Self help

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lnj5duke

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Have you ever read a "self help" book?
Did it actually help?
Would you consider buying a book on a topic you were having problems with?

March 22nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought one recently called 'Raising Boys in a New Kind of World'. It hasn't arrived yet, but I guess it's more a parenting book. I have thought of it, and I probably would read one if I thought it might offer some help in ways that I hadn't already thought of.

March 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been reading a book about step mothers, its made me realize I shouldn't feel guilty that I don't love my stepkids like my daughter

March 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, i've never read any self help books....

March 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, although I'm not sure where "self-help" ends and "psychology" begins, lol. I like to read lots of different parenting books, even if I don't necessarily agree with an ideology. Each book gives me new tools that I can put to use if the need arises.

I did the same thing with teaching/education books, since I was a teacher. I read a lot of books about classroom discipline and different techniques. It's really the only kind of nonfiction that I'm into; I don't really like history books and stuff...
TheOnlyPink likes this.
March 22nd, 2012, 02:38 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I read a ton of parenting books. Even if i dont agree with it, i read it in case there is something that i might be able to use.

I read a few books about food issues and tried to solve them myself, but i am starting to think i have deep issues around it and maybe need to see a professional.

March 22nd, 2012, 04:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What kind of food issues?
March 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM
mom2xander's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2xander Send a message via Yahoo to mom2xander Send a message via Skype™ to mom2xander
My mom tried giving me books on physical abuse in high school (my dad was abusive), but most of it didn't help. I think the only way to work through person serious issues (aside from counseling) is to work through the issues, face them, and move on.

As far as smaller issues, I've read books on nutrition, exercise, and study skills and most have been very helpful.

March 22nd, 2012, 11:44 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I can't recall ever buying or using any self help books!

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

March 23rd, 2012, 11:37 PM
There are so many self help books out there. It won't be unusual for an individual to feel overwhelmed. I've always read books recommended to me by friends and families. If I've found one that's effective I would buy a book by the same author. I make it a point to read one every month. Some of them I've read twice. You need that regularly dose of personal development. It doesn't stop until you're in a coffin!

Some of my best reads are:
21 Ways of Finding Peace & Happiness by Joyce Meyer
Today Matters by John C Maxwell
The Choice by Nicole Cary
The Magic of Thinking Big by David Schwartz

There is no harm, in reading self help book.

At the end of the day, you have the power to make the decision to whether use the techniques or not.
March 24th, 2012, 10:59 AM
MammaHutch
Have you ever read a "self help" book? Yes I have
Did it actually help? No. It honestly told me everything I already knew, I just have to act on it.
Would you consider buying a book on a topic you were having problems with? Not anymore

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search