Spin-off to Jess's thread...

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheOnlyPink
  • 1 Post By TheOnlyPink

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2012, 05:42 AM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Do you/did you ever worry about SIDS?
How often do you/did you check on your LO in their 1st year?
Was there anything you did to make sure you could hear/see your LO while they were sleeping? Or anything you bought?

I ask because of Jess's thread, and also I have been talking to one of my closest friends tonight about SIDS and I told her how often I check on Eve and how I constantly worry about it... she said not to and that if Eve has good head control she will move her face out of the way of blankets/sheets/whatever.

I STILL WORRY!! I don't think I will ever give up checking on her...

Am I being OTT?

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 21st, 2012, 06:12 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
no actually sids never worried me....when raianna was a baby it was "okay" to lay them on their stomachs by the time elyse was born they were all like only the back! its like geez....the baby is gonna sleep how it wants...all my kids were rolling over soon...raianna LOVED sleeping on her stomach and i let her....and helena LOVED sleeping on her back....elyse she did both but mainly her side

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

April 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly did not worry that much. I could always hear her little coos and movements on the monitor anyway. The only time I got nervous was the very first time Leah slept through the night. DH & I woke up and looked at each other like, "Did she really just sleep ALL night?!" So, we went to check on her just to make sure. Otherwise, I never let it worry me.

April 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I am terrified of it. Because they dont actually know what causes it, i dont know what i can do to stop it. I can follow all the guidelines and whatever, but its not a guarantee. my cousins daughter died from it, so i am frantic. Jake moved out of our room as soon as he was sleeping through the night, at around 8 weeks.. harry sleeps all night most nights, and has done since he was 8 weeks, and here he is, almost 20 weeks old and i just cant bring myself to move him out. even tho he is starting to wake when we go to bed cos we are disturbing him and i KNOW he would sleep better on his own, i just cant. not yet.

I am getting more and more comfortable tho, he doesnt spit up as much, can move his hands instead of just flapping, and just generally has more control over himself.

oh, and i still check on jake before i go to bed every night and if i am up to go to the loo during the night.
MammaHutch likes this.

April 21st, 2012, 08:51 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
exactly Robyn, I dont think its something you can prevent really....yeah you can take precautions but you can also take precautions to protecting your child from EVERYTHING by putting them in a bubble...and thats not gonna happen LOL....

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

April 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
We never kept blankets or anything in the crib when she was really small.. that always helped me feel better. We also kept her with us until she was 6 months. She was a preemie and could sleep in her bassinet longer than most babies. She also had severe reflux at one point and couldn't sleep sitting up, so we put her in a swing in our room.

So I wasn't really worried. Once she moved to her crib, I just used a monitor. I could hear her make noises through the night.

April 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really worry all that much. I bedshare, science has proven that baby's body regulates to mommas. I don't vax, which I believe is linked and suggested by studies. I also believe formula is linked with SIDS, but unfortunately, this time, I am FF. I do my best to protect him, but if it happens, I believe it would happen no matter where were sleeping. They called SIDS crib death for a reason.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

April 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
ive thought about it but never really worried myself over it. i do everything i can to help prevent suffocation..ive always heard sids is something else and it either happens or it doesnt.
April 21st, 2012, 01:02 PM
LindsayMom09
Yes I worried when Harvey was a baby, but not to the extent where it had me up all night. The only one time I can remember being completely worried sick was the first night we moved him into a cot in a room of his own. It was SO hard for me that night but what made it worse was the fact that I had just read an article in a magazine that night about a baby who died from sids, and it frightened me. The next morning I LEAPT out of the bed and ran to his room, but he was completely fine and from them on I can't ever remember worrying like that again. We kept monitors right by our bed and I could always hear his little coos and gurgles so it was fine As other ladies said, it is something that either happens or it doesn't and what any parent can only do is hope and pray that it doesn't happen to them.
April 21st, 2012, 06:24 PM
ComfortablyMum's Avatar <3 Mummy 2 Eve <3
Hmmm now I'm feeling a bit OTT.. I don't wake during the night to check on her as she wakes every 2-3hrs for a feed anyway. It is just while I am awake that I check on her

