Weaning to solids

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheOnlyPink

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 15th, 2012, 01:24 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
When did you start to wean your child/ren?
Did you come across any negative views on the time frame, ie much too late, much too early?
What was your childs first food?

Last edited by TheOnlyPink; March 15th, 2012 at 07:21 AM. Reason: To make the title more clear!
March 15th, 2012, 05:20 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
it was different for all 3 and all 3 different situations....with raianna it was choice....she was just eating ALL THE TIME....i mean literally she was nursing every 10-15mins....i was so exhausted with it....thank GOODNESS she slept through the night i dont think i would have survived those first few weeks otherwise haha....but she was about 6 weeks old when i started giving her formula....i was also pumping to do both....it took her a while to actually take the bottle but when she finally did life got SO much better....i didnt get any negative comments or anything like that

elyse was much different.....the nursing went so smoothly with her....but my milk ended up drying up because i took sudafed....i was so upset....i think she was about 4 or 5 months old at that time....i wanted to nurse her to a year but didn't make it....she was easy to give a bottle to though as long as she had food she didnt care what form it came in haha

helena again my milk dried up.....around 8 months old....i was under SEVERE stress....dropped like 30+lbs in 3 weeks....yeah and my milk went with that.....i was SOOO upset....over that and over the entire situation....it was awful....i was a big mess anyhow so that just made everything 10x worse
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 15th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With DS#1, I was an exclusive pumper. I quit when he was 4 months old. I have gotten nothing but praise for making it that long. I had hoped to make it to 6 months, but pumping and work and PTSD about him almost dying at birth was just not a good combo for me. We tried rice cereal first with him at 4 months, but he didn't tolerate it. So we tried again at 6 months and started with sweet potato puree.
Lew and I are still going strong at 7 months. So strong that he doesn't even want any other food. I have tried purees and real foods, but he isn't interested. My goal is to make it to a year and see what happens from there.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 15th, 2012, 07:20 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I think weaning might have a different meaning here! i ment when did you start solids!
3OhioBoys likes this.

March 15th, 2012, 07:58 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think they all started solids around 6 months, just a little little bit. By 12 months Nathan was still on full baby food, Jakob was full table food, and Grayson was a little of both. I think it varies for each child.

First foods were usually fruits... even though DR's say to start w/ veggies. And I usually mixed in a little cereal to thicken it up.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
March 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
hahaha well weaning to solids buwahaha okay yeah all my kids started eating solids around 3-4 months a mix of table food and baby food (although i did put a little bit of cereal in rai's bottle at 6 weeks)i got a lot of crazy stares for that one....but it worked for us....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Started them at 4 mths with rice cereal than oatmeal after a week.
First foods were grouped by color...starting with white so applesauce or pears first.

They all took to the foods differently. My oldest did the traditional and had no issues and we did table foods at a year.

DS2 did about the same only he was pickier with what he'd eat and he wouldnt give up the bottle til he was 19 mths old. So he was still drinking from that until then but was on table foods.

DS3 wouldnt even touch cereal til he was nearly a year. He finally just went straight from the occasional cereal with applesauce and bottle of milk to table foods and drinking from a cup at one year. Seriously, every baby food I tried he hated and spat back at me LOL and he would only take milk. My mom feared he'd get scurvy cuz that was all he'd take but I couldnt force feed him...it came back at me one way or the other whenever I tried LOL.

But at one year...off bottle and on cup and on to table food without a hitch and he's been my little piglet ever since.

ETA~as for reactions from others...I got a few naysayers and people who gritched that I was evil for starting them so soon cuz recent research says 6 mths to start and blah blah blah. I didnt let that sway my doings and my kids are just fine.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jackson had rice cereal at 4 months. People told me it was early, but he was downing a full 8oz bottle, and at least half of another one every feeding. That boy could eat! I started introducing the jarred baby foods between 5 and 6 months. Started with sweet potatoes, then a week later or so, a fruit, and so on. He did really well, and was eating table foods no problem by a year.

March 16th, 2012, 08:37 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
We started avery on food around 5.5 months. We are doing baby led weaning-so no purees. Baby self feeds from the start and it has been going well. She loves chicken!! She also tends to eat more when we help her eat off of our own plates. We are pretty carefull with what we give her though, mostly soft, steamed veggies or chunks of ripe fruit.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search