Hospital Bag?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 02:55 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
When will you start getting your hospital bag ready?
What kinds of things are your must haves?

Can you tell i'm starting to feel the need to be prepared???

October 17th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a worry-wart naturally. I'm always afraid something is going to come up and I'm not going to be prepared for it so I end up getting things ready way too early lol

As this is baby number 3, I pretty much know now what I do and don't absolutely NEED at the hospital with me. All of those huge lists they give you to "help" honestly make things more difficult for me lol

Plus, when you consider how much stuff you bring, and then how many people come to visit in the hospital and bring something for you and/or baby, you have that much more stuff to take home .. It's just an awful lot of stuff to juggle back home I think.

So. My absolute necessities are..

*For Me*
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Hairbrush
My own shampoo, conditioner, body wash, loofa
Lip balm
Comfy stretchy shorts (for wearing under the hospital gown)
Comfy (but cute) pants and shirt for visitors/pictures/going home
Nursing bra or camisole
Nursing pads
Socks/slippers
My own pads (I HATE theirs. They feel like I'm wearing a diaper!!)
My own granny panties (I can't stand those mesh undies lol)
Snacky foods like trail mix, crackers, etc.
A couple magazines to browse through if I actually do get bored and want to read (this has never happened before, but I can just see me twiddling my thumbs if I don't come prepared)
Phone
Charger
Camera, extra charged batteries
Body pillow (I find these much more comfortable to use than a boppy. I like wrapping them around me in a U (like the boppy) and resting baby and my arms on that.
Comfy warm blanket (Their comical "sheets" and "blankets" don't keep anyone warm.)
Plastic bags for dirty laundry (The ones at the hospital are so thin and tear really easily)

*For Baby*
Cute receiving blankets (the hospitals are just so .. used.. and never super cute)
Warm blanket
Little baby beanie (again, the hospitals are just used and ugly)
Socks
Onesies
Two cute outfits for taking pics and going home
Either the baby book, or a notebook. It's never too early to start writing down everything! It also helps if you don't bring the baby book, to bring a notebook so you can transfer everything later and don't forget any details
And of course, the car seat!

The list always seems long but most of the things I bring are small items. Whew. Now I'm starting to get the urge to start getting everything together, and it's way too early for that still for me! lol

October 17th, 2011, 12:36 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
yep!
I also take:
slippers or super comfy socks since my feet get so cold.
flannel pant and comfy pjs.
lotion
bottled water
(because they give tap water and I'm allergic to some of the stuff in the tap water here. I'm sure there's is well filtered, but I don't need to puke my guts out after recovering from my c-section, learning to breast feed and receiving visitors)

I haven't decided if I'll take my laptop this time of not. Last time I used my phone, but since DH will probably be staying home at night with Em, I may need something to keep me busy!

October 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
ooo bottled water! Great idea!!

I just stuck to sucking on ice chips last time because all they had was tap water and soda. I'm not allergic to anything in the water, I just can't stand the taste of tap water. Yes, I think water has different flavors lol

October 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi View Post

I just stuck to sucking on ice chips last time because all they had was tap water and soda. I'm not allergic to anything in the water, I just can't stand the taste of tap water. Yes, I think water has different flavors lol
I even think bottled water has different flavors. I refuse to drink Nestle bottled water because I think it tastes weird and since I live in Coca Cola Country here, that's usually the option...

October 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
i am not sure..i know i like to have it done by 35 weeks and in the trunk just in case even though none of my kids come early..well stan did by 1 week but that is nothing to extreame.

for my bag i want a good nursing bra in there, some sweats or yoga pants..probably both lol and some loose fitting tank tops that are easy to access the boobs in. also my camera, extra batteries and really thats all i MUST HAVE for myself.

the baby will have one cute outfit for taking pictures in, a coming home outfit, socks, hat, special blanket which i still need to get soon and really thats about it as well. we will use the sposies the hospital provides and then switch to the cloth when we get home.

oh i will also have my phone with me so i can update someone when she gets here to let all the other ladies know..not sure who yet though and some nice comfy socks because i HATE those nasty hospital socks..they are itchy and i freeze in them.
October 18th, 2011, 04:52 AM
MammaHutch
Thank you for the tip! I will for sure bring my own bottled water.

Quote:

I just can't stand the taste of tap water. Yes, I think water has different flavors lol
^ Me too! I think tap water is nasty! I do no drink it, ever. So gross.

I really need to get my hospital bag together, I have been slacking sooo bad.

Thank you for the reminder Robyn!
October 18th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post
I even think bottled water has different flavors. I refuse to drink Nestle bottled water because I think it tastes weird and since I live in Coca Cola Country here, that's usually the option...
OMG!! lol You're the first person I've met that has agreed with me about the Nestle water! It's just GROSS!! It's like you can actually taste them cleaning it, I think! My DH thinks I'm crazy, he thinks all water tastes the same. I like Dasani water the best but our grocery store only sometimes carries it so I usually drink Ozarka.

October 18th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Quote:
OMG!! lol You're the first person I've met that has agreed with me about the Nestle water! It's just GROSS!! It's like you can actually taste them cleaning it, I think! My DH thinks I'm crazy, he thinks all water tastes the same. I like Dasani water the best but our grocery store only sometimes carries it so I usually drink Ozarka.
OMG. I almost wrote that I always prefer Dasani... So funny!

October 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Good tip about the bottled water girls, the water in the labour ward was pretty yuck last time. i had remembered some cordial for my room afterwards!

I forgot that you guys get all you need in hospital. our hospital gives nothing, so i need sheets, blankets, babygros, vests, diapers, wipes, butt cream, everything!!!

I am planning on doing my bag this weekend. I know i still have plenty of time, but i would feel better if things were organised!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search