Adaptations

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2011, 03:24 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
If you see a movie coming out that is based on a book, would you read the book before seeing the movie?
Do feel movies ever do the book justice?
Is there any movie that you thought was just as good as the book?
Which movie do you think was a terrible adaptation?

October 31st, 2011, 05:31 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i really can't think of a single movie that has ever done a book justice....yeah there were some that came close...and were good movies...but never have i ever said that the movie was better than the book.....and i tend to read the books first....though i should watch the movies first that way im not disappointed going into them LOL

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

October 31st, 2011, 05:32 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you see a movie coming out that is based on a book, would you read the book before seeing the movie? Yes! I did that with "The Time Traveler's Wife". Saw the commercials for the movie and that it was based on a book, so I purposely read the book first. So glad I did.
Do feel movies ever do the book justice? Sometimes. Since they have to fit a whole story into a 2-hour movie, I can forgive some shortcuts as long as the essence is there, ya know? But usually, the book is better.
Is there any movie that you thought was just as good as the book? Some of the John Grisham ones, yes. I actually like the ending of the movie for "A Time to Kill" better than the book ending. And I am holding out a LOT of hope for "The Hunger Games"!
Which movie do you think was a terrible adaptation? The Grinch. I much, MUCH prefer the book or even the cartoon. But the movie with Jim Carrey was ridiculous and full of unnecessary nonsense.

October 31st, 2011, 05:36 AM
Quote:
And I am holding out a LOT of hope for "The Hunger Games"!
ohh ME TOO!! that has potential to be an AWESOME movie

i think the worst book to movie adaptation had to be Flowers in the Attic...HORRIBLE!!!!

Kristy, wife to Karl 6.16.01, Mom to Raianna 12.7.00, Elyse 12.3.02 and Helena 7.20.07, step-mom to Frankie 7.3.97 and step-grandma to October 3.9.15

October 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
If you see a movie coming out that is based on a book, would you read the book before seeing the movie? If I have enough warning yes. If not, I'll read it after.

Do feel movies ever do the book justice? they aren't meant to. As the topic says, they are "Adaptataions" which means they are the vision of someone who is not the author of the novel. That doesn't mean I won't complain if something I thought was vital was left out of a movie lol. I believe books, movies, tv are all separate entities and need to be respected as such. UNLESS the author wrote the screenplay, then SHAME ON THEM.

Is there any movie that you thought was just as good as the book? Hmm... That's a good one. Because of my views said above, I don't see them as the same thing.. so a movie and a book can be entirely different and I can love them both on the same level. Drives me friends insane.

Which movie do you think was a terrible adaptation? hmmmm.....

There have been a few movies made about books and I just shake my head. If you have a good book, make a good movie out of it!
When i watched the lifetime movie based on "Plain Truth" by Jodi Piccoult I hadn't seen the title of the movie. I was watching it thinking "this is a crappy story!" Now keep in mind, I'd probably read Plain truth 30x at that point, and I had a very unhappy 2 year old sniffling on my lap at the time so I wasn't paying attention.. but I was outraged when I put two and two together. The movie should have been done for theaters and given some justice, so much was left out that I'll never bother watching it again. But I have read it many many more times

October 31st, 2011, 02:10 PM
If you see a movie coming out that is based on a book, would you read the book before seeing the movie? Only if i actually want to see the movie! but yes, i would read the book first.
Do feel movies ever do the book justice? I cant think of a single one that did the book justice, even the ones whos screen plays were written by the author.
Is there any movie that you thought was just as good as the book? Cant think of one!
Which movie do you think was a terrible adaptation? For me, the biggest disappointment was the Time Travellers Wife. I was so upset over that movie. It didnt capture the essence of the relationship or the struggles. tbh it felt like a bad romcom. just awful. And the lovely bones was dire too. I think peter jackson had far too much money for that movie and just threw in all those special effects for no reason. I thought they were boring and ruined the story.

November 1st, 2011, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
For me, the biggest disappointment was the Time Travellers Wife. I was so upset over that movie. It didnt capture the essence of the relationship or the struggles. tbh it felt like a bad romcom.
I completely agree. The movie didn't have enough time to capture the true chemistry and deep relationship that they had. In a movie, it all felt rushed.

November 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you see a movie coming out that is based on a book, would you read the book before seeing the movie? I've usually already read the book by the time the movie comes out - and like "The Hunger Games" I never even know they're being made into movies! lol (I'm JUST finishing the series now!) But, if I haven't read the book yet and know the movie is coming, then no, I won't. I feel that if the movie is based ON the book then it should give the book what it's due and not be a total flop. So if I see the movie first then at least I have an idea of what's coming in the book and occasionally I determine if I'm even going to read the book on how good or bad the movie was.
Do feel movies ever do the book justice? Rarely, but yes, sometimes.
Is there any movie that you thought was just as good as the book? I'm sure I'm going to be shunned for saying this lol but I honestly felt like the Harry Potter series held to the "flavor" and "feeling" of the books. Of course there were differences and of course things were left out, but honestly, when I read the book I can see the movie in my head and I don't feel like wth is this nonsense?!
Which movie do you think was a terrible adaptation? Eek.. Ok, if that last comment didn't get me shunned this one will haha - Twilight. I am absolutely in love with the series but after seeing the movies .. well .. let's just say I was beyond disappointed. I think they took way too many liberties in Twilight especially - the last few weren't AS BAD but IMO they were nothing to write home about. In fact, I think the only post they even got from me via FB or Twitter was to say how truly disgusted and disappointed I was with it.

November 1st, 2011, 06:27 AM
somo_chickenlady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually prefer to watch the movie first and then read the book, that way I am usually pleasantly surprised. If I do it the other way around, I'm usually disappointed and spend the whole time yelling at the screen that such and such is wrong. LOL

Click on my blinkies!!

**thank you SO much to tasha_mae for my beautiful siggy
and to CupcakeJamie and Niamh ૐ for my blinkies!!**
November 1st, 2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngwoman View Post
I completely agree. The movie didn't have enough time to capture the true chemistry and deep relationship that they had. In a movie, it all felt rushed.
I agree it was rushed. I know there was an entire lifetime to span, but i felt that they didnt even try to capture the love they had. When i read the book, I almost FELT the love they had for each other. but in the movie, i really didnt care. Even at THE ending (dont want to spell it out, but you know what i mean!), i wasnt even that upset, but in the book, i was crying about it for days!

November 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
YES!!! That is exactly how I felt, Robyn. The book was one of those that stayed with me for days/weeks afterward and I was so completely moved by their story. But the movie? Eh.

November 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love to read, but I avoid seeing movie adaptations of books I loved. It always seems to ruin things for me.
November 1st, 2011, 04:03 PM
im glad i watched the Time Travellers Wife before i read the book...i haven't read it yet so i thought the movie was awesome and cried like a little baby.....i do need to read the book though!

November 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
im glad i watched the Time Travellers Wife before i read the book...i haven't read it yet so i thought the movie was awesome and cried like a little baby.....i do need to read the book though!
the movie was pure trash compared to the book. you are in for a mega treat with the book if you thought the movie was good!!!! I'm kinda jealous that you get to read it for the first time! even my husband read it and LOVED it.

Tags
monday , qotd

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search