Eve Alexandra Mae | 18 Months

April 21st, 2012, 10:25 PM
MammaHutch
I do not sleep at all at night. I really think its because I am worried something would happen, I mean what else would explain why I cant sleep? Drake is an amazing sleeper, solid 10 hours a night with one waking to eat and then right back down. I think I am more worried because he is a belly sleeper. I can put him on his back all night and he rolls himself right back to his belly. The only time I get sleep is when Drake is awake and someone is watching him. I have gone to bed with him MANY times at around 8pm and lay in bed for HOURS on end. I hope one night I will just sleep.
April 22nd, 2012, 01:48 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
Maria, i dont wake to check on harry. He sleeps for about 9-10 hours straight without waking. We obv check him when we go to bed, but unless he wakes, we dont either! but just knowing he is in arms reach is enough to make me relax.
ComfortablyMum likes this.

April 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I was really worried, especially with my first two kids. The younger two I relaxed a bit. I was a bit glad when they all hit that first birthday and I could stop worrying about it. Of course by then they were mobile which brings new worries...
April 22nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
MammaHutch
I think in the end why we are more worried is because this is our first. But, we have strong babies and they will be fine!
April 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I worried a bit. He slept right by the bed for 6 months in a rock n play though so I could wake up and reach over and feel him to make sure all was good. And I did it often!

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
April 27th, 2012, 12:23 PM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
Nah, I never really worried about either of the girls. They've both always been good sleepers. Em has slept 12-13 hours since she was about 4 months old and already Josie is sleeping 8-10 hours with just one wake up to eat. Jeff always asks me if I'm going to check on Em. I ask what is there to check on? She's sleeping... Jeff says "She's so quiet, I just want to know she's okay..." I reply back that if she's quiet, she's okay. If she weren't okay, she'd be crying. I realize this isn't the case with SIDS, but I guess it never occurred to me to be worried about that.

There's a claim by an australian doctor who treated Aboriginal children (and lowered their SIDS deaths by 65%) that Vitamin C is a factor. He found the SIDS is sometimes undiagnosed infantile scurvy. Then there's a New Zealand Doctor who claimed it's from chemicals in the crib mattresses making them flame resistant. His claim is that he's never had any child die of SIDS in the families he's worked with and that it's due to the mattress covers. I don't know how true either of these are, but I figure since I'm getting good nutrition, the kids are getting good nutrition and the crib mattress has a good quality cover on it, that's all I can do.

April 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was so worried at first, I constantly checked her then she started sleeping on her stomach so that really worried me, but she sleeps so much better on her tummy, thats when she started sleeping through the night, and I would still wake up randomly and check her, her crib was in our room until she was 5 months so I just stepped two feet and checked her, I kept blankets and stuff out of her crib, i was paranoid about it.

April 27th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
I worried some but not overly so. I figured if it was gonna happen there wasnt gonna be anything I could do about it.

I had their room close to mine and doors were open so I could hear if needbe. I never woke them up nor woke up just to go check on them.
April 27th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I worried with my first - mostly because I lived in TN at the time, and had people telling me horror stories while I was preggers with her about friends and family members who's baby had died from SIDS or RSV.

I don't remember worrying about it too much with my boys, but everyone has started out in my bed or a bassinet right next to my bed.

This time, with Squeakers, when she was born, I had a real gut wrenching fear of putting her in her own bed. She slept in my bed with me - until about a week ago. Now she's in her own bed until about 6 am, and then she comes into my bed for an early morning nursing. (I honestly think it's because I had 1 girl followed by 4 boys, and I was fearful that something would happen to my second girl since it took so many years after my first girl to get a second girl LOL)

yea, I guess I'm not right

April 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was a mess about it with my first. Mostly because he almost died at birth...I got to watch them do CPR on him while I was still on the operating table. So I was paranoid that he would stop breathing. I follow all the guidelines...nothing in crib, fan in room, keep kid cool, on their backs...etc. With DS#2, we bought the Angelcare monitor. I had sworn I would never get a motion sensor type monitor, but Lew insisted on sleeping facedown into the mattress at 4 months, so I caved. I am glad I did, because through the Angelcare we learned that Lew has apnea issues.

Lew, 1, DSD Lauren, 18, and Chuck, 4

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search