Lent

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheOnlyPink

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Did you give up anything for Lent?

February 29th, 2012, 12:54 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
No, i've never given up anything for lent. I have quite strong feelings on this. I have no issue with an adult doing it, thats their choice, but here, alot of children are forced to give things up and imo thats so wrong. they dont understand why they are doing it, they are just being told thats the thing to do.
My husband was forced to give up sweets every year. But his birthday falls during lent, and he was never able to have a party or do normal kid things, because he wasnt allowed sweets and cake.

Sorry, had a bit of a rant about it, but its been bugging me for over a week now!

February 29th, 2012, 03:50 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope, I am an atheist so I don't do anything like that.

February 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMySonshine View Post
Nope, I am an atheist so I don't do anything like that.

ditto

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

February 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm agnostic, so I don't observe Lent either.

February 29th, 2012, 05:53 AM
LoriLou35's Avatar Veteran
Well, I guess I may be the only practicing Catholic here! lol. I gave up Facebook for Lent. I also fast on Friday rather than just not eat meat, and I go to one extra mass in the middle of the week.

February 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I swear I posted a response to this, but I guess it got eaten by the interwebz. This is my first year observing Lent since I'm currently in the conversion process. I have chosen to give up soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2J View Post
No, i've never given up anything for lent. I have quite strong feelings on this. I have no issue with an adult doing it, thats their choice, but here, alot of children are forced to give things up and imo thats so wrong. they dont understand why they are doing it, they are just being told thats the thing to do.
My husband was forced to give up sweets every year. But his birthday falls during lent, and he was never able to have a party or do normal kid things, because he wasnt allowed sweets and cake.
Aww. That's horrible for your husband and for those kids who have been required to give up things without fully understanding.

My church suggests that children be told about lent for several years as they're growing up before they participate in it. Many of the families don't require their children to participate until they are close to confirmation age.

February 29th, 2012, 06:59 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by feythful View Post
My church suggests that children be told about lent for several years as they're growing up before they participate in it. Many of the families don't require their children to participate until they are close to confirmation age.
I think by confirmation age they fully understand what they are doing and the reasons for it, but 4,5 and 6 year olds havent a clue! they are just being told what to do, and the stock response is "no sweets for lent" they dont even know what that means! and whats worse is the church is telling the parents to do this. Well, mine anyway, but we have the most old fashioned priest in the country. I thought alot of his thoughts went out with the famine!
Sorry hun, i know you are in the middle of converting to Catholicism, and tbh i think if i didnt live in a Catholic country i would be a much better Catholic!
feythful likes this.

February 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never given up anything for Lent....I'm not catholic. But I know several people who give up things for Lent, that are not catholic???

February 29th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am agnostic also, so I do not observe.

My DHs family is catholic and when my SIL asked what we were giving up, I had my answer: SEX!!! lol Having a baby kinda forces you into that.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

February 29th, 2012, 02:33 PM
LindsayMom09
I am not Catholic, so I don't give up anything. I do also know some non-Catholics who do give things up for lent though, but I think it's for the novelty of it than anything else really. I don't think you necessarily have to be a Catholic in order to give anything up, I just choose not to. When I was a child I tried to give up candy and such but failed every time

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search