What kind of Mom are you?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
After a conversation in chat yesterday, i got to wondering what kind of moms we have here?

Are you more crunchy/AP?
Or are you more chewy/traditional?

This isnt to start a debate, we are all moms doing the best for our kids, its more of a general wondering!

October 12th, 2011, 04:14 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
People call me crunchy all the time and I hate it! I just do what I believe in and what feels right. We don't believe in RIC, we cosleep, breastfeed, cloth diaper, I like to feed my kids as natural and healthy as I can also some organics. I believe in child led weaning, one thing I will not budge on is vaccines though. We vaccinate so that's not really "crunchy" at least people say but my kids health is more important to me so I really don't care what people have to say. We basically just do what works for us and we believe in.

I also do not like spanking or CIO.
October 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, according to that quiz, I was "sprinkled with granola", which I found amusing!

In all seriousness, I lean more toward the traditional style. I wanted to BF but it didn't work out with Leah in the NICU for several days. I used disposable dipes, Leah slept in her crib from day one, we vaccinate on schedule, and we did CIO a few times. I do co-sleep with her when she's sick or when we've visited family and she's apprehensive about her surroundings. And I am child-led when it comes to solid foods, potty training, etc. So, yeah, chewy is probably a good term for me.

October 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupofjoe View Post
People call me crunchy all the time and I hate it! I just do what I believe in and what feels right. We don't believe in RIC, we cosleep, breastfeed, cloth diaper, I like to feed my kids as natural and healthy as I can also some organics. I believe in child led weaning, one thing I will not budge on is vaccines though. We vaccinate so that's not really "crunchy" at least people say but my kids health is more important to me so I really don't care what people have to say. We basically just do what works for us and we believe in.

I also do not like spanking or CIO.
almost exactly.

We have always used disposable diapers, honestly because I didn't think people actually used cloth diapers anymore lol Now that I've done my research I'm pushing for cloth diapering but DH isn't budging on it just yet. We'll see.

We also cosleep, breastfeed with child led weaning, we don't eat nearly as healthily as we should but I do try to keep natural whole ingredients in their diets as much as possible. We also vaccinate. That's very important to me. Although I do do my research on each and every one of those before they give them to them, I've never refused one for my children. We most definitely do not use any form of physical punishment or emotional punishment and also do not do CIO to any extent.

Also, I shave my legs and underarms, wear tampons, and on the occasions I'm going out in public, I wear makeup. lol

October 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwoman View Post
Well, according to that quiz, I was "sprinkled with granola", which I found amusing!

In all seriousness, I lean more toward the traditional style. I wanted to BF but it didn't work out with Leah in the NICU for several days. I used disposable dipes, Leah slept in her crib from day one, we vaccinate on schedule, and we did CIO a few times. I do co-sleep with her when she's sick or when we've visited family and she's apprehensive about her surroundings. And I am child-led when it comes to solid foods, potty training, etc. So, yeah, chewy is probably a good term for me.
This.
(Amanda, I sometimes think we were twins separated at birth. Minus not looking alike).
I tried breastfeeding, Alexis was also in NICU and I had help from 3 people (including a LC) and no one could get her to feed at the boob, despite even grabbing them and placing in her mouth. I had so much help for so many days, until I gave up. I used sposie diapers. We had her in our room sleeping for 6 months, but in a bassinet/swing. I vaccinate (minus flu) on schedule. I, too, was child led with potty training (which is why she trained later than most) and solids, etc. I don't spank.
I'm just me, really. I don't like labels.

October 12th, 2011, 08:57 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I'm probably half and half. I was unable to breastfeed due to a previous breast reduction and I do not co-sleep, but I baby wear, cloth diaper, and do not believe in crying it out. Emily is on a traditional vaccination schedule, but it was because it was required by the day care she was in originally. Since we're planning to home school for a while, I may do a delayed schedule with this next baby and any future children, but I haven't decided yet.

My friend and I have been called hippies so many times by our friends (in joking) that it's become our new inside joke whenever we are discussing non-traditional parenting... As in "Hey, I was looking into a new hippy technique, what do you know about ______" I don't mind the label crunchy or hippy because I figure those labels are given by people who don't care enough to look into what I'm doing, but I think they know my LO is happy. On the other hand, I've had friends who dismissed me as "crunchy" who suddenly come to me when they're pregnant to discuss some of the options. So I guess if it helps them remember who is in which "camp" for future reference, I'm good with that.

October 12th, 2011, 10:26 AM
jbug's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm pretty chewy lol. I did breastfeed both boys for a short time and it didn't work out for me. I use disposable diapers, I co-slept with both boys for a short time, but once they were around 3 months they went to their crib. I vaccinate on schedule. I'm not against CIO, but I'm not a huge fan of it either.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!!
October 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeMadge View Post
This.
(Amanda, I sometimes think we were twins separated at birth. Minus not looking alike).
Seriously!

October 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parenting philosophy and lifestyle has changed drastically since Greyson was a baby. When I had him, I was UBER chewy/mainstream. I didn't breastfeed him, used sposies, he got all his vaccs, he slept in a crib in his own room from day one, etc. Around when he was 5 or so I started to change how I felt on all of it.

Now I would consider myself to be pretty crunchy, except I shave my legs and wear shoes. lol I am strict, but I use gentle non-physical disciple, logical consequences, etc. I have never spanked. We eat healthy (and whole as much as possible), I clean with natural products, I use and make my own cloth pads, etc. If we ever have another baby, I will exclusively breastfeed for 6+ months and do child led weaning. If we would ever be so lucky as to have a 3rd child while I was still bf, I would have no problem with tandem nursing. I also would do cloth diapers, babywear, selective vaccs, make my own baby food or skip baby food altogether, etc, etc.

I have no problem being called crunchy or hippy.

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
October 12th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure, I guess I'm traditional? I formula feed, use sposies, she's slept in her own crib since day one, and sometimes I let her CIO if nothing else is working at bedtime.

October 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I'm pretty crunchy. but imo things like cloth diapers are more of the natural living than attachment parenting.

I'm a breastfeeding, babyled weaning, baby wearing, no cio, gentle disciplining mom.

We dont cosleep, but i'm not apposed to it if its what we all need to get some sleep. I will be room sharing tho. We also vaccinate, but its a little delayed.

October 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i guess im more traditional....personally i hate the "crunchy/chewy" names they gave the parenting styles...it just sounds WEIRD! lol anyways.....

i breastfed all 3 of mine (raianna did have formula and i stopped bfing her around ohh a few months or so) elyse i stopped at 8months thanks to sudafed drying me out....and helena i stopped at like 4/5 months due to EXTREME stress i got all dried up LOL....

we do vaccinate. some are delayed most are on time though
child-led weaning hmm lets see.... with feeding i had no other choice but to formula feed them due to the situations i was in...i pretty much forced the bottle away from elyse cause she started chewing the tips off the nipples...i let them all let me know when they were ready to potty train....i never had to deal with pacifier issues so never had to wean them off of those lol....

i only ever had them in my bed at night when waking up to feed them....i could never sleep with them in my bed fully i was always afraid they'd get squished or smothered by a pillow or blanket or something....nor did i want to allow them being in my bed when they were older...but they were all in my room for a time eithe rin a basinette or a play pen....i did CIO...i do spank when its needed....i was spanked as a child and i turned out just fine...i dont totally hate my parents or feel they abused me or anything....i try to cook healthy but i dont go all out organic....the only child i "wore" was helena....which i hate the term wearing your child too...i carried her in a wrap LOL
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search