Something else got me thinking!

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 3OhioBoys
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 1 Post By MidgeMadge
  • 1 Post By Conners Mommie +2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 09:39 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I saw a tweet today from a journalist who sat next to a register in a coffee shop chain. He noticed that only 1 in 4 people said thank you to the barista.

How often do you use "thank you" to servers and cashiers?
If you do/dont, is it a conscious thing?
Are your childrens manners a big deal to you?

March 27th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ALWAYS say thank you, and even say it for my husband sometimes too. grrr.
It's both conscious and not really....like, I KNOW I say it, but it's just something I do because I've always worked in the food industry so I know how important such a little word can mean to someone.
Yes, my kids manners are a big deal to me. I have to MAKE Conner speak when spoken to and to say thank you and ma'am and sir and it drives me up the wall. It's probably my own fault because I didn't start him early, but I have started early with Colin. and while he still needs reminding sometimes, he's getting the hang of it!

March 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I always say please and thank you and excuse me and Ive taught my children to do that as well...to me its a sign of respect and we all deserve that on occasion at least LOL.
They arent perfect at it but they try.

If I dont then its cuz Ive forgotten or was in such a hurry that I spaced it...never on purpose.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
March 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i say thank you....probably more out of habit now cause i always do it anyways LOL im sure half the time i dont even realize i do it...

i always want my kids saying please and thank you

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

March 28th, 2012, 05:04 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Manners are a huge deal to me. I am an over thanker. And if my kids don't say thanks they get a reminder.

My DH did not grow up learning to have as many manners as me ad it annoys me at times.
TheOnlyPink likes this.

Forever remembering your smiling face.
March 28th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always use manners. Maybe I'm even a little too kind sometimes. Please and thank you are very important. My hubby is terrible about manners which is hard since I'm trying to instill the same manners in my daughter. I feel like I have to constantly reminder her....what's the magic word, or How do you ask....now, what do you say. When she uses those words without being told it makes me very happy.

March 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ALWAYS thank cashiers/retail salespeople/etc. I worked a lot of retail jobs through college and I always appreciated when people were kind and thanked me, so I try to do the same as a customer.

Leah is pretty shy with strangers in public, so I don't push but I do prompt. If she says it, great. I'm sure it'll get easier as she gets older.
TheOnlyPink likes this.

March 28th, 2012, 06:27 AM
LoriLou35's Avatar Veteran
I live in the South and it is a HUGE deal here. I say thank you all the time. My kids say it too. We also teach our kids to say "yes sir" and "yes ma'am". It's pretty important around here.

March 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I probably over thank, if there's such a thing. Every day basic manners is a really huge deal to me. I was always told/made to say it to everyone, and I still do. I also get ticked when people don't do it, because it takes 1 second. I embarrass my husband sometimes.. I always hold a door for someone if they're behind me. The other day they were a bit away, but I stayed there and held it.. never a word. I said "you're welcome" to her.. My husband hates that. But it amazes that someone could stand there and wait, hold a door, and the person doesn't thank them! Pfffft.

My daughter is really good about it, Ive taught her from the start. She says she's one of the only one who thanks her teacher every day after she gives them a snack.. that makes me proud of HER, but really sad that kids aren't being told something so basic. She's also the only one who has thank you notes hanging up in the classroom (we gave one to her teacher when she gave her a christmas and birthday present). Meh.
Sometimes I have to remind her in public because she just forgets .. I'll say "what do you say?".. but she's mostly good about it.
TheOnlyPink likes this.

March 28th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I am a massive stickler for manners. Jake is usually pretty good about remembering, but if he doesnt he will get a promt.

My husband was never taught manners. I dont think i ever heard him say please until jake was born. It wasnt that he was disrespectful, its just something that he had never done. His 14 year old brother doesnt use any manners either, and i LOVE when jake is polite in my inlaws house!
But because dh was never taught manners, and i explained to him why it was such a huge deal to me, he is really trying to get into the habit of it and setting a good example for the boys.

March 30th, 2012, 02:59 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
99.99% of the time I do.

The other .1% is probably because they have moved onto the next customer so therefore wouldn't have heard me anyway

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

March 30th, 2012, 11:13 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I usually talk a bit to my cashiers if they seem open to it. I always make an effort to say thank you and wish them a nice day.

Manners are important, but we won't be able to work on that for a while. Until then, I'll continue to show her and serve as a good example!

March 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I absolutely say thank you and usually have a good day/night to cashiers. Even when I'm having a "shy day" and feel uncomfortable talking I'll still at least smile and nod my head before shuffling out all awkward like haha.

The last job I had was as a runner/expo in a restaurant and If you were bringing a salad or soup you had to offer ground pepper. There was one guy who was sitting at the bar who seriously just started waving his hand at me to stop. I had no idea what he was trying to indicate (thought maybe he was just talking to his friend, it was kinda loud). After a minute of this I asked if that was enough, and he said "yes! Now that's too much"
I said "sorry I didn't know what (waved my hand like he did) meant" and walked off. Like seriously? Would it have killed him to turn to me and TELL me that was enough? I'm not a **** dog or servant!

...I didn't mean for that to turn into a rant haha

March 31st, 2012, 06:40 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Girl, don't even get me started on working in restaraunts....we could start a whole new thread on that one! LOL
MammaHutch likes this.

March 31st, 2012, 08:21 AM
Jen, thats a good idea, i've worked in tons of restaurants too. Thats a good idea for a thread, i think alot of us have worked in the service industry.

March 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
MammaHutch
I say thank you ALL - THE - TIME! I am huge on that. I even say thank you when DH cooks dinner and he is like "Babe, you dont have to say thank you", well yes I do. Thats just me. I have been told that I say thank you too much sometimes, but c'mon, you can never be too polite.
March 31st, 2012, 02:16 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We definitely could start a whole new thread on morons who eat out haha

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search