Hello Alice......

Forum: Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 9th, 2004, 09:50 AM
tamw402004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello Alice,
I guess it is just you & me on here for now! Hopefully we will get some more older Moms on here. How many kids do you have? How old are they?
I look forward to getting to know you better! TAKE CARE!

September 9th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Alice's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Tammy!

I had the feeling all along that I was in the minority here, but had no idea how much!

I'm 45-- 46 in October and my kids are young(!) Brian is 6 and started 1st grade on Wednesday. Julia is 4 and goes to Pre-K on Monday. She can't wait to get back to school, especially since Brian is now in school all day. Kira is 19 months. Her favorite tricks are to 1) push down the buckle on her car seat and shimmy her shoulders out and 2) empty out my wallet. So, one of these days, you won't hear from me. I will have been stopped by a cop who noticed a nude (another favorite trick) toddler wandering around my van. When stopped, I will have had no license or registration. I guess I should memorize the phone # of a lawyer

I live on Long Island, NY. Before Julia was born I taught high school math for 20 years; now I'm a SAHM until Kira is in school. I do lots of tutoring, which helps pay the bills. Peter teaches high school English, and does lots of photography for a studio on the side.

Well, that's the quick low-down on me. How about you??

Talk to you soon!

Alice
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
<a href="http://siggiez.com/countdownz/ch/index2.cgi">
September 10th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Hello Alice,

So nice hearing from you. I came out of a very abusive 23 year marraige about 2 years ago. I have 3 wonderful older kids from that marraige. They are Regina 24, Jeremy 21 and my baby Jared 14. I also have 2 beautiful grandsons. They are all the greatest joys my life. And they know it too!
I am married to a wonderful man. ( My John) .....We will celebrate our 1st year anniversary Nov 7th. He has made such a great difference in my life! I never thought I could love a man or be loved by man like I have with him! It is fantastic!
My hubby has no children. We have been trying to conceive since earlier this year. We have miscarried twice! I am 40 years old. I will be 41 on Nov. 30th. My hubby is 42 years old.
"LIFE IS GREAT"

Any advice on having children at an older age?

I guess it is just you & me here for now!

Hope to hear from you soon..........Take Care!

GOD BLESS!

Oh I forgot a few things...... We live in Ohio. I am stay at home Mom right now . I will be going back to work soon. ( Superior Metals)
My hubby is a plumber & pipefitter. (Welder)

September 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
As far as advice goes, I'm not sure I should be the one giving it:

Peter and I tried for 9 years to get pregnant. We didn't try much of the medical stuff... no IVF or anything. We just figured it would happen when it happened. It didn't. So we adopted Brian from Korea. It was the single most important decision of our marriage. Brian is a wonderful little 6 year old (when I don't want to kill him, of course ) who is hopefully fast asleep as I write this. Anyway, he arrived (at 7 months old) at JFK on January 12, 1999. I was 40.

By Father's Day I was pregnant with Julia.

Three years later, along came Kira.

As far as parenting goes, I think I'm probably a better parent now than I would have been 20 years ago. (NOTE To anyone else reading this, I'm talking about ME... not making a value judgement on women who have kids earlier than I did.) I tend to see a lot more shades of grey than I did in my 20s. I think I also appreciate my kids more than I would have.. I take the time to smell the roses, and also to puddle stomp, and admire the worms. I'm not sure it would have been as important to me had I not waited so long for kids.

Anyway, I just got home from a meeting (nursery school for Julia-- I'm Pres of the Parents Board) and I'm dying for a cup of tea. Talk to you soon.
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
September 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alice@Sep 10 2004, 07:34 PM
As far as advice goes, I'm not sure I should be the one giving it:

Peter and I tried for 9 years to get pregnant. We didn't try much of the medical stuff... no IVF or anything. We just figured it would happen when it happened. It didn't. So we adopted Brian from Korea. It was the single most important decision of our marriage. Brian is a wonderful little 6 year old (when I don't want to kill him, of course ) who is hopefully fast asleep as I write this. Anyway, he arrived (at 7 months old) at JFK on January 12, 1999. I was 40.

By Father's Day I was pregnant with Julia.

Three years later, along came Kira.

