Sugar-Free

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By *Kiliki*
  • 6 Post By TheOnlyPink
  • 1 Post By MammaHutch

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you more likely to allow your children snacks if they're sugar-free?

Do/would you place the same limit of "only X amount" on sugar-free snacks as you would sugary ones?

February 28th, 2012, 07:37 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
not really....im not a big sugar nut....but i do rather they have a healthy snack like fruit or something before they have something like say a cookie or candy
Buggymom likes this.
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

February 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For the most part, we go with the "moderation" rule. DD almost never has "dessert", and when she does it's a few Nilla Wafers. Idk if that will change once DD is older and able to beg for the sugary snacks.
February 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I'm actually less likely to allow jake something that is "sugar free" because it is sweetened with an artificial sweetner, and imo, not enough is known about the effects of these things, and I cant eat anything with aspartame in it cos it triggers migraine for me. So i wont allow jake to eat those things. Rather the devil i know, sugar has been around for thousands of years and we know the effects.

I dont limit treats a huge amount, my opinion is that a bit of candy or junk wont hurt AS LONG AS healthy food makes up the bulk of every meal. A mcdonalds happy meal with coke on a saturday afternoon isnt a big deal for me because i know the rest of the week is made up of plenty of fresh homemade food.
So if meals arent eaten, and he is looking for junk for every snack, thats a no no, but a piece after dinner or something, then fine by me!

February 28th, 2012, 09:28 AM
MammaHutch
I agree with Robyn. Sugar free actually has far worse things in it vs actual sugar.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
February 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto pretty much everything Robyn said!

I am not fond of artificial sweeteners. As long as Leah eats her meals and the majority of her food intake is healthy, I don't mind her having sweet snacks.

February 28th, 2012, 09:40 AM
MammaHutch
^^

Its actually healthier to have some real sugar.
February 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
most of the snacks we buy are sugar free.
February 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Robyn as well. He eats healthy more often than not, so a treat once in awhile is fine.

February 28th, 2012, 04:16 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Well said Robyn! I agree! I do plan, however, to limit sugary snacks period, perhaps only a treat once per week or something and instead allow my children to snack on fruits and veggies. Likely easier said than done though!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
February 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
jbug's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ditto Robyn 100%. I am not a fan of sugar free stuff. We stick to the real deal here lol. I don't mind my kids having candy and sweets as a treat if they eat their meals.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy!!
February 28th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
well let me jump on the band wagon...I ditto Robyn completely

February 29th, 2012, 08:31 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I ditto Robyn, but less because of the artificial sweeteners and more because of the fact that those foods are more processed and I try to focus my family's nutrition more on whole foods. There was recently a study that showed that some artificial sweeteners trick your body into producing insulin because it thinks that you've ingested sugar and can lead to low blood sugar when eaten in large quantities. Also, people who regularly eat artificial sweeteners tend to be heavier and have a higher chance of being prediabetic. Sugar free foods tend to be higher in fat and other things that we should be aware of so they aren't all that healthy.

Medscape: Medscape Access

February 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto the Robyn wagon too!

My mom knows that if the choices are sugar free/diet and regular sugar, sugar wins every time.

HFCS is a huge thing for me, so if the kids want soda, I get them sierra mist. It is made with all natural ingredients and sugar.

We are everything in moderation people and I believe that if you teach your kids that, they are healthier than keeping them away from sugar. My DD knows I am picky about what I feed them most of the time, but I let them have treats, etc like other kids.

She asks me why I don't send her "bug juice" (colored sugar water like koolaid) for lunch like other kids at her school. I told her that it is not very healthy and that is a treat for home or when we do something and not appropiate for her lunch at school.

I could go on for days about sugar/diet/HFCS.....

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search