HELP!!! Popping in with a question.

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By youngwoman
  • 1 Post By MidgeMadge
  • 1 Post By Babymakes8
  • 1 Post By WidgetMommy
  • 1 Post By mommas2favs
  • 1 Post By 3OhioBoys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 06:52 AM
3OhioBoys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay ladies, I have a question. Grayson turns 3 in a few weeks and HATES the thought of peeing on the potty. We are finally to the point though that he will sometimes sit on it. I had a thought last night and I want your honest opinions on if it is wrong/dumb/genius.

Gray is the type of child that wants everything his brothers have. What if I give them a "reward" (like a chocolate chip) every time they pee? One would think that eventually he would see that brothers peed and got something and that he can do it too. BUT am I going to mess up the kids by doing this? They are on board with he idea and claim to understand that it is only for a little while to help Grayson learn to use the potty. Thoughts?

Forever remembering your smiling face.
October 1st, 2012, 06:58 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think peer pressure may be good as far as incentive.... but if he doesn't seem ready, I wouldn't push it. My DD didn't potty train until closer to 3.5 and a lot of the boys in her PR didn't potty train until well after 3. So, I wouldn't stress it. But I'd say it can't hurt to try. Just be prepared to drop it if he really seems like he hates the potty, and then you can always try again in another few weeks. Good luck!
TheOnlyPink likes this.

October 1st, 2012, 07:02 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
I agree with Amanda. I'm the type of parent that is for bribing. It works with young children. I don't do it so much at the age of 6 (or at all), but I did when she was younger. I figure- whatever works, I do.

But Alexis wasn't potty trained until she was 3 1/2 to 4 years old, I didn't push it. And when she was READY, she was FULLY ready. She's had one accident her whole life. At not EVEN three, I honestly wouldn't stress. I'm of the frame of mind they do it when they're ready- pushing it doesn't always go the way you want in the end.
TheOnlyPink likes this.

October 1st, 2012, 07:16 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I totally agree with the other ladies. I bribed Kayley with m&m's for pee and lollipops for poop, lol. I also did stickers on a chart that came with this Elmo uses the Potty book (I forget what it was called exactly). They end up so proud of themselves after awhile you don't need the candy or stickers anymore. It worked for us!

Kayley was fully potty trained at 2.5 but each child is different. I tried earlier but she wasn't ready so I didn't push...I just waited and started up again when she got a little older. I've heard boys are late potty trainers anyway so I wouldn't worry too much. I know potty training can be difficult at times...I remember, lol! Good luck.

October 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
Incentives are good and may help but dont over push it. Mine didnt potty train til close to 4 and they would sit on the toilet and everything! Just didnt want to do the rest of it even with rewards.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
October 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM
Babymakes8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my boys didn't potty train until they were 3. I have a couple funny stories about it..

My oldest boy, I was so frustrated with it, and he always (and still does) looked up to daddy. So one morning, I snuck down the hall to the bathroom with my son. I ripped open the bathroom door while my hubby was mid-pee and exclaimed, "See?! See how daddy pee?!" My son never looked back! From that moment on he wanted to pee like daddy. My DH on the other hand, was scared out of his wits, because it was like yank on door and scream, and jumped a mile! but I still mandate the mess was WELL worth it!

The next 2 boys potty trained in the summer, and we taught them to pee on trees, where no one could see them. They thought this was great, and it worked well, until one of them pooped on a tree....then that was the end of that.

My youngest son, we used m&m's everytime he went potty. The problem came once we knew he was potty trained, he expected that he should still get m&m's.
3OhioBoys likes this.

October 1st, 2012, 08:35 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
honestly i'd try it LOL the older boys are old enough to understand that this isn't something that is gonna happen all the time....he seems ready just buy sitting on the potty he may just need that extra incentive to go! so i'd at least try it for a week or two and if it doesn't seem to be working i'd back off for a while...i hear that most boys potty train around 3-3.5 so i wouldn't worry too much yet!!! my goal for my kids was to at least have them potty trained before they went into kindergarten haha!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 1st, 2012, 09:28 AM
I figure that if he doesn't do it or show more interest in doing it we will wait until summer... and to the whole naked all the time thing .

The older boys both trained right at 3. W/ Nathan I had tried a few times before 3 and he was not ready. Then after his birthday we tried again and used a sticker chart and it worked well. Jakob's trained in no time right around 3. So I was/am hoping Grayson will do it at 3 too but we shall see!

Thanks for not making me feel like a bad mom for using the older two .

