Newbie intro

Forum: Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Spider123's Avatar Veteran
Hello, new friends.

I'd like to be called Spider or NOS until I get to know everyone better, because I have a bad habit of oversharing online. The consequences have been more along the lines of annoying sophmoric pranks and unnecessarily hurt feelings than anything I needed to call the police about, but I'd like to try to set a better example for others and just stop doing stupid, dangerous things that I know I'm going to regret later.

I'm 48 1/2 years old and I have four kids: dd1 (my caregiving bookworm) is 25 and a full time nanny for her stepsister's daughter. She lives across the country with her father and stepmother. dd2 (my itinerant philosophy major) is 24 and currently works at a hotel in Guam but is planning on returning to the mainland and remaining debt free while she continues her education. ds1 (my Soldier) is 21, lives a few blocks away from me, is a Combat Engineer in the National Guard, and plans on going into law enforcement. ds2 (my little miracle) is five, loves puppetry and crafting, just figured out that he can read, and plans on doing Math and Phonics in kindergarten this year. We're a homeschooling family but ds1 decided to go to ps for high school.

Much as I look forward to being a gramma someday, I accept the fact that none of my kids are ready to be parents yet.

I'm mostly retired now, but I'm usually game for odd jobs I can do at home or in a work environment where the baby can come with me. That has been elderly/disabled care and data processing when ds was an infant and a young toddler, sewing in the present, and who knows what in the future.

I don't have any pets right now, but I grew up with Shetland Sheepdogs (my mom bred them and trained and exhibited them in AKC Obedience trials and later Agility) and had cats for most of my adult life.

I don't have many friends my own age right now and I miss being able to talk about silly stuff like John-Boy's mole almost as much as I miss more serious discussions about perimenopause or adjusting to our kids growing up and moving away.

I do not buy into the "youth culture", would rather enjoy this exciting transition from mother to crone than take HRT, and greatly look forward to my 50s and 60s. Other than periodontal disease and vision issues, I'm in excellent health and better physical condition than I was in my 20s and 30s.

My favourite colour really is purple* and I've waited long enough to wear it!
August 18th, 2013, 05:05 PM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hello Spider! So glad you posted and intro.

As you can tell from my siggy, I am Michelle, married to Tony and have a son named David and a daughter named Hailey.

David is 15 and Hailey is 10.

I worked full time outside the home as a medical biller for a specialty doctors office.

I look forward to posting with you

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

August 18th, 2013, 05:55 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
It's wonderful to have you, Spider!

I'm Dana, I'm 40 and I have 4 kiddos altogether; Tyler is 19 (almost 20 YIKES!), Kristen is 18 and has a 2 year old daughter, Kolby is 10 and Riley is 6.
I'm a nurse, working only very part time, for a home health agency.
And my favorite color is purple too.

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

August 20th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Nice to meet you all. My name is Julie. I'm 42 and live in California. Divorced, with three boys. Danny (14), Nicholas (12) and Adam (10). I'm a SAHM.

Really nice to meet you and am glad I found such a place.
August 20th, 2013, 07:53 AM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
Welcome Julie! I look forward to getting to know you and your boys!

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

August 20th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thank you Dana and likewise with yours!
August 20th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Welcome, Julie. It looks like a really nice, friendly group of people here and the board seems well moderated.
August 20th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Thank you Spider. I had to smile when I read your introduction - I love The Waltons. Well, I love the Waltons up to a point. Once the kids all started growing up, having kids, grandpa died and grandma came back post-stroke, it just became too bittersweet and sad for me to watch. I hope that makes sense. But I absolutely adore watching those first few seasons.

Anyway, thanks again.
August 20th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I think I stopped watching by then. ds and I are still on the second season, watching all of those classic shows all over again.

We have the first season of Family Affair on its way too, but those are harder to find used than the Waltons.

We also like The Partridge Family and Bewitched.
August 21st, 2013, 11:41 AM
I'd forgotten about Family Affair. Kind of similar to Mr. Belvedere.

I also like the show Wind At My Back. A Canadian version of The Waltons perhaps; it really emulated many of the characters and story line of the Waltons - even going so far as to have the matriarch/grandmother suffer a stroke. But, unlike Ellen Corby, the actress who played the grandmother in Wind At My Back (Shirley Douglas - the wife of Donald Sutherland and mom of Kiefer) only feigned being post-stroke. Ellen Corby actually had a stroke and came back to the show, her real-life struggles being put into the role of Esther Walton. Truly a testament to her spirit, but incredibly heartbreaking to watch play out in those later series.
August 21st, 2013, 04:51 PM
Wind At My Back sounds really, really good; I'm going to see if my library or any of my friends has it. Thank you also for the "heads up" about the later Waltons episodes, which I want to wait on until ds is older or has more life experiences that I am in no hurry for him to go through.

My Family Affair DVDs are here and SO worth the money, although I don't know if anything is worth being so afraid to share them.

The Brady Bunch was a disappointment--Mike really should have married Alice instead of Carol and the kids need somne sort of therapy to get past the incessant, boring "battle-of-the-sexes" quibbling and become a united family.

Uncle Bill is a much better role model for my son and much, much more enjoyable for me to hear in the background why the mommy guilt threatens to rear its ugly head.
August 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM
I really hope you find Wind At My Back. Though at times it does seem like it's trying to compete with and/or be The Waltons, the acting, story lines, scenery (Canada)...it's all wonderful.

As for those later Waltons episodes, you're welcome. Once John Boy left, the story lines started getting a bit stranger, then Grandpa died, Grandma had a stroke, Mary Ellen's husband died in the war (leaving her a widow with a baby) and it just becomes a rather bleak affair as a whole (especially when compared with those earlier seasons). I've seen every single episode repeatedly, but those first five or six season are a total joy and delight.
August 22nd, 2013, 02:26 AM
wefrogy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Julie and welcome to the board!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy

September 6th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Nice to meet you wefrogy and thank you.

Also, Spider, I was reminded of this thread the other day; I was watching the Waltons and happened upon that period of time when they brought in another actor to play John Boy. That was terrible. John Boy is and will always be Richard Thomas. That role is his. Seeing another actor playing John Boy was just awful. Lol.
September 9th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Oh no! Do you remember what season that was, Julie? I do NOT want to see that! It would make me want to wash my eyeballs out with clorox! I'm still waiting my turn for the third season right now and I'm getting impatient.

I finally found a place where I could stream Family Affair, something like the day after my boughten DVDs got here. Isn't that always the case? I'll post the link, because it's such a sweet show and I wish I'd rediscovered it sooner since little ds is a bit old for it and gdc1 doesn't exist yet.

I can't right now because I've been having trouble logging in from my desktop, where my bookmarks are stored. I'm glad I thought to try the lightweight browser on my lappy instead of just assuming I'd been banned for being too chatty.

I'm such a dork.
September 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM
My login is still weird, but at least I can use my regular computer again. It was some issue with an update that my developers fixed promptly.

Family Affair

It looks like a good streaming site. My taste in TV is somewhat limited, but maybe one of your hard-to-find favourites is there too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search