Geocaching

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
MomRigamarole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boys and I have a new hobby we started last week...geocaching. We have been having a blast with it since it is something we can all enjoy..even my DH has gone with us a couple times.

It is like a world-wide scavenger hunt for those who don't know. We are just staying locally but there are hundreds of places posted online locally to find caches. Some of the places just have trinkets to find and share but some caches contain coins or even gift certificates or money to the first finders. Some of them are really small caches like tiny logs hidden inside pill bottles and stashed somewhere in or around tiny local cemeteries.... you find the cache and write down your usernames and date and replace. If you do find a cache with trinkets or CDs or DVDs or something, you are supposed to leave something of equal or greater value. Or you can take nothing and leave nothing. Trinkets can include anything from Silly Bandz and friendship bracelets to McDonald's toys or poker chips or stretchable figurines, etc. We are gonna hit up the local dollar store for ideas..even something like those tiny bubbles people hand out at weddings, etc. The posts online will mostly tell you what type of container to expect to search for at the geocaching site (from a pill bottle size to a 5 gallon bucket hidden) and what is contained within each.

My 7 yo and 18yo alike get excited trying to be the first one to find it. One lady online said her 2 year old loves it and sometimes is the one to find the cache first even though it can be tricky! The only caveat is the gas cost but we have ridden our bikes to a couple or just stayed within a 5 mile radius of our house. For those interested, just go to geocaching.com and type in your address or zip code and a radius of a few miles and see what's near you to find... we haven't needed a GPS for most of the ones we have found or are going to look for..the online map gives you a good idea of where to look.

One guy near us hid a mailbox with small stuffed animals in it for kids. Another geocache we went to required us to cross a dry creek bed and find an overturned log..underneath was a metal box containing a log for our names, a camera for pictures of us to leave, and an article regarding a plane crash on that exact site that killed 38 people many years ago. The geocache was a sort of memorial to those people because it listed their names, ages and hometowns. It was sad but a nice way to remember those people.

Just thought I would pass this info along in case anyone was interested. It is one of the things we are looking forward to doing this summer as a family.

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for another lovely siggie!

June 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
That sounds really fun! Is there a website or something for it?

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
June 8th, 2012, 02:31 PM
LoveMySonshine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried it but I could never find any and just got frustrated. When I can't figure stuff out I get so upset with myself. So I don't think it's for me... but his father and him love doing it. I might try again this summer, but I looked for lots and could never find them.

June 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
ohh that sounds fun!! i'll have to see if there is anything around our neighborhood i bet the kids would get a kick out of that!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

June 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
sounds like fun!
June 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM
MomRigamarole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kristy (Mod-krislati) ...

Here is the link to the website:

Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

And like I said, don't let the idea that you have to use a GPS deter you if you are interested.. we haven't used a GPS for our searches because they pretty much give you the location and hints of where and what to look for. We have mostly gone to small cemeteries near our home or even found caches near things like billboards or traffic signs a mile from our house. You'd be surprised what is hidden right under your nose! lol

Thank you, *Kiliki*, for another lovely siggie!

June 9th, 2012, 02:51 AM
LindsayMom09
That sounds like soooo much fun!!! I would LOVE to do something like that. I love scavenger hunts and things like that, so I think we would all really enjoy this! I'm going to check and see if it's done in the UK as well, but I'm pretty sure it is. I'm glad you and your family have all found something you enjoy!!!
June 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Momof4Boyz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Momof4Boyz
I've been wanting to try it, I check for new caches all the time but I need to get a better GPS system - my phone one sucks.

Facebook
June 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i looked it up and wow that looks interesting. How do you feel confident though that people won't leave some kind of weird item there? You know people these days. And then i watched the little video on the website and it seems that you leave the box there after you find it? how do they keep random people from stealing them you think?

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
June 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
LindsayMom09
Wait...GPS? You need a GPS to do it?? I need to read more into this I think
October 15th, 2012, 07:37 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
I totally want to try this!!!! I am going to wait until my kids are older though.

And yes- you do need a GPS- but they are fairly cheap you can get handheld ones fr like $20.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 16th, 2012, 05:13 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
omg i totally forgot about this link!!! man its something i wanted to do during the summer....never got around to it though LOL

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
I would be interested but Daniel would never have the patience!!

October 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
that looks like so much fun, thanks for sharing!!!

lindsey, theres an irish one
geocachingireland.com - Interactive Map

October 16th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
This sounds really interesting! I've heard of it before but never knew exactly how it worked. We might have to try that out sometime!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

October 17th, 2012, 08:20 AM
** Mandy **
Wow! That sounds really neat. I've never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search