Are you Frugal?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MidgeMadge

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
What are some ways you save money? Are you more frugal when it comes to certain things?

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
July 27th, 2012, 11:27 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i try to buy off brand things....in everything but like peanut butter and i have to buy miracle whip and country crock butter...everything else no big deal

ohh cept toilet paper...can't be wiping with sandpaper LOL
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

July 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I'm trying to learn to be more frugal to save us some money to get ready for me staying home. For groceries we try to always get the cheapest brand, except for some things that just aren't as good. And I've started hitting up some garage sales for stuff for Sophia.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

July 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am about as cheap as they come LOL. I buy off brands for the most part, pretty much unless there is no off brand. I have been wearing the same 3 pairs of shoes for like 5 years. I don't carry a cell phone, and for simple saving my bank has some option that automatically sends money to your savings when you use your card.

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
July 28th, 2012, 06:34 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I'm in between, I think.
I'm not extremely frugal, but not incredibly wasteful or a huuuuge money spender either.

I try to be most frugal at the market, I'd guess. I always make a list. I get store brand with the brands I don't mind having that, shop at the green market when I can, etc.
TheOnlyPink likes this.

July 28th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I always buy off brand food, I get Audrey's clothes from re-sale stores or hand me downs, unless I find cheap clothes from like wal mart or something. I try to keep my driving when DH is gone to a minimal to save on gas, and really we only have to fill up once a month for my car which helps since he drives 5 hrs to work and 5 hrs home every two weeks.
we used to eat out A LOT and when I added up how much we spent we stopped, we eat out maybe like twice a month now.

July 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
Oh yes, for sure. Just today I bought oldest DD 8 pairs of jeans from the store justice for 2.00$ at a consignment store. I bought 4 in her current size and 4 in the next size or two up. I shop consignment store for the kids clothes. I buy a bunch of things if its on sale at the store..like capri suns we go through those a lot so ill buy the ten for ten on those because that makes them 1$ a box when I usually spend close to 3 dollars on a box usually.
July 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty frugal. Some things have to be name brand as far as groceries go....I buy generic most of the time though.

October 15th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Veteran
I have been frugal pretty much my entire adult life, out of necessity. Sometimes more hardcore then others.
Here's some of things I do:
-clip coupons
- stockpile food and household items
- mend clothing and other items to extend its use
- buy generics, unless it is awful and i can find a better sale w/ coupon
- write to companies complimenting/complaining their products for coupons
-accept ALL hand me downs I am offered. If I can't use it, I trash, repurpose or pass it on.
- yardsale/thrift store clothes other then socks,undies and bras. i have a thrift store near me that does $1 for a plastic shopping bag and try to go only during those days.
-suggest clothing or other needed items for gift suggestions when asked.
- homemade cloth AF items most of the time
-rags instead of paper towels unless its a gross mess

SAHM to Mercedes (4/8/05)
October 15th, 2012, 08:42 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeMadge View Post
I'm in between, I think.
I'm not extremely frugal, but not incredibly wasteful or a huuuuge money spender either.

I try to be most frugal at the market, I'd guess. I always make a list. I get store brand with the brands I don't mind having that, shop at the green market when I can, etc.
This is pretty much me.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 17th, 2012, 09:31 PM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do try to be frugal. My friends joke that I have a coupon for EVERYTHING! lol We went to dinner last weekend and I did have a coupon. When I grocery shop I do price matching and plan my menu around what is on sale. When I clothes shop its garage sales, thrift stores, and clearance racks. I just bought new gym shoes, after about 3 years! And I had a 20% off coupon. I try to save money wherever we can. But I do spend more than I need to at times as well. I figure it all evens out in the end.

October 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
i got a few cupons to target that i need to remember to use next time i go!! they are for kids shoes and clothes!! i need to go down and dig up the winter clothes box and make an inventory of the items we need! then do that hopefully next week!!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 18th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
i use coupons and have three store loyalty cards which get me good money off after a bit. we bulk buy non-perishable stuff when on offer. plan meals prior to shopping. make do and mend to a point. take hand me downs from family and hand on as well. go to car boot sales for things like toys books and cds. save when we can. we are frugal, but i think we can still do better.

October 18th, 2012, 07:23 PM
** Mandy **
I like being frugal but it is a work in progress for me. When I worked full time we had a lot more income and a lot less time so we tended to spend too much money on stupid stuff and not really pay much attention to it. Now that I'm not working I'm really watching every penny and doing my best to be as frugal as possible. I use coupons, I watch for sales, I shop consignment shops, I never turn down free hand me downs, I try to use everything we buy and mostly just buy what we need, we don't go out to eat much anymore, and we spend less on activities but still have a great time.

October 19th, 2012, 03:53 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I'm kind of in between too. I buy generic store brands for most things, but only because they dont taste any different. Some things i wont buy because they arent as good. I will only buy one brand of toothpaste, toilet paper, fabric softener and coffee. So i stock up on them whenever they have a good offer.

I also check the special offers by looking at the "price per kg" on the label. Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy the brands on special offer, other times it can work out more expensive.
I also plan my meals around things that are on offer, like vegetables and meat. I cook everything from scratch too which does make things alot cheaper.

As for clothes etc, I buy the kids clothes in H&M. Cant go wrong with those prices! We dont have anyone to pass clothes to us, and the second hand stores are seriously grotty, so i have to buy new.
For me and dh we wait for sales and buy at the end of the season if we need to.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search