October 1st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Veteran
If your other kids are big enough to understand, I don't think it would hurt to try. It might just be enough to motivate him if he is the type to want what his brothers have. If not, wait and try again in a couple months. Does he like a certain kind of candy or treat more then others? Using his favorite kind might help too.

With DD I "introduced" the potty at 18 months and stayed home the entire week to go cold turkey off of diapers. It was a disaster! I spent more time cleaning my floor than she did sitting on the potty. I gave up after that until two or three months before her third birthday. At that point, she literally potty trained herself during the days. We still needed diapers at night until she was almost 4 because no matter what I tried she just couldn't realize she had to go at night or hold it all night.
3OhioBoys likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
I have not used "treat" bribes like cookies or candies with Emily. I've used stickers, she's a sticker FIEND!
I do agree with your idea of peer pressure. I think it's a great idea to recruit his brothers to help you. I don't blame you for worrying about the bribe on the older boys, I would worry about that as well.
Perhaps you could just make the cookie a weekly reward? Give them all charts, when Grayson goes in with them and sees what they've done, mark down the charts accordingly, and have a weekly cookie reward for so many attempts or victories on the toilet?

Have you tried a "Lets Try" schedule? Emily is already displaying her discomfort with diapers and is vocal about asking for a change if she wants one. But I also keep her on a "Let's Try" routine too, As soon as she wakes in the morning, before SesameStreet at 10am, before nap at 1 pm, after nap at 3 or 4 pm, and then again before bed at 8 pm. I haven't yet figured out her pattern...(its frustrating LOL)

I'm sorry I don't have any great advice Whitney, I hope you find something that works for your lil man!
3OhioBoys likes this.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki~~
October 2nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I'm all for peer pressure too. Your older boys are old enough to understand and probably want to help gray. and the added bonus of a treat for doing a pee!

But i'm with amanda too, there is no rush. All kids are different. Jake was 3.5 before he even considered the potty. He just wasnt having it before then. all the treats and stickers in the world wouldnt change his mind, and then one day he just did it! I thought he would b going to college in nappies!
But harry on the other hand, hates being wet or dirty. Needs to be changed asap after he has gone (some days i feel like i might as well hand our paycheck to pampers!) and he wont poo if his nappy is wet. So i think he is going to be a doddle to train!

Good luck with it hun, and never feel like a bad mom. We all do what we have to to get through it all!

October 2nd, 2012, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommas2favs View Post
I have not used "treat" bribes like cookies or candies with Emily. I've used stickers, she's a sticker FIEND!
I do agree with your idea of peer pressure. I think it's a great idea to recruit his brothers to help you. I don't blame you for worrying about the bribe on the older boys, I would worry about that as well.
Perhaps you could just make the cookie a weekly reward? Give them all charts, when Grayson goes in with them and sees what they've done, mark down the charts accordingly, and have a weekly cookie reward for so many attempts or victories on the toilet?

Have you tried a "Lets Try" schedule? Emily is already displaying her discomfort with diapers and is vocal about asking for a change if she wants one. But I also keep her on a "Let's Try" routine too, As soon as she wakes in the morning, before SesameStreet at 10am, before nap at 1 pm, after nap at 3 or 4 pm, and then again before bed at 8 pm. I haven't yet figured out her pattern...(its frustrating LOL)

I'm sorry I don't have any great advice Whitney, I hope you find something that works for your lil man!
We did a sticker chart with Nathan and it was the only thing that worked. I think each child is different. Grayson would not give a hoot about it. BUT I could maybe to three sticker charts so he sees his brothers earn stickers. Hmm... then I might not feel so bad handing out chocolates to my 7 and 5 year olds, lol.
mommas2favs likes this.

October 4th, 2012, 07:15 AM
any updates on how the potty training is going???

October 5th, 2012, 05:54 AM
not really lol. I only finally gave one to the boys last night and he cried for some then understood that he needed to go pee on the potty. he sat on it for a few minutes before his bath but did not do the deed. He'll get there someday!

October 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
yep just keep at it...without pushing...he'll get it!! like i said as long as they are potty trained before kindergarten LOL

October 5th, 2012, 08:19 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommas2favs View Post

We did stickers with Lily, If she got so many in a week she got a treat, which was usually a dollar store toy, which usually ended up with more stickers...lol. But I am all for bribing. Tommy is no where near ready yet, which is new for me, since Lily was fully trained by 2.5, Tommy will not even sit on the potty yet.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**

Tags
sahmchallenge

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search