SAHM Questions: Finances & Budgetting

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2010, 05:56 AM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
I put together these questions as a way for us all to see what we do with our finances, which things we live without or with but not giving exact prices. Feel free to leave out any questions you don't feel comfortable answering.

1) Do you own or rent?

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc?

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use?

4) How often do you shop for groceries?

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card?

6) How often do you use coupons?

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another?

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids?

9) Do you follow a meal plan?

10) What is your monthly food budget?

11) Do you have cable TV?

12) Do you have internet?

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services?

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants?

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck?

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget?

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)?

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase?

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone?

21) Do you carry health insurance?

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance?

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school?

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule?

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
August 26th, 2010, 06:42 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1) Do you own or rent? Own

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? house

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? yes

4) How often do you shop for groceries? weekly

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? debit, but I make sure to write it in my checkbook right then.

6) How often do you use coupons?ALWAYS, I never leave home without them

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another?Yes, I prefer Meijer but Kroger is closest so that leaves me buying only sale and coupon items (I hate Kroger, if it's not on sale it's $$$$$$$)

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids?YES!!!!

9) Do you follow a meal plan? I try, and sometimes do, but usually no. But I should and want to.

10) What is your monthly food budget? $400 and I usually come in under it .

11) Do you have cable TV? NO

12) Do you have internet? Yes, husband is IT so we have to... and I HAVE to have it for JM (and couponing)!

13) Do you use a bundle package for your TV, internet and phone services? No, we have no home phone or TV.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants?Fast food, maybe 2 times a month. Sit down, maybe once every other month.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Sometimes yes. It sucks!

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? Nothing. I have always been a tightwad .

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? My van, about 2 times a month. DH little tank car, twice a week .

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Of course!

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? Cell phone. And I don't ever see me being willing to spend money on a data plan so I will never own a smart phone.

21) Do you carry health insurance? Okay, here is my big dark secret, Dh and I do not currently have health insurance It is something that we are working on and we make sure to save money each money in case something should happen to either of us. The kids have Healthy Start through the state but we can not afford DH's insurance through his work. It's up wards of $500 a month plus $2000 deducable... I'd rather bank that money .

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? WIC, Healthy Start

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school?N/A

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule?Schedule

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. Yes

Forever remembering your smiling face.
August 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
mom2xander's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2xander Send a message via Yahoo to mom2xander Send a message via Skype™ to mom2xander
1) Do you own or rent? Neither - live with my mom right now.

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? House.

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? Not right now, since I just have my car insurance. But when I do need either home or renters, I will bundle. Probably with State Farm. Right now, my car insurance is through a local insurance company because it's cheaper that way. I pay about $62 per month for one car just liability. I had just liability 3 years ago at $114 per month, so not bad.

Every 2 weeks, sometimes every week if we run out of something. I try to get enough for 2 weeks though.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? I use my debit card as credit because I get points that I can put towards $25 cash directly in my account in 2 business days.

As much as possible. I'm not that great at couponing right now, but it's something I need to get more proactive about.

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? I find Walmart is usually cheapest, but sometimes go to Fry's (owned by Kroger) if I need something small last minute (it's less than 1/4 mile from the house).

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? Depends what it is, but yes. Anywhere I can save money, I try to.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? I used to. I need to get back on it.

Right now, I just buy for Xander - about $135 per month. When I was buying for my ex, myself, and our roommate, it was about $200 per month. For just us now, it would probably be about $300.

DirecTV (satellite) but I don't pay for it. I would probably do Dish with my own place, only because it's cheaper for the first year right now ($29 vs $39). It's actually the exact same price when the first year is up for both companies - I actually do prefer DirecTV)

OF course

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? Just internet and TV - we already had an account with DirecTV. Soon, it won't be bundled - my mom is getting rid of the land line soon.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? A few times a month.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Yes, when I'm lucky. I still have to dip into my savings sometimes.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? A lot of things from a second-hand kids store, sold old things for "new" ones on Craigslist - like sold a highchair and bought a booster seat, sold older toys to buy "new" clothes, etc.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? Usually need gas every 2 weeks, and every trip to see bf. So I'll buy gas for the work pay period, then again when I go to visit. So I guess it averages out to once a week. I get pretty decent gas mileage for an older car - 35 mpg.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furniture do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Yes. I buy whatever I can used. There are tons of people who will give away furniture free when they buy new ones or move, so I check listings a lot.

I have a Droid. I had a Blackberry for awhile, before switching to the Droid. I haven't had a standard cellphone in awhile.

