Sttn

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3OhioBoys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Do you think that babies who sleep through the night are just luck, or do you think that its a matter of something the parent has done, eg good habits, routine, etc?

Background on this topic is that both my sons are good sleepers at night (thank heavens!!!) jake slept through the night (8+hours) from 5 weeks, harry from 7 weeks. Everyone asks me what have i done to make them do that. They seem shocked that i havent added anything to their bottle, i dont keep them awake all day, i dont dose them with antihistamines (yes this has been suggested) and I dont leave them to cry. If they wake, I feed/comfort them etc, whatever they need.
On the other hand, i do stick to a fairly consistant routine during the day (give or take half an hour here or there!) and our days are pretty much the same week in, week out. Bedtime is always the same time, and i allow my children to sleep wherever they are comfortable, which means that harry is in a pram type bassinett and not his crib.

So with all that, is it luck? Or is there some parenting trick to having a child sleep through the night?

February 26th, 2012, 01:11 PM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is both luck and parenting. Some children are just higher need than others and wake at night to get affection. But I do think babies need time to make noises and squirm w/o a parent running in to gt them.
DeepSouthMommy likes this.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
February 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i think its all luck honestly.....both raianna and elyse slept through the night since the day they were born....even in the hospital all 5 days teh nurses always asked me if i wanted them to wake up to feed during the night i said NO!!! LOL let them sleep....helena on the other hand...i did nothing differently with her than i did with the other 2 and she did NOT sleep through the night....i dont think she started sleeping through the night til she was about a year old

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

February 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
A bit of luck and a bit of just the baby...I dont think parenting has much to do with it really.
I know very few parents who did a sleep schedule with newborns that actually panned out for them.

All of my sons slept through the night before 2 mths old and it had nothing to do with anything I did per se...just dumb luck and how they are(perhaps genetics is the best term here).

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
February 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it's luck. Jackson slept through the night from 5 days old onward. I had no idea what I was doing right, he just slept. I count myself very fortunate, haha.

February 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
luck!! we bust our arse to keep everything strict routine and tristan does great but raleigh has horrible sleep problems.
February 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM
jbug's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say luck too. Caleb has always been a good sleeper and Tyson is a year old and still does not sttn consistently. I didn't do anything different with them, Tyson is just a high needs baby and has been from day one.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!!
February 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
luck, Audrey slept the the night from 2 months on, only time I had to do the CIO was to get her to put herself to sleep... without having to get her to sleep on my chest then move her to the crib.

February 26th, 2012, 08:10 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
If it's parenting, then I have no idea what I've done. Both of my girls have needed to be woken to eat as infants. Otherwise, they would sleep too long between feedings. This is good for me because I really love my sleep.

February 27th, 2012, 01:33 AM
LindsayMom09
Definitely luck! Harvey slept through the night from 2 months old right up to 16 months, and from them on, I have no idea what it was, but he has been a terrible sleeper ever since! We have still kept to same routine, done everything the same, but he still wakes during the night wanting a little soothing from his mama. I don't exactly mind, but it sure would be nice for him to sleep a whole night sometime soon. I have a hard time believing those mama's who say that that it is all down to routine because of my experience. My SIL maintains our sleeping issues are all my own fault because her daughter is a fantastic sleeper, but her daughter and my son are two completely different people, and I think she just got luckier where sleeping is concerned. At least that's just my opinion anyway
February 27th, 2012, 03:20 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I think its totally luck too. Both my boys dont/didnt like to sleep during the day. Jake was about 9 months old before he napped in the daytime. Harry is slightly better, he will have 20 mins here and there, but they both love to sleep at night.

I didnt do anything in particular, its just the way they both are. We had our rough nights with jake when he was teething, and i'm sure harry will be the same, but on the whole its purely down to their needs.

I understand that people whos baby doesnt sleep must think that there is some magic secret that i'm holding out on sharing, but at the same time, i dont like people thinking that i force my babies to sleep. Some moms have hinted that i just leave them to cry and that they dont actually sleep all night, i just dont go to them. I really dont like that, and while i know that in a sleep deprived state you think all sorts, but its just not true!

February 27th, 2012, 05:15 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's luck and/or the personality of the child. Leah is a great sleeper once she's down, but ever since she was an infant, she has fought actually going to sleep. She slept through the night from 4 mos old to 10 mos old and then all of a sudden, she was waking again for another 1-2 mos. Nothing in our schedule changed, so I don't believe it was anything we did or didn't do.

February 27th, 2012, 05:36 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I think ts part luck, and part personality of the child. Not so much parenting. Alexis slept through at 6 weeks old, but I wasn doing much to help her get that way that young. She wasn't really on a schedule or anything, she kinda fell into her own. I think some kids are good sleepers, and some are not.

February 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I agree with all of you ladies. Avery is 6 months old and is nowhere near sleeping though the night. In fact, I have just gotten though 8 nights in a row of her waking every hour. Last night thankfully she did two 3 hour stretches (and then a bunch of shorter stretches towards morning).

I have tried everything, short of letting her CIO because I don't believe in that. I think it is a developmental milestone, and all babies reach it at a different time, depending on if they co-sleep, sleep in their crib, are formula fed, breastfed, etc. So many variables.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 28th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say luck!! Conner didn't sleep through the night until he was about a year and a half...Colin did much earlier. Unfortunately I don't remember the age because I'm scatter brained! LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search