Childrens books?

Forum: Stay At Home Mommies

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Stay At Home Mommies LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 1st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What was your favorite book or story growing up?
Do you read to your children?
Do they have any favorites?

Audrey has recently started loving books, she is always bringing me a book to read, her favorites are just word ones like a picture and the word(babys first words books?) she makes me say the words over and over, but its working because now when I ask where the(duck,bowl,ball ect) is she points to the right ones.. she LOVES the color book that has all the colors with things that are that color, I have to point to every single thing on the page lol.
her other favorite is a story about a bunny named Abigail doing gymnastics, it came with a talking doll that responds when you say certain phrases.

October 1st, 2012, 04:05 PM
Amaranth Dhanya's Avatar aka Hillarie
Send a message via Yahoo to Amaranth Dhanya
My favorite as a pre-teen and into my teen years was Little Women.
When I was younger I enjoyed Beverly Cleary books, Are You There God, Its Me Margeret being one of my favs.

My mom read to us The Great Brain and I adore that book and its boyish so I want to read that to the boys. Right now they havent sat to let me do so but we will. They read only cuz they have to right now(for school) but we do occasionally read together but no favs stick out in my head.

~My thanks to *Kiliki* for the siggy and Lucy S for the blinkies~
October 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Veteran
What was your favorite book or story growing up? I loved The Baby Sitters Club series. I had nearly the whole set and read them all multiple times.

Do you read to your children? She is old enough to read now. I still do sometimes, mostly books that are a bit to challenging to her.

Do they have any favorites? Henry and Mudge, Junie B. Jones , the Biscuit books

We have one of those babies first words type books. I think she still looks at it from time to time. She always reads it to my 1 year old nephew.
i:heart:you likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
What was your favorite book or story growing up?I loved Robert Munsche books. As well Bearenstein Bears and Nancy Drew novels
Do you read to your children?I do read to Emily yes. But lately, I've been encouraging Belle to read to me while I cook dinner. It completes her class requirement to read for 15 minutes 5 days a week.
Do they have any favorites?Emily loves books from Sesame Street or with Princesses, and Gabrielle is into chapter books like Disney Fairies, Magic Tree House and Classic novels like Treasure Island.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki*~~
Visit My Blogs:
~*~
October 1st, 2012, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved reading anything I could get my hands on growing up, as a preteen I love the book Dancing on Edge as a teenager and still I love White Oleander

October 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM
mommas2favs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mommas2favs
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresswife View Post
I loved reading anything I could get my hands on growing up, as a preteen I love the book Dancing on Edge as a teenager and still I love White Oleander
Gabrielle is a serious bookworm. When she first started bringing home her worksheet for us to sign in regard to her reading. Joe looked it over and said we should just sign off each day now cause she's always got her nose in one book or another.
She's a very advanced reader for her age. Which we are really happy about. I cannot begin to sing the praises of the Leapfrog Tag pen and books. That was what put the love of reading in her. ALthough I'm sure that Joe's crazy book reading habit had something to do with it also.
stresswife likes this.

~~my awesome siggies are made by *Kiliki*~~
Visit My Blogs:
~*~
October 2nd, 2012, 02:56 AM
TheOnlyPink's Avatar .... In a house of blue!
I would read anything as a child. I used to complain to the local library regularly that their limit of 6 books at a time was too small. Me and my brother used to have to work the system. We would each pick 3 books that we wanted to read and another 3 books that we would both read, so we could have a total of 9 books per week.
I loved the babysitters club too, my aunt lived in boston at the time, and there were several of the series that we couldnt get in Ireland. (Before internet shopping!) so she would send me one once a month with some tootsie rolls. LOVED getting my package!

Jake is only just learning to read now, but he LOVES books. He has advanced from books for his age group like the gruffalo and other short stories, to chapter books. He really enjoys the Horrid Henry series, the Dirty Bertie series and he has some Rold Dahl books that he adores. We are reading "Meet the Weirds" atm, its hilarious!

October 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What was your favorite book or story growing up? When I was really young, I loved The Berenstein Bears and The Monster at the End of This Book. Later, I loved Sweet Valley High, The Babysitters Club, and nearly anything by Judy Blume.
Do you read to your children? Yep! During our school time and again before bedtime. And whenever she wants to in between.
Do they have any favorites? She loves the Elephant & Piggie series, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (and all the other pigeon books), Ladybug Girl, The Monster at the End of This Book, Knuffle Bunny, and fairy tales.

Last edited by youngwoman; October 2nd, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
October 2nd, 2012, 05:27 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
What was your favorite book or story growing up? When I was smaller, I loved Golden Books, Berenstain Bears and Amelia Bedelia. As a teen- Sweet Valley Twins, Sweet Valley High and Babysitters club <3

Do you read to your children? YES!! Since the day she was born. She reads to me a lot now, though, since learning last year! I love it.

Do they have any favorites? Anything. She really loves Berenstain Bears or anything princess related.