21) Do you carry health insurance? I get health insurance from the state, so yes.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? Yes. I'm on WIC, AHCCCS (Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System), and I'm reapplying for food stamps and cash assistance on Tuesday (have to be 22 and my birthday is Monday).

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? n/a

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? When I have the money, I will pay them when they come in - but when I'm going check to check, I pay them when I get paid - usually within the hour of my direct deposit (10pm).

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. No. Bad past experience with things coming out when they aren't supposed to.

August 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM
YoungerMomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to YoungerMomma
1) Do you own or rent? Rent to Own

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc?House

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use?We only have Auto and Renters and Yes they are with the same company.

4) How often do you shop for groceries?Once every 2 weeks, and when needed during the week.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card?Cash

6) How often do you use coupons?Not as often as I like.

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another?I like a bunch. We go to 1 for meat, 1 for groceries, and 1 for soda.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids?Absolutely, Who wouldnt?

9) Do you follow a meal plan?No

10) What is your monthly food budget?450 somewhere around there.

11) Do you have cable TV?Yes

12) Do you have internet?Yes

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services?T.v. and internet yes.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants?about 2 times a week.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck?Somewhat.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget?Eating out, we used to eat out ALL the time.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)?Once a week or ever 2.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase?No

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone?Smartphone

21) Do you carry health insurance?Yes my husband does through his work.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? We dont qualify for any of it.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school?N/A.

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? With each paycheck on a schedule.

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? No
August 26th, 2010, 12:19 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? House

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? No we dont. we have car, house, income and life insurance and none are with the same company. we dont get any discount for having them with the same company so it works out much cheaper having them separate. i dont think any of the companies operate in the US, so i wont bore you with the list!

4) How often do you shop for groceries? Every week, but i buy fresh veggies at the weekend too.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? I use my debit card for planned spending, like groceries or bills, but i use cash for everything else.

Whenever i see them. They arent as widely used here as in the states, but i do keep my eyes out for them and i do use them whenever they have something i ususally buy.

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? I prefer tesco. i rarely shop around, but i do go to aldi sometimes when i am in that part of town. tesco (target to you guys!) just have everything i want at the cheapest price.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? For jake, never. Partly because we have only ever been offered rubbish that i would be ashamed to put on my child, and partly because i am very proud when it comes to jake (long explaination!). For myself and dh, i would definitely except hand-me-downs. especially from my mom, she has awesome clothes i would never be able to afford!

9) Do you follow a meal plan? Yes, always! my family wouldnt eat if i didnt!

€400 a month, and i usually come in a few euro under.

No. we thought about it, but its not worth the money for us.

Yes, i have to have it!

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? We have a bundle for our home phone and internet. Even tho we dont use the phone, it makes the internet cheaper.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? At least once a week, but its usually to sandwich bars and those kinda things.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Yes, every month. not sure how to stop tho.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget?Entertainment. we dont really do anything. the internet and the library are the only things we really use for entertainment.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? every 6 days. i get 6 days out of €50 of petrol. its crazy.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furniture do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? I dont, but dh loves to shop around. I leave that to him.

I have a smart phone, but i rarely use the internet on it! i just like the touch screen!

21) Do you carry health insurance? No, Dh has it, but we have state run healthcare here, so it doesnt matter as the most we'd have to pay is €100

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? the only thing we qualify for is free healthcare, meaning we dont have to pay the €55 for the GP visit, or the €60 hospital admin charge.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? n/a

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? Our bills go out from our account automatically, and i think thats 2 weeks after we recieve the bill. not sure how that counts!

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. Yes, all of them. its my saviour!

Last edited by TheOnlyPink; August 26th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
August 26th, 2010, 02:50 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
1) Do you own or rent? RENT

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? CONDO/DUPLEX

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? YES.

4) How often do you shop for groceries? EVERY 15 DAYS.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? USUALLY DEBIT CARD AND CASH FOR SMALLER UNDER $15 PURCHASES

6) How often do you use coupons? NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? NOPE, IF IT'S GOT A GOOD LOW PRICE I'LL BUY.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? ABSOLUTELY.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? TRY TO. BUT IT IS A LITTLE TRICKY AT TIMES!

