Carry a Card

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2012, 06:48 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Do you carry an organ donor card?
Have you discussed organ donation with your dh/so?

March 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
no i dont....and no we haven't really talked about that....we should though....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 26th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh and I both are. We both feel very strongly that once we are dead we no longer need our bodies...Might as well help someone who can make use of the pieces!
3OhioBoys likes this.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4
March 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
MammaHutch
No neother of us do and this is something we have talked about like once. I am scared to donate myself after I am dead, how crazy is that? For some reason, I have this thought in my head that if I am in a wreck or something and I might die they wont try to save me as much as someone that is not a donor.
March 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i kinda have that fear too Jess....lol....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
no, but I have told DH I want to donate, my dad had 3 transplants and they made him live a lot longer than he would have, even if his kidneys did fail twice, I've seen first hand the struggles someone on the wait list goes through, I'll be dead, why not save someone else?!
3OhioBoys likes this.

March 26th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
No to donor cards...for either of us.
Not something I care to do even tho I know I dont take it with me(so to speak) I dont want to donate, I know my body and know there isnt much that will be of use once Im gone. the end...

As for DH...he has cancer so he isnt really a good candidate so isnt gonna do it either.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 26th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a separate card, but my driver's license says I'm a donor. DH's does, too.

I will say, I don't really worry about the doctors not trying as hard to save me in the ER. My thought is that the trauma docs are different from the transplant docs, and I think they like to brag to their friends about how they brought someone back from the brink, rather than hooking up their transplant friends with some organs .
March 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I am not. Morgan is..he has tried to talk me into it many times and i know it really doesnt matter when i am gone but he will never change my mind. I hope that doesnt offend anyone i just cant do it.
Amaranth Dhanya likes this.
March 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
I've only really thought about it when going for my drivers license. That is the only time they really ask you. I guess in case of car accident? No idea.. anyway, back when I got my license (age 17) I chose not to be a donor..

I think I'd want to leave it for my family to decide after I had passed..

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

March 27th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am.

And legally, they have take ever possible way to save you before they can pronounce you dead. They probably do not even know if your a donor or not until they see your DL, card or talk to your family. They are not worried about your organs, they are worried about your life. Once you die/prounced dead, they will keep you on life support until your family makes the decision, which is why people need to write it in a will and have their spouse as the decision maker (the word is escaping me now).

Legally, whether or not your are/are not an organ donor, your family makes the decision unless you have a notorized will/living will that specifically expresses your wishes. That card is glorified TP.

LOL can you tell I want to be a lawyer?

I would donate my children's organs if something happened to them. When I lost Dominic, I tried to donate his organs, but they did not know how long he was dead so they couldn't. Six days later an aquantinace gave birth to a beautiful little boy. Baby boy had a defective heart valve. Without a new one, baby boy was going to die a long slow death. The poor mother had to sit in her hospital wondering if another child was going to die to save her son. He got a new heart valve and he is a happy little 4 yr old now. He will need 2 more valves in his life as he grows. 3 people are going to have to die for him to live. I don't understand NOT donating your organs. You can save multiple people and do something great in your death.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

March 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No...we don't do donor cards.

March 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Leann, all your points are the reason why I feel so strongly about being an organ donor. I have told my husband and my parents that i really want anything that can be used to be given away.
My husband says he doesnt really care if he is an organ donor or not, so i told him that if anything does happen him (god forbid) I will request that his organs are donated. The same goes for my children. I really think that knowing my loss has allowed someone else to live would help ease the pain.

While i do feel strongly about organ donation for my family, I can also see the other side to it too, and understand why someone would chose not to donate.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

March 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm an organ donor, but I don't carry a certain card. It has a little heart on my drivers license that indicates I'm a donor. I'm not doing anything with my organs after I die, so what do I need them for??
3OhioBoys and Fluffy Baby like this.

March 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
For people that will not donate your organs (for non med reasons), will your refuse a organ for you or one of your family members? Just wondering how that works.

March 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
I dont know...hopefully I never have to make that decision.

And honestly, that "turn" of the argument gets old to hear. Its different. Its a choice and if someone chose to donate kudos to them...thats their right just like its mine to not be comfy donating my stuff(although if my child needed a kidney and mine were in decent order I would give to them).

So I would probably accept a donating organ. Just because I wont give stuff from my body upon my death doesnt deem my kids or husband or family member unworthy to recieve one from someone who made the choose TO donate.

Oh and as for myself taking an organ. It would depend. If I needed a liver or something tomorrow then ya Id probably accept one gratefully.
If I was over 65 then Id probably ask that it go to someone younger. Why? because right now my children are young and need me. Their father is dying and they need their mother to be here for them as they grow to manhood. Noone else is available to do that for them.

Last edited by Amaranth Dhanya; March 27th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.
March 28th, 2012, 05:59 AM
I don't understand not paying it forward. One of the things I think is wrong with society, they gladly accept something for themselves but not want to help out with the problem by returning the favor (or someone in the family donating). That is greedy and selfish, especially to accept one and not have any issues about not giving back. I am sorry if I offended, but that is just beyond me.

"I will gladly take that organ and live the rest of my life, but donating creeps me out." Really?

March 28th, 2012, 06:45 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here, it's stated on your driver's license. Both DH & I have "Organ Donor" on ours. I would absolutely want to help someone else in need if something were to happen to me.

March 28th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Im all for paying it forward and if my kids choose to donate after I die then so be it...not like Im gonna come back and haunt them for it.

I think the worlds ills come from lack of respect and lack of common sense but thats just my opinion.

Donating is something I just dont give a rip enough about to make it a goal to do it and post it everywhere. I dont sign yes and I dont care if my kids donate me when Im gone...there are bigger issues in my life and in the world.

And considering someone selfish for not donating cuz you would is sad. There are so many other issues in life and if that one small bit can cause others to cast that big a "label" on someone for all time...well that just says a lot about those folks not the one being labeled.

Last edited by Amaranth Dhanya; March 28th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
March 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not gonna call someone selfish, I think everyone has a choice, and ya'll are right the ER docs have no idea if the person is a donor, in fact no one does until the person dies and someone talks to the family to ask.
I saw every person my dad was on dyalsis with die waiting for an ogan, and that was just waiting for a kidney.
I love seeing stories of the families who lost a loved one meet the people who recieved thier loved ones organs, whose lives were saved.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search