As far as parenting goes, I think I'm probably a better parent now than I would have been 20 years ago. (NOTE To anyone else reading this, I'm talking about ME... not making a value judgement on women who have kids earlier than I did.) I tend to see a lot more shades of grey than I did in my 20s. I think I also appreciate my kids more than I would have.. I take the time to smell the roses, and also to puddle stomp, and admire the worms. I'm not sure it would have been as important to me had I not waited so long for kids.

Anyway, I just got home from a meeting (nursery school for Julia-- I'm Pres of the Parents Board) and I'm dying for a cup of tea. Talk to you soon.
Hello Alice........All of that brought tears to my eyes! I love hearing happy endings. Or I should say beginnings! It really gives us hope on having a baby too!

My hubby & I have very high hopes on conceiving a healthy baby soon. My doctor keeps reassuring us I am in great shape. Just to keep on trying. So, we are!

I loved having my 3 older kids when was young. But, now that I am older I`m really ready to start all over and do it all again. (All that comes along with babies & toddlers) And raising good healthy kids..I`m sure you know what I mean!? If we are lucky enough to have a baby the baby will be loved so much!
I have always loved being a MOM.

I hope you are having a great weekend! See you on here soon.

September 12th, 2004, 03:55 PM
I know what you mean about loving being a mom.

Keep trying for that baby... I had a mis somewhere along the way before we adopted. Like you, there was no good reason for it to happen, and no reason to think we wouldn't have better luck next time. And of course we did.

How wonderful to have grandkids while you're still young enough to enjoy them. It's great that you'll be a real fixture in their lives. One of the few real regrets in my life is that Kira will never know my dad-- he died 2 weeks before she was born. And Julia probably won't really remember him.

Where do you live?
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
September 14th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Good morning Alice,
We live in Westminster, Ohio. We are moving closer to my daughter ,her hubby & my grandsons next month. We will be living about 3 blocks from them.
Oh yes, it is wonderful being a grandma. I love it! I am super close with my grandsons just as I am with my kids & their partners. We are all extremely close together!

My daughter,Regina just told be great news yesterday. She tested positive ...........I`m going to be a MAW-MAW for the 3rd time! :clapping: We are all soooo excited!

I wrote about how she told me on the TTC board.
My family is growing....I love it!

Now I am only hoping I can give my hubby his first child! Only GOD knows if it will happen. All we can do is Pray that GOD will bless us with a baby!

I hope you are having a good week.
TAKE CARE! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

September 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Hi Tammy!

I can't believe it's only the two of us!! Wow!-- lots of 20's mommies out there!

That's great news about Regina-- is this her first? (Sorry, I haven't read the TTC post yet!) It's funny, I met an old collegue today. She's probably in her late 30's and has a 4 week old baby. He's only sleeping 2 hours at a time, then waking up hungry. He's a big baby-- her husband is really big too (not fat, just really tall and broad shouldered. The baby apparently takes after him.) She said that no one ever told her how really hard it all is. Not just emotionally, but physically. And she's in amazing shape-- she coaches the volleyball team at the school where we used to work together. She goes back to teaching in 2 weeks. Looking back, I wonder how I did it. She's right: it's really really hard. That sleep deprivation is a killer.

I'm not trying to make any point at all, just thinking about new babies.

Things around here are settling down for the night. Peter had to go back to school. He teaches Junior English at a local Catholic High School, and tonight is Meet the Teacher night. I was out of the house from 3-6, at a meeting where I used to work. I'm on the committe that makes up the entrance exam for the local Catholic High Schools, and we had a proofreading meeting. Thank God for the girls down the block-- they're great about babysitting my kids on days like this and while I tutor.

Well, I'm really rambling tonight. Sorry about that. Hope all is well.

Alice
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
September 15th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Hi Alice,
I hope you are having a good day!
I have been busy cleaning. That is always my morning routine right when I get out of bed.
My daughter, Regina & her hubby, Gary have 2 little boys, Jalen & Brandon. They both are my pride & joy! I love when they come running to me when I go see them. They both will hop up on my lap and hug me and say, I love you Maw-Maw.