10) What is your monthly food budget? OUR FOOD BUDGET IS ABOUT $220. IF I INCLUDE DIAPERS BECAUSE I TEND TO BUY THEM WITH MY GROCERIES, IT'S ABOUT $300 A MONTH

11) Do you have cable TV? YES

12) Do you have internet? YES

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? SORT OF, OUR INTERNET AND CABLE ARE WITH THE SAME PROVIDER. BUT IT DOES NOT SAVE US ANY.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? ONCE A WEEK.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? WE TRY NOT TO. BUT SOMETIMES IT DOES HAPPEN.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? I'VE REALLY LOOKED AT THE BUDGETS AND MADE SURE WE CAN

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? USUALLY ONCE A MONTH FOR MY CAR, SOMETIMES TWICE IF I HAVE DONE A LOT OF DRIVING.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? ABSOLUTELY, ALWAYS. I DO MOST OF IT ONLINE AND AT LOCAL STORES.

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? I HAVE A SMARTPHONE.

21) Do you carry health insurance? YES.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? YES, BELLE, EMILY AND I ARE ON WIC.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? NOT SURE YET, BUT WE'LL FIND OUT SOON!

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? THEY ARE PAID WITH EACH PAYCHECK.

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. YES, TAKEN FROM AN ACCOUNT WE HARDLY USE SO THAT WE AREN'T OVER DRAWN OR HAVE MISTAKES MADE.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
September 3rd, 2010, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
1) Do you own or rent? OWN

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? yes we do.. we use USAA.. have been great to work with!

4) How often do you shop for groceries? every 2 weeks unless we run out then i make a weekly run.. ( rafe seems to always run out of wet wipes.. )

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? mostly debit card..

6) How often do you use coupons? sometimes.. I should use more of them

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? well we shop at costco and walmart..

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? yes,depending on what it is.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? sometimes if i work one out myself.. but i need to do a better job of it!

10) What is your monthly food budget? around 400.. (with 2 boys, dh, and prego me , we eat a lot!)

11) Do you have cable TV? YES

12) Do you have internet? YES (couldnt live with out my JM fix)

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? nope actually cheaper to do all at seperate places

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? once a week unless it is a special occasion then we may do more than once a week!

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? sometimes..

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? dont eat out as much !

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? hmm maybe once every 2 weeks for me and once a week for dh

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? yes we do, also we wait for big holiday sales

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? yes we both have cell phones

21) Do you carry health insurance? yes through DH work

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? NEED to go get on wic again.. had it when we lived overseas

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? eats at school or takes lunch, dont qualify for free lunches

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? When they are due and by pay check.. we made sure half of bills on one paycheck and half on other

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. YES

September 5th, 2010, 10:15 AM
gctattoo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? No--Allstate for house, Progressive for auto.
4) How often do you shop for groceries? Weekly

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? Usually cash, occasionally debit card.

6) How often do you use coupons? Every trip.

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? Yes, Publix is my fave.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? No.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? Yes.

10) What is your monthly food budget? I don't really have a budget, but I prefer to stay under $400 for everything-- food, pet, household, hygiene, etc.
11) Do you have cable TV? No, satellite.

12) Do you have internet? Yes.

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? No.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? Fast food a few times per month, sit-down once per month maybe.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? We have been lately. Although we do have an emergency fund.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? I didn't change anything. We've always lived within our means so it really made no difference to us.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? Once per week usually.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Not especially. We have few choices around here and rarely buy big things anyway.
20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? Not me, but DH has a cell.

21) Do you carry health insurance? No health insurance for me. DH and DD have it through his job.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? Nope, don't need it.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? N/A

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? I prefer to pay them as soon as we get them. But that's not been possible the last few months. So I pay them about a week before they're due right now.

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. Yes.
November 30th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
1) Do you own or rent? Rent, Dh wants to buy, I don't.

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? townhouse/bungalow

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? We only have home insurance, we do not drive.

4) How often do you shop for groceries? Every second Sunday

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? I use debit or credit mostly.

6) How often do you use coupons? Rarely, I went through a phase though when i wouldn't go anywhere with out them.

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? Superstore cause it's cheap, safeway cause it's close lol.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? Seems selfish but I accept them for Nina, not for DH or myself... maybe I would, never been asked lol.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? No

10) What is your monthly food budget? We don't have a budget

11) Do you have cable TV? Yes

12) Do you have internet? Yes

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? No phone, cable and internet are.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? A few times a week

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? No

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? Nothing

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? Never

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Most of the time.

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? We both have smartphones

21) Do you carry health insurance? Yes, I live in Alberta Canada it's mandatory and free.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? We don't qualify for welfare because DH is an immigrant but I'm not sure which of those programs we even have here lol. Maybe if i qualified I would.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? Our schools don't have free lunches

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? When they come in

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please.

