So frustrated!

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
LindsayMom09
I never knew how confusing the pre-school/playgroup/nursery thing is until NOW! I really have no idea what to do :-/

When I was a child I went to nursery, and then into primary school - primary 1. It seems like that has changed now and my son has to go to playgroup, then nursery, then primary school. It is so confusing!!!

Maybe you can help me out Robyn? Did Jake go to playgroup/pre-school?
March 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Jake is in preschool atm. We get a free preschool year for children between 3 years and 3 months and 4 years and 6 months.
Jake started in january 2010. He wasnt toilet trained in the september, so they wouldnt take him. From jan-june, he went 2 days a week, for a 3 hour session. then in september 2011 he started his free preschool year. he goes 5 days a week for a 3 hour session.

He will be 5 in august, so he will be starting school in september of this year, in what i think you guys call reception.

I know things are a bit different for you guys, you get 15 hours free nursery time? but i'm not sure what the difference between nursery and preschool is. Here, nursery is like a creche and prescchool is really a "pre-school" type session, they learn letters, numbers, how to put up their hand before speaking, sitting at a desk for a period of time and its very structured. But they prefer to take children to this for the year before they start school, so from 3-4 or 4-5 depending on when the child will start primary school. I send jake early cos he wasnt starting till he was 5, and was going demented at home with boredom.

I agree, its very confusing! I highly recommend preschool, but i think harvey is much too young for it right now. good luck!

March 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
we dont HAVE to do pre-school here before they go to kindergarten....as long as they know certain things they are able to go
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 6th, 2012, 10:12 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
This is like a foreign language to me, lol!
My daughter is 5 (um well 6 in a few days) and had NO schooling before this year (which is Kindergarten here).

It always amazes me how different schooling is around the world. And I know this, because my husband and I (he's from Holland) have constant discussions on school, because he gets sooooo confused on the system here and what comes next. It was TOTALLY different where hes from.

March 6th, 2012, 10:22 AM
LindsayMom09
Thank you both!

I'm still confused about "playgroup" though. My SIL keeps asking "what playgroup are you sending Harvey to? Your gonna have to look about it soon" and I'm like "huh?? playgroup??" :-/ I just don't understand, and ringing around a few places today doesn't give me much more insight.

From what I can gather is that playgroup isn't mandatory, as in, he doesn't HAVE to go. But nursery is necessary and he doesn't start until he's 3-4, depending on when his birthday is.

I know if I don't send him to "playgroup" though I will never heard the end of it from my fiance's side of the family. I just don't even know when or how to apply or anything Why can't these kinds of things just do themselves!

^ yeah Erika, that's totally our problem too. I have no idea how where I live at the moment works because I'm originally from another town. Ugh!

I think my best bet would be to maybe go ask my neighbour when she comes home from work. Her daughter is the same age is my son so I'll see what she is doing and maybe decide from there. It's all so very confusing though and all these "terms" don't make it any easier!

Last edited by LindsayMom09; March 6th, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
March 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am glad we have several UK mommies... cause like Erika, I have no idea!

Forever remembering your smiling face.
March 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayMom09 View Post
I never knew how confusing the pre-school/playgroup/nursery thing is until NOW! I really have no idea what to do :-/

When I was a child I went to nursery, and then into primary school - primary 1. It seems like that has changed now and my son has to go to playgroup, then nursery, then primary school. It is so confusing!!!

Maybe you can help me out Robyn? Did Jake go to playgroup/pre-school?
Hi there! My name is Parisa. I am an Early Childhood Educator (preschool teacher).
I was going to say that preschool is not a must for children....some kids just start with kindergaden.
Keep in mind that these children that start at kindergarden and they skip preschool, are the kids who know enough. If you work with them at home.....reading, alphabet, numbers, writing their names....ets.....then they should be fine. Once children start kindergarden, they are expected to know some things already. I also work as a Montessori kindergarden teacher....
And if they don't, they will strugle already. What u can do if u dont want to send ur child to preschool, is to work with them at home.
However, preschool can really have a great impact for a young child. They get to be familiar with rules, they socialize, they play, learn adn enjoy themselves. This will give them great confidence. Trust me when I tell u that most kids look forward to coming to preschool and playing with their friends. They get to sing songs, read books, do arts and crafts. And for the children who don't have any brothers and sisters, they love to play and socialize with other kids. Preschool alos establishes an independence for these children. They will feel like a 'big kid'. Also, if they go to preschool, they get ready to be away from mommy, so kindergarden won't be too hard for them. They won't suffer from separation anxiety. I am sorry that I had but in here, but I just wanted to let u know!
March 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
My daughter started nursery (charity run but located at the school) in Sept 2011. She turned 3 in Nov 2011 and goes 4 mornings a week. We had to pay until the term after she was 3 but now it's funded by the government. In Sept she will start preschool and have to wear a little uniform . Hope this helps. Just call the local school and see if they have anything he can go to now. They may have a waiting list though. We were on the waiting list for 9 months.
March 11th, 2012, 04:44 AM
LindsayMom09
Thank you all

We have decided to just send him to nursery, then on to Primary School. I have put his name down for a few places so for now it's just a waiting game to see which gets back to us.
March 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
All of this made my eyes cross and my brain a jumbled mess. Glad you got some answers Lindsay!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search