Oh, I know how it is with babies. I never had a problem getting up with my babies. It came natural for me. Actually every since I had my daughter 24 years ago. I have never slept through a night. Even since my grandsons were born I have kept them over night alot. I had Jalen my first grandson alot his first year of life. My daughter was in school at the time. Most people thought Jalen was my baby. So, I still have very fresh in my mind about babies. I do not think it ever leaves you. The mothering & nurturing ways. I just hope I can have another baby soon.

How are your little ones dealing with school? My teenage Son, Jared is loving his first year in High School. He said it is much better then Jr. High.
He has always done extremely well in school. As well as my other two grown kids.
They both graduated with very high grades. My oldest Son, Jeremy attends college now. And works 2 jobs. I`m very proud of my kids.
Just knowing how things have been with my kids as I was raising them .All the love & pride we have for each other. And now seeing the way they each are now as young adults. It makes me know how sure I am about having another child.

I guess I am rambling myself now!

I guess I will go for now!
Take care! Hope to hear from you soon! TAMMY

September 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Hi Tammy!

I'm still alive and well, but the weekend was hectic. From Nursery School (I'm Pres of the Parent Boad of a Coop) to babysitting my friend's son for 24 hours (her husband has a staff infection on his leg and went into the ER last night... and her 4 year old son just drives me insane!!), it's been busy. I'll catch up with you in a day or two when I catch my breath.

Alice
JULIA (2-17-00)
KIRA (2-04-03)
September 23rd, 2004, 05:39 AM
Hi Alice,
Nice hearing from you.
I`ve been busy myself lately. I`ve been spending lots of time with my Grandsons.
My Hubby & I have been helping my Daughter & Son-in-law move into their new home. They are almost all moved in.
Then next week my Hubby & I will start moving ourselves. We are moving closer to my Daughter & her family. About 4 blocks from them.
I look forward to moving. It is a bigger home then what we have right now.
I will not be on here much for about 2 weeks when we start moving in.

I hope all goes well for you!!! TAKE CARE!

Tammy

September 23rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Veteran
Hi- I'm going to jump in here. I've been gone from the boards for quite a while, we had tons of trouble with our cable connection. Finally got it fixed!
I'm 43, will be 44 in Nov. I have two children - Nicole who is 14 and a Freshman. My late first husband and I adopted her ( we were foster parents in Fl.). When he died I moved back to IL. where I met and married my current husband, the love of my life. We tried for 3 years to conceive and on Christmas Eve 1997 I conceived Gabe. He will be 6 tomorrow! He is in Kindergarten and an absolute delight. I truly believe being older parents we enjoy our kids so much! We can appreciate how short this time is!
In addition I have three grown step-children from my first marriage and two grown step-sons from my second marriage. Talk about your blended families!
I hope it was ok to jump in here. I enjoyed reading all your posts.
September 23rd, 2004, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Miss Kitty@Sep 23 2004, 08:13 AM
Hi- I'm going to jump in here. I've been gone from the boards for quite a while, we had tons of trouble with our cable connection. Finally got it fixed!
I'm 43, will be 44 in Nov. I have two children - Nicole who is 14 and a Freshman. My late first husband and I adopted her ( we were foster parents in Fl.). When he died I moved back to IL. where I met and married my current husband, the love of my life. We tried for 3 years to conceive and on Christmas Eve 1997 I conceived Gabe. He will be 6 tomorrow! He is in Kindergarten and an absolute delight. I truly believe being older parents we enjoy our kids so much! We can appreciate how short this time is!
In addition I have three grown step-children from my first marriage and two grown step-sons from my second marriage. Talk about your blended families!
I hope it was ok to jump in here. I enjoyed reading all your posts.
Hello!!!

I`m glad you found us! It will be great having another older Mom on here with us.
I really enjoy hearing about older Moms having children. The stories behind finally having a healthy baby. (Gives me more hope!) My Hubby & I are trying to have a baby ourselves. We have been trying since earlier this year. We have had 2 miscarries. I had to have some cyst removed from my ovary in Aug. I am feeling pretty good this month. Everything seems to be back to normal with my body. So, hopefully we will concieve real soon.I will be 41 Nov.30th. My Hubby is 42.

I look forward to getting to know you better.

So happy for you, that your life is good & happy!

See you around!
TAKE CARE!!!!

Tammy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search