How did you decide to be a SAHM?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MammaHutch
  • 1 Post By acupofjoe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
kazarmo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won’t go into too much detail but I’m in the debate right now. I feel like we should build our nest egg first before I make this move. Any tips, pointers, how did you tell your work? Especially if you love your company and your job, the money is great as well as the benefits? I love details so the more you give the more I will enjoy reading.

~~~~~~~~~~~
dd15 born weighing 6 pds 2 ounces, 19 inches. 12-3-96
dsd12
dsd10
dd9 months born weighing 6 pds 5 ounces, 19 1/2 inches. 12-22-2011
Expecting baby #3 ANOTHER GIRL!!!!!!! woot woot

March 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Hi! great to see you here!

I'm a sahm because i cant afford childcare, pure and simple! i got pregnant with jake while I was still in college. I had 2 years left of my degree. Dh was a few months off graduating, so he got a good job right away.
If i went back to work, my salary wouldnt cover the cost of daycare, which on average is about €900 a month. So we would be dipping into dh salary to cover childcare. and thats with only one child. for both our boys it would be €1400 a month! our mortgage is more than half that!

That prob doesnt help much cos i didnt give up a job, but any more questions, please feel free!!!

March 23rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
It sort of just happened. At the moment the SO is out of work, but he goes back in a few weeks I hope! I wouldn't mind getting a part time job, but I'm pretty sure all of that pay would go to child care as the SO works full time (when his job isn't away!).

Sorry I'm not any help! But glad to see you over here!!

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

March 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
luv2bemommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just knew I'd be a SAHM, even before we ever got pregnant. It was part of our plan. I have had to go to work a few times based on our financial need but I always come back to being a SAHM. We can't afford child care, even if I work and my MIL is no longer able to watch the kids so I don't think I'll be going back to work again.
March 23rd, 2012, 07:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't go back to work after my daughter was born because I was only working to cover utilities and the cost of daycare would be more than what I made. its cheaper for me to stay home.

March 23rd, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We agreed long ago that I would be a SAHM. I switched from full- to part-time teaching the year DD was born, so we only had her in daycare half-day while I finished out the school year. Even so, the cost of daycare plus the taxes that were taken out of my paycheck left us with just a little bit extra. Yes, the extra was nice for helping to build our emergency fund, but it wasn't worth it. I was not really satisfied with EITHER of my jobs (mommy and teacher), because I felt like I was always short-changing one or the other... and this was while I was working part-time!

As a SAHM, there are also more ways to save money by spending time, if you know what I mean. We save a lot because I plan meals, use coupons, and really focus on our budget more, since I have the time to sit down and look at it frequently.
March 23rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
MammaHutch
Before DH and I ttc we always knew I would be a SAHM. We are a very old fashioned family. DH believes the wife should stay home. Sorry I am no help!
lnj5duke likes this.
March 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I lost my job and we were doing fine on one income and Morgan doesnt really like other people watching the kids so he wants me home with them.
MammaHutch likes this.
March 24th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
We discussed it a bit here and there during the first part of my pregnancy.
Then we did the figures about 4-5 times during the middle of my pregnancy and it always came out the same....better I stay home.

See, all my income aside from about $50 would go to daycare and as we planned on having more than one child that daycare cost would simply rise to the point of taking more money out of our pockets.

So the smarter thing to do was for me to stay home. My husband made a lot more than me and we'd be totally fine on just the one income. We arent lavish people, we like being comfortable and so we werent worried about missing out on vacations or mani/pedi's or a brand new super car or anything else some people worry about losing going down to one income.

I was at a temp job by the time I was in my last two months and I enjoyed it but had to give it up due to pregnancy complications. Id have been sad giving up a job I liked but Id have done what was best for my family with no regrets.

So it boiled down, for us, to my not being able to really help financially anyway cuz my money wouldnt have gone into the household needs just daycare. So we decided my contribution to our home was best put to use by raising our kids to be the best they could be as well as keeping the errands ran, food tended to, and house decent.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't go back to work because I would have been working to pay for daycare with nothing left over. We figured it wouldn't be worth it. It was the best decision!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search