No

Thanks KELLY for my amazing siggggyyyy.
December 11th, 2010, 01:22 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
1) Do you own or rent?
rent

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc?
apartment

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use?
no, car insurance is geico.

feels like i go all.the.time..id say one big trip once a month and then i go once a week for produce etc.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card?
usually cash/debit card.

i used to use them way more then i do now, i need to start couponing again! now ive been using them if i have one.

yes, winco and super walmart are great prices but i hate the long lines and the workers suck so i usually end up doing fred meyers althought we live across the street from safeway so i run there sometimes to.

most deff, love them!

i try, i need to get into a better habit of doing that.

try to shoot for 250- 300 or less.

we do now after not having it for three years, lol.

yes.

we are not paying for them right now, my grandfather is.

rarely ever, maby once every couple months if that.

sometimes.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget?
name brands, clothes, buying brand new.

once a week, twenty bucks.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase?
yes, sure do.

cell phone.

yes.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance?
yes, my kids have state medical right now.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school?
raleighs preschool provides the lunch there for all the kids.

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule?
when they come in/are due.

yes.
December 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
leona_me's Avatar Super Mommy

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? Yep! State Farm.

4) How often do you shop for groceries? One big trip a month, and produce trips weekly.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? Mostly cash

6) How often do you use coupons? Not as often as I should...

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? Cub Foods is DEFINITELY my favorite.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? 100% yes!

9) Do you follow a meal plan? A loose one

10) What is your monthly food budget? $200 is the cap, we're usually a bit under.

11) Do you have cable TV? Nope, don't even have regular tv.

12) Do you have internet? Yes

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? Yes, internet and landline

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? DH and I try to make a night of it twice a month

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Not anymore, thank goodness!

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? Nothing, actually. DH has a well-paying job now, but we were so poor for so long that we never got in the habit of spending much money on ANYTHING.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? DH does the gas-buying for the most part, but about once every week?

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Absolutely!

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? We have a crappy prepay that we keep in the glove compartment for emergencies, other than that, no cell phones.

21) Do you carry health insurance? Yes

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? We used to need food stamps, but we don't anymore.

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? We have a certain day every month where we sit down and pay all the bills.

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. Nope

December 21st, 2010, 09:55 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
1) Do you own or rent? own

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? yes all 1 provider

4) How often do you shop for groceries? twice a month big grocery shopping then once or twice more for things like milk and bread

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? cash or debit

6) How often do you use coupons? rarely lol i know i should use em more but i try to shop when they have sales going on

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? hy-vee is my main grocery store

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? heck yeah i do! its christmas time when my sil sends me clothes for helena LOL

9) Do you follow a meal plan? i try to

10) What is your monthly food budget?i try not to spend over 300 combined during both big shopping trips

11) Do you have cable TV? satellite

12) Do you have internet? yes dsl

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? our internet and phone is bundled cause its dsl lol cant have internet without the phone out in the country

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? hardly ever....maybe once every 3 or 4 months

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? we used to but thankfully we dont anymore

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? going out to eat..ie fast food or sit down places

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? hmmm once or twice a month? for each car...we have 2 cars

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? ohh yes we never even leave the house without price comparing for big items

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? cell phones

21) Do you carry health insurance? yes through dhs work

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? we did wic and had helath insurance for me when i was pregnant when dh was in the military (sad i know to be able to be on it then...but he literally was making NO money)

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? up until this year they were reduced lunch now they do full price and they usually eat at school...only because i want them to have the variety that i cannot pack for them here at home....but i will pack their lunches occasionally

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? pay day usually....i will set a pre-set date if i need to...but for the most part all of our bills fall around when dh gets paid anyways LOL so its convienent

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. yes

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

April 15th, 2012, 03:55 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
1) Do you own or rent? Rent

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? We don't have insurance. Silly, I know. We can't get it in Christchurch anymore because of the Earthquakes. No insurance provider wants to touch ChCh people!

4) How often do you shop for groceries? Once or twice a week

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? We have a debit card (I'm guessing that is the one where it is like a credit card but you are using your own money?), we don't like to carry cash

6) How often do you use coupons? Whenever I see them. They aren't as widely used here as in the states, but I do keep my eyes out for them and I do use them whenever they have something I usually buy. (had to copy your answer Robyn as it is the same here in NZ!)

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? Not really. I know the Pak n Save is the cheapest in our country, but Countdown is pretty up there with them. So we normally shop at either one of the two

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? Yep but only if they are still useable! I have been given clothing for Eve that has been stretched, stained etc before and it goes into the rubbish!

9) Do you follow a meal plan? No, but I know we should!

