To Clever To Stay Home?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Amaranth Dhanya

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2012, 01:14 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Can a woman be too clever to be a stay-at-home mum? | Mail Online

The Danish Prime Minister recently said that british women were "‘wasting’ their top degrees from ‘fancy universities’ to devote their best years to child-rearing." <- quoted from the article, not the prime minister!

The article basically raises the question, that if a woman goes to university and gets a good degree, is that education then wasted because the mother is at home raising children?
Do you believe in the philosophy that you "educate the mother, then you educate the child?"
Do you think that your job as a sahm is seen as too mundane to be worthwhile?
Do you feel that any education you had is a bonus to you while raising your children?
Does the statement that women who are educated wasted at home make you angry?

Last edited by TheOnlyPink; March 15th, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
March 15th, 2012, 05:24 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i think the woman can choose what she wants to do....it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks shes wasting her degree.....if she feels its worth it then it is....period.

being a sahm is ANYTHING BUT mundane!!! and i do think education is a bonus when raising your kids...because we are our childrens first teachers....and we can teach them anything we know...specially for the mothers that decide to homeschool...i can see how that will come in handy
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 15th, 2012, 05:44 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't believe any education is wasted. And here's the thing - when I became a SAHM, I think someone in my family asked me about this very topic (I have a Master's degree and worked for a short time as a school counselor). I remember saying, "I will always have my degree. I won't always have Leah to raise." These are precious years and I'm thankful to be in a position where I can stay home. A career is secondary to me and I have plenty of years ahead where I can work, if I choose to.

And now, since I've decided to homeschool, I definitely won't be "wasting" my degree! I will hopefully be able to use a lot of what I learned. Not to mention, being a parent (stay at home or not) is seriously the MOST important and worthwhile job we'll ever do!

March 15th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Education is never wasted. Even if a woman has a degree and decides to utilize it after kids are in school or out of the home...its still there and she still earned it.

Does that statment make me angry...nah just giggle that people are still so blind to the "okness" of people making their own choices in life where their kids are concerned.

I think education helps and perhaps as kids are in their teen years they see that its helpful but I dont think they really care what kind of education their parents have until that point anyway...if they ever do LOL.
I also think you can be the most educated person in the world and still suck at being a parent simply because its a different dynamic than being out in the business world or education world.
You are raising another human being...that falls under a completely different category than anything else and should be taken as such.

Is my job as a sahm mundane or do I see it that way?

Ya sometimes it is mundane. Somedays I wonder why Im even here bothering. Somedays Im bored to tears. But that doesnt make it unimportant or a waste of time or anything else. Its just as important as a doctors job or a customer service clerks job or all the other jobs out there.
SAHM's serve a purpose...we raise the next generation to be doctors and clerks and such. We raise the next generation to, hopefully, be smarter and better than we were...even if only by a little bit.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
The article basically raises the question, that if a woman goes to university and gets a good degree, is that education then wasted because the mother is at home raising children? No, it is not wasted. The process of getting a degree teaches the mother a lot more than academics. She can use her life skills to help her as a mother, and like others have said- her educaiton is always there
Do you believe in the philosophy that you "educate the mother, then you educate the child?" Sure!
Do you think that your job as a sahm is seen as too mundane to be worthwhile? By some people- yes. By me? No.
Do you feel that any education you had is a bonus to you while raising your children? I think that it will come in handy (psychology) when my kids are a bit older- like tweens and teens
Does the statement that women who are educated wasted at home make you angry? Yes! I think there is no job more important than raising your children to be compassionate, contributing members of society

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search