October 2nd, 2012, 05:48 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
as a small child..probably anything by Dr Suess....as I got older I really liked reading the VC Andrews books...mainly Flowers in the Attic

as for my kids
Helena and Elyse really do not hve a favorite book...well if you ask Helena any book that is about as big as she is she loves LOL she always brings home the really huge books from library haha....Elyse is not much of a reader....never has been even as a baby she really didnt like sitting there and listening to me read LOL...Raianna likes spooky/creepy like books right now....i read to them as often as they let me

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
mom2more's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What was your favorite book or story growing up? When I was in elementary school I loved reading Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, and Hardy Boys. I still have all my old books
Do you read to your children?Do they have any favorites? Yes!! Right now baby is liking the books that make sounds. I have been reading the Hunger Game series with all 3 of my older kids. My 10 year old is liking Harry Potter Books. And my 15 year old loves all the Vampire Series books. My 14 year old is not a big reader, but is really into the Hunger Games series. Last night we were reading the second book aloud and he actually said for the first time he felt lost in a book

October 2nd, 2012, 06:38 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
What was your favorite book or story growing up? Eloise!
Do you read to your children? Everyday!
Do they have any favorites? She loves "flip the flap" books and touch and feel ones. She is at a very tactile stage right now.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
October 2nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
What was your favorite book or story growing up? When I was really little I had this old book, not sure where it came from, but my parents said I made them read it to me over and over again. I think it's called The Big Top, or something similar about a circus. I need to dig it out of my storage box. I can't wait to read it to Sophia! Then when I got older I loved The Babysitter's Club.

Do you read to your children? I definitely plan on it! Can't wait!

October 2nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE Golden Books, I am trying to get a collection going for Audrey.
My teachers had to give me special reading assignments because I read 2 grade levels ahead of everyone else in class, in 4th gr I was given this book "witch of black bird pond" to read while everyone else read something "easier" and since it was about a witch everyone made fun of me saying I was a witch, I totally played along and scared the crap out of some stupid boys though haha

October 4th, 2012, 07:19 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
ohh other books that i read as a younger kid were the boxcar children books those were great!! i even got some for my kids..they dont seem as interested in them as i was LOL

i think i read almost all the sweet valley high and babysitters club books too LOL man forgot about that stuff!! haha good times!!

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

October 5th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What was your favorite book or story growing up? When I was too young to read I remember my mom reading to us kids all the time and loving storytime. The favorite book in the house was a collection of short stories and children poems. To this day I have dozens of them still memorized. Haha! I was read to a lot growing up, I remember loving beatrix potter books. Once I got to reading more on my own I remembering loving the Little House on the Prairie books, American Girls books and Anne of Green Gables books. But the ones that stood out to me were the Girl of the Limberlost, Freckles and George Macdonald fantasty books, then I adored the Chronicles of Narnia and once I was a little older I read The Hobbit I began devouring the Lord of the Rings trilogy by the time I was 12.
Do you read to your children?
Since they were still in the womb and haven't slowed down since then. I've read every day to them since they before they were born and even though DD is starting to read on her own, I still read out loud daily to them.
Do they have any favorites?
Their favorites change as they grow. When DD was a toddler I read " The bear snores on " so many times to her I could have her on my lap- lean back and relax a bit -close my eyes and flip the pages while reciting the words.
That and "Cowboy Small" are the memorable ones.
My son on the other hand had his obsession with "Goodnight Moon" For way too long. One they got a bit older , Dr. Suess used to be all the rage, then disney golden books, now it's superhero beginner reading books- DD likes them because she can read them almost without any assistance and DS likes them because his big sister likes them and he's at that age where he has to do everything she does.
stresswife likes this.
October 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidgetMommy View Post
What was your favorite book or story growing up? I loved The Baby Sitters Club series. I had nearly the whole set and read them all multiple times.

Do you read to your children? She is old enough to read now. I still do sometimes, mostly books that are a bit to challenging to her.

Do they have any favorites? Henry and Mudge, Junie B. Jones , the Biscuit books

We have one of those babies first words type books. I think she still looks at it from time to time. She always reads it to my 1 year old nephew.
Me too...I loved The Baby Sitters Club.

Lily reads on her own, she likes the Diary of the Whimpy Kid series, she is on book 4 now. Last year it was Junie B Jones....Tommy likes a lot of board books and stuff, we do read Good Night Moon a lot as well.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
October 5th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved the nancy drew books, I guess thats why I still love mystery and crime books and shows

October 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Veteran
Haha, tons of BSC fans. Our teeny tiny library has quite a few of them. I have thought about checking them out for myself. I'll definitely be re-reading them once DD gets into them.

SAHM to Mercedes (4/8/05)
October 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Super Mommy
What was your favorite book or story growing up? My favorites were Goodnight Moon and Love You Forever
Do you read to your children? Yes
Do they have any favorites? They love the two I mentioned above, Angelina Ballerina, Pinkalicious, and the Olivia books, among others.

Tags
sahmchallenge

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search