10) What is your monthly food budget? About $400 - $480 a month. It all depends on the week (we may need toiletries one week and not the next etc, same with house-hold items (laundry powder etc))

11) Do you have cable TV? No. we thought about it, but its not worth the money for us. (Again, same as you Robyn )

12) Do you have internet? Yep! I couldn't do without the internet!

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? We have a bundle package for our phone + internet. It is much cheaper than having a phone line and internet separate

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? Once in a blue moon. Mainly for special occasions

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Yes, every week. We are sometimes left with no money two or three days before our next pay. It is really bad

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? Entertainment for sure! We haven't been out together in a longgg time!

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? Every week. We put in about $30 - $40 a week and it lasts us about 5-7 days depending on what we do and where we go

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furniture do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? I try to get the best deal, yes

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? I have a smart phone. I don't really use the internet on it as it costs and I have the internet at home, so don't feel the need!

21) Do you carry health insurance? No

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? We are claiming government help as the SO lost his job (not sure why!) so there is no other way of income for us

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? N/A

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? Honestly, when we can afford it. It sucks not having a job! Thankfully our providers are very understanding and help us by letting us pay bit by bit

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? No

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM
MammaHutch
1) Do you own or rent? Atm, we live with my mom.

3) Do you bundle all your insurance, like home and auto, with one provider? If not, which providers do you use? Just car insurance atm. Geico.

4) How often do you shop for groceries? Once a month.

5) Do you use cash or checks when making your purchases or do you use a debit card? Debit always. We never have cash on us.

6) How often do you use coupons? Never. lol

7) Do you prefer one grocery store over another? Yes I do. I usually only shop at one, but if I am like super Walmart and I need something I will grab it.

8) Do you accept hand-me-downs for you, your significant other and your kids? Ehh depends on what it is. I have a huge "ick" factor with used things.

9) Do you follow a meal plan? No.

10) What is your monthly food budget? Usually around $250. Nowadays that does even go too far.

11) Do you have cable TV? Yes. But I dont watch it all that much.

12) Do you have internet? Yes.

13) Do you use a bundle package for your tv, internet and phone services? Just internet and cable. Our cell phones are our main phones.

14) How often does your family eat out at restaurants? Like once a month. Its because of money AND because I enjoy cooking.

15) Do you live paycheck to paycheck? Yes, its really hard. Sometimes we will go DAYS and DAYS without money and sometimes we will have to not pay something to pay something else. Its like every month we are playing catch up, it really sucks, and is depressing.

16) Since the "official" word that the country was in a recession, what are some things you've cut drastically back on in your budget? I have always been frugal so nothing.

17) How often do you buy gas for your vehicle(s)? Once a month, because we cant afford it anymore then that. So towards the end of the month we will have no gas in the car sometimes.

18) When making investments into larger items, like TVs, stereos and furnature do you try to compare larger items before making the purchase? Yes, always.

20) Do you have a cellphone or smartphone? Smartphone

21) Do you carry health insurance? Cant afford it.

22) Do you take advantage of state/provincial/county programs like WIC, food stamps, Welfare/Cash Assistance or state run health insurance? Yes, Wic and foodstamps.

23) If you have school age children, do they take a lunch or do they qualify for free lunches at school? Does not apply to me.

24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? We go in to pay them and some online.

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please Yes
April 24th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
1) Do you own or rent? Military housing

2) Do you live in a house, apartment, condo, duplex etc? duplex

We do...we have USAA

About once a week
Debit Card

Just a few each week

I only shop on base

Yes, for the kids mainly

No

About $800....that's for six people and also includes pet supplies, diapers, cleaning supplies, etc. Everything I buy at the grocery store.

No

Yes

We just have internet. It's $70 a month, and the only kind we can get. I think that's a lot.

Maybe once a month for fastfood and every few months for a sit down place

Pretty much

Honestly, our life hasn't changed much. My dh has been in the military the whole time, so his pay has stayed steady. The only issue we've had is that everything keeps going up...food, gas, etc.

About every week and a half...$60

Of course, and we only buy them if needed...as in the old one broke. We buy used a lot too.

A cell phone...not a smart phone. $100 a month for both dh and I together...no home phone.

Yes, thankfully my dh gets it from his job

No we haven't needed that. I'd say we're middle class.

Mine usually take a lunch
24) How do you pay your bills -- When they come in? When they are due? With each paycheck on a schedule? On a schedule and when they are due

25) Are any of your bills done by automatic withdrawal? Yes or No answer only Please. No

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search