game, practice, school event myself. I have been there for them 100% and I am afraid that will change.

July 25th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How did they react to the pregnancy?
Pretty surprised, my oldest was 13 and was disturbed about the fact that this meant we were still having sex, HAHA

How are they toward the baby?
They were great towards him

Do you feel like the older children have 'lost' out on some things since the baby has come?
I can't think of anything they have lost out on, honestly.

While pregnant did you second guess your decision to have another child?
It wasn't a decision, more of an "oops" so, every single day.
July 25th, 2012, 07:03 AM
No regrets today though, right?

July 26th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
None at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search