holidays around the world...

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 07:03 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
so the hot cross buns got me thinking....it doesn't' seem to be a thing done in the US...so i was wondering what else is different...so what holidays do you celebrate and HOW do you celebrate them???
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 27th, 2012, 08:08 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Things are very different here!
In my ddc atm they are talking about bringing the babies to see the easter bunny. I had never heard of this! and someone posted a pic of what its like and tbh i was actually terrified looking at it! I dont like it at all, it seems to ridiculous and strange to me, but in reality its the same as going to see santa at christmas!
easter in general is a bit different. you guys do easter baskets and dye real eggs. Here its all about chocolate! the kids get soooo many easter eggs its madness.

Halloween is another one that is so huge in the US, but is just a little blip on the calender here. The kids do dress up and go trick or treating, but adults only dress up for parties (at a push!) and noone really decorates apart from a pumpkin unless they are having a big party. and i've read on here about people dressing newborn babies up and going trick or treating. You wouldnt get ANY candy here, people would not take it well.

March 27th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Heard of Hot Cross Buns but never had them.

I celebrate several holidays/holy days. All Wiccan ones, they are called Sabbats, as well as Christmas, Halloween, and our version of Easter(the fun part not the Christian religious part).

I also celebrate a Hindu festival called Karwa Chauth.

All married women observes fast that ensures the well-being, prosperity and longevity of their husbands.

I also want to start celebrating Diwali but havent remembered to do so yet.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
we celebrate the main ones

Eater (not in a religious sense)-easter baskets egg hunt
Christmas (again not religious) -dinner gifts etc
Halloween-dressing up going trick or treating
4th of July-bbq fireworks good friends

March 28th, 2012, 06:22 AM
LoriLou35's Avatar Veteran
The kids and I were playing a trivia game called Beat the Parents the other day. One of the questions for the kids was "What kind of pie do you eat at Thanksgiving?" My kids were FURIOUS because the correct answer was pumpkin. We live in Louisiana and it is pecan pie all the way around here! They were so mad! lol

March 28th, 2012, 12:40 PM
MammaHutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyPink View Post
Things are very different here!
In my ddc atm they are talking about bringing the babies to see the easter bunny. I had never heard of this! and someone posted a pic of what its like and tbh i was actually terrified looking at it!
Thats hilarious!

I think its crazy too to be honest. We "celebrate" Easter for the candy and coloring of the eggs, not for the religious aspect.
March 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
yeah we dont do santa and the easter bunny in our house...my kids know that me and dh are the ones who buy everything for them

March 30th, 2012, 03:01 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
We celebrate Christmas Day and New Years Eve/Day.. other than that, no other holidays are worth fussing over. Halloween & Easter, I find, are just big money-bringers. Halloween isn't that big over here anyway. And Easter seems to only be about buying chocolate eggs.

I am not religious about those holidays either.

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

March 30th, 2012, 06:09 AM
yeah i try to spend as little as possible on easter stuff....but i do like to get them each a new outfit cause its starting to be spring and its nice to get them some new spring clothes to wear a few things of candy and stuff...nothing over the top....

March 30th, 2012, 11:33 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
We celebrate Christmas and Halloween (although it's pretty low-key for us)

We will do some of the Easter stuff, like the basket and an egg hunt, but I don't think I'll ever take my girls to see the Easter Bunny like I do with Santa at Christmas. We will go to mass that morning and I'm making a dinner here and inviting friends who don't have family in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyPink View Post
Halloween is another one that is so huge in the US, but is just a little blip on the calender here. The kids do dress up and go trick or treating, but adults only dress up for parties (at a push!) and noone really decorates apart from a pumpkin unless they are having a big party. and i've read on here about people dressing newborn babies up and going trick or treating. You wouldnt get ANY candy here, people would not take it well.
OMG. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine if you can't tell from the wall of text below.

It doesn't go over well at my house either. This last year I didn't have anyone come by collecting for newborns, although some were going house to house dressed up with their older siblings, but they didn't have anything to collect candy. I understand taking them out with their older sibling, but the idea of taking them out dressed up all by themselves so you can collect candy that they can't even eat is utterly ludicrous. I shut the door on two guys the year before last after telling they could take their lazy behinds to walmart or the drug store and buy their own darn candy. If they have multiple children, I'll give the older kids candy and skip the adult holding the bag for the newborn. Em will be almost 2 this year and I'm not sure we'll take her out door to door. We might dress her up and take her by a couple friends houses in the afternoon and then stay here and let her help hand out candy. /stepping off